I really love the way John Mayer plays. I feel like i can't even get close to the things he is doing. What would be some things that i could practice to make me able to get closer to where i want to be. Should i know any scales or patterns? Or should i practice perfecting his songs??? Thanks~!
I love the way he plays too. He's really just a genious songwriter. I recommend writing songs on acoustic and electric. Work on singing too. He has a good vocal tone. Meh.
Quote by zaffie8808
I really love the way John Mayer plays. I feel like i can't even get close to the things he is doing. What would be some things that i could practice to make me able to get closer to where i want to be. Should i know any scales or patterns? Or should i practice perfecting his songs??? Thanks~!

both.

Definitely learn his music, but keep in mind that if your just a beginner, your going to have to compromise by starting with his easier songs, maybe even just parts at 1st. If you find those to be difficult. Start with some easy songs by someone else you like. Work your way up. Practice, be patient, and most importantly...... enjoy the experience.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by Paquijón
Don't just learn his music, analyze it. Look at what he does in each song and what his tendencies are. It's usually a sum of fairly minute things that set players apart from one another, so keep that in mind throughout your analysis.

keep in mind you have to have the proper background to analyze it.

if your just starting to play, and have no theory background, your probably not ready to analyze it.

theres nothing wrong ( and alot right).... about learning songs just for the pure enjoyment of it. The more music you have under your fingers and in your ears... the more you have to work with if and when you do decide to approach it from a theory perspective.

If your ready for it theory wise though, I agree with you.... analyze it, learn whatever you can ( or want to) from it.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Apr 11, 2008,
Quote by Paquijón
Don't just learn his music, analyze it. Look at what he does in each song and what his tendencies are. It's usually a sum of fairly minute things that set players apart from one another, so keep that in mind throughout your analysis.

This is a great tip - put simply, Mayer knows what he's doing in terms of songwriting and theory. You'll be able to pick up some things that he does; for starters, lots of altered and extended chords as well as jazz voicings.
For John Mayer's stuff, you should learn about chord construction and the different voicings. I got some really good books about music theory, just PM and i'll send you the link.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS