I have been playing the guitar for about 2 years and I have come across a snag point in my play...

I want to sing along...

I am having a bit of a problem with this mostly since most songs are a bit off beat with the music behind it. I have been playing the trumpet for 14 years and whenever I "sing" my notes in a composition, it is always in beat and follows perfectly.

Are there practicing techniques and or drills for helping to sing off beat.

Some of the songs I am working on right now that I know most of the words to is Hootie and the Blowfish's "Hold my Hand" and "Let Her Cry", Three Doors Down's "Be Like That", Green Day's "Wake me up When September Ends" and "Good Riddance", and The Used's "I Caught Fire"
Im not singer but i can generally do it to songs Like Wake me up when september ends, Learn All the Words first..Learn the Guitar part.. then practice it slowly with the music. if you ccan't slow it down practice to speed witht he music..Good luck
metallica's 'damage, inc.' is a great example of singing/playing on the downbeat. my understanding is that it's deceptively hard to do and to do well. post here if you find any good tips for it?
Try learning the guitar part and then learning the lyrics. Once you have that down, play and sing with the recording.

If you can't do it right off (its tough!), try just hitting the first chord and letting it ring while you sing the correct part. Over time (it takes tons of practice), you'll get better.

Another tip is to sing other easier tunes first and get a knack for splitting your brain for both parts of the difficult stuff (its how pianists do it).

Keep practicing.
Quote by penner
yeah just repetition

practice makes perfect

i know that's vague advice but it works

Yes it does.

99% of playing guitar is.... playing guitar.

It goes for singing, songwriting... etc.