Page 1 of 2
Hey guys, I've been playing for year and half coming up on my 2nd year in August. I wanted to know what type of music were you able to play, i know everyone is different but just wanted to ask still, thanks
LOL
I could play Slayer's discography (up until Divine Intervention), a lot of solos, knew chord construcion, could read music perfectly (had it down somewhat from piano and trumpet), and had already written upwards of at least a hundred songs.

I've been playing seriously for four years, been twiddling for roughly thirteen.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Last edited by Slaytanic1993 at Apr 10, 2008,
At my two year point I could play all of the All Along The Watchtower solos up to speed without using a wah, still working on that btw.

I've been playing over 2 1/2 years.

Edit: If you want to know if your on the right track, I think that If you can play most classic rock solos, and have developed your own style when improving, and can improv for more than like 3 minutes at a time without repeat, then I guess thats where you should be at.
My Gear:

Guitars:
Fender American HSS Stratocaster

Amps & Effects:
Hand-Wired JCM 800 2204
Hand-Wired V30 2x12 Cab
Keeley TS-9 Tube Screamer
ISP Decimator
EHX Holiest Grail
Modded Dunlop Crybaby
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Last edited by LightningRider at Apr 11, 2008,
not there yet, and i can play a lot of acdc, sabbath, and GNR. I started 3/13/07. didnt take lessons until sometime in april last year.
Quote by silhouettica
Oh, DON'T use a knife. It cuts through your strings. I did that once, thinking, its the Low E, its invincible. Turns out, its not...

Quote by Kensai
Awesome
I am just about to hit my 3rd year this July.

I could play GN'R, Def Leppard, Aerosmith, Lenny Kravitz, Ozzy, and Whitesnake.

(I am a very very quick learner but I don't mean to brag)
Quote by bemiswins
if someone flames you on the internet for music you like, they fail.

Here's my YouTube if anyone wants to see some of my videos.
Ive been playin 2 years as well. The most difficult thing i can play is either Megadeth: Holy Wars, Hangar 18, Five magics or Dream Theater: This Dying Soul, Dark Eternal Night, and Forsaken.

I'v been told i learn fast but i dunno.
Quote by Dog454
Zakk Wylde is a Viking, and history has proven that you cannot own Vikings, it's impossible.

POKER..UG
oh boy, another one of these threads...

prepare for mass overload of bull****.
epiphone les paul standard
peavey bandit 112
peavey rage 158
squier stagemaster fr

trueguitarhero
-You don't seem to realize that heaven and hell are just delusions created to control the masses through fear and false promises.
by my 2nd year i couldnt play any solos or anything, mainly cus i didnt want to.

by my 4th year i did nothing but shred.

by my 10th year i stopped caring about that stuff.

coming up to my 23rd year now and i'm just happy to have the time to plug in, crank an amp and rock out which is not often.
I could play Stairway, Eruption, and Crazy Train in Guitar Center!!!!
No man is your friend, no man is your enemy, but every man is your teacher.

When he asked for John Myung, John Myung said:"Who the hell is John Myung?"

Proud User of Ibanez, Korg, Rocktron, ENGL
I'm going to be at my third year this summer and I can play some decent legatos but my picking and scales are crappity crap. I can play most of Lamb of God's stuff and they're the most technical stuff I know to play to give you an idea.
ive been playing for a year and i can play alot of metallica songs including solos, megadeth, hendrex, zepelin, and many more with solos. I have also learnd tons of threory so i no how to improvise to any song =D
Sounds like we started playing around the same time. I can't really do solos (mainly cause I'm a rhythem guitarist lol) but I can play the rhythems to Riff Raff by AC DC, One by Metallica, Number of the Beast by Iron Maiden, you get the idea. Not really hard stuff, but hard enough to impress non-guitarists.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Im coming up to 2 years in a couple of months and can play the rhythm for "Foul Body Autopsy" Im still working on getting the solo up to speed.
i've got almost exactly 2 years under my belt. I can play alot of solos by the pros that are not crazy fast. Of course, all I practice are solos, I don't have any interest in rythmn guitar
Quote by classicrocker01
Sounds like we started playing around the same time. I can't really do solos (mainly cause I'm a rhythem guitarist lol) but I can play the rhythems to Riff Raff by AC DC, One by Metallica, Number of the Beast by Iron Maiden, you get the idea. Not really hard stuff, but hard enough to impress non-guitarists.

A rhythm guitarist should be able to do lead to an extent and a lead guitarist should be a decent rhythm guitarist.....That's like saying you can't be musical with your playing because you're a drummer...

EDIT:To be on topic I couldn't play all that much since I suck more or less and refuse to take more lessons than I already have. (Around 5 I think) I think I had just learn my first solo which was Nemo by Nightwish, I knew a few Metallica rhythm parts and I preferred to just jam instead of learn a song. I've progressed a little since then (I've been playing seriously around 2 and a half years.)
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Last edited by BladeSlinger at Apr 11, 2008,
Maybe I'm just an insanely slow learner... By my second year I had pretty much played a lot less than my first, but I couldn't really play anything you guys listed... I've owned a guitar for roughly 7 or 8 years, but just got back into it like 5 months ago. I still can't play any of that crazy stuff. So yeah, either some of you are lying or I suck really bad, probably the latter. Same with my friend who has been playing consistently for 5 years. I guess MN lacks talent juice, haha.
Guitars
· Ibanez PF · Washburn WG-248 · Ibanez S520Ex
· Ibanez BTB455
· Schecter Studio 5
Amp & Accessories
· Peavey Valveking 212
· Carvin BX1200
· · TraceElliot 1028H
· · Custom 1x15 Eminence

· · Carvin BRX4.10
Quote by closertofreewil
Ive been playin 2 years as well. The most difficult thing i can play is either Megadeth: Holy Wars, Hangar 18, Five magics or Dream Theater: This Dying Soul, Dark Eternal Night, and Forsaken.

I'v been told i learn fast but i dunno.

can you play these songs with the solo's? I'm guessing you sweep really good?
LOL
I'm halfway to two years.

I'm writing my own solos, riffs, licks, and everything.

I am one of the worst cover guitarists ever though.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
This thread is full of people bragging. I'm getting better approaching my 2nd year, but I'm also becoming more and more critical to my own playing, and I always notice something I can improve in my technique.

Remember guys that guitar isn't a competition. These threads kind of make me demotivaed because I can't play much fancy stuff. It also seems quite abnormal, or maybe it's just the level of local guitarists around here, because even though I suck, I'm technically better than most local band's guitarists who have been playing twice as long as me.

I like what Devind Townsend says in his instructional video on youtube, where he explains that one should just practise technique until one can handle the ideas that pop into one's head.
Quote by SQHero
I could play Stairway, Eruption, and Crazy Train in Guitar Center!!!!

Should I ban you now?

Quote by Spoonman69
Rap is music,far better than metal for example. id much rather hear about hoes and anal sex than dragons and supressed homosexuality.
By my second year, I could play rhythm very well, most songs off Appetite for Destruction (GnR rule!), apart from solos, and started on metal i.e. Metallica, Trivium, etc. Really right now I need to improve my chops and work on harder solos and nail them properly.
Not very much. I spent my first 4 years or so just playing chords on an acoustic :P. Been playing in total for about 7-8 years and still can't solo for **** lol. I just play as a hobby really, I don't have the time/dedication to practice for hours every day.
i have played for about 2 years, and I can play almost all of ozzy osourne tribute, and all of ozzman cometh. I can play anything AC/DC also. i play a buncha random songs also.
Gear
Schecter C1 Hellraiser FR
1967 Ventura Les Paul Copy
Marshall JCM 2000 Dual Super Lead
There really is some utter bull**** in here. Especially people claiming to be able to play Holy Wars and Hangar 18. I guess you might be able to, but not "well" by any standards. Certainly no where near how it should sound. Unless they're the only songs you ever tried to learn and ignored everything else. Best to be okay with a variety of things than perfect with one or two.
Well, I still have got a year to go, but I would like to be able to play Hendrix, Metallica, RHCP, Foo Fighters by the start of two years. So I guess I better get practising
I've been for playing for about 2 years right now.

I can play:

Sweet Child o' Mine (with solo)
Stairway to Heaven (with solo)
Freebird (with some of the solo)
and many other easier songs, those are the hardest ones though.

I'm currently getting my sweep picking much much faster.
Quote by Phry
Maybe I'm just an insanely slow learner... By my second year I had pretty much played a lot less than my first, but I couldn't really play anything you guys listed... I've owned a guitar for roughly 7 or 8 years, but just got back into it like 5 months ago. I still can't play any of that crazy stuff. So yeah, either some of you are lying or I suck really bad, probably the latter. Same with my friend who has been playing consistently for 5 years. I guess MN lacks talent juice, haha.

thankfully someone like myself, iv owned a guitar for just over 2 years, i pick it up most days for about 5-10 mins, make a noise and sit it back down in the huff cause im pish i always plan on learning stuff but never get round to it, i guess when some of you guys get older and learn that women have vaginas then you wont spend as much time learning guitar
Quote by Dores
This thread is full of people bragging. I'm getting better approaching my 2nd year, but I'm also becoming more and more critical to my own playing, and I always notice something I can improve in my technique.

Remember guys that guitar isn't a competition. These threads kind of make me demotivaed because I can't play much fancy stuff. It also seems quite abnormal, or maybe it's just the level of local guitarists around here, because even though I suck, I'm technically better than most local band's guitarists who have been playing twice as long as me.

I like what Devind Townsend says in his instructional video on youtube, where he explains that one should just practise technique until one can handle the ideas that pop into one's head.

I'm terrible with covers and such and I'm not super technical but I constantly have music going through my head and the more I improve the easy I can translate it to guitar. I can also do stuff kind of by feel as well, like my friend was playing Fade to Black and I didn't know the bass part so I started playing the vocals are my bass didn't miss all that much and I didn't think that much while doing it....Freaked my friend out though.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
ive been a hobby player for about 6 years now. during my first two years i was pretty big into punk so thats about all i learned. alot of Nofx, pennywise, Bigwig, Blink-182 that kind of 3 chord power chord stuff. Im a bit like scottish nutter, i hear a song i like, say i can learn that... find a tab and learn the song as well as i can in about an hour and then wont play it again for 2 weeks. As i only play for myself, by myself, i dont have any pressure to improve other than when i want to learn a new song that has some new technique. I know i have the potential, i just need to put in the time to get better.

also didnt help that i Hated the set up i had so i had very little motivation to play for long periods. i think with my new rig i will be a little more inspired again
I can only play Black Keys, Howlin Wolf and John Lee Hooker songs all the way through, as they are usually based off one chord or riff. I really don't care about learning how to play songs how they are written. I play what I want and that's all that matters.

Most of the time I play my own improvised songs based of standard blues riffs.

Once I learn some more theory, I am going to get into some jazz stuff though.
uh, im not at my second year yet. but i can play a lot of different things, like Nile, Behemoth, Bloodbath, Death, Pantera, Megadeth, Dream Theater, Trivium, Slayer, and stuff. i cant solo, but i can learn a riff in minutes. :/
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
After playing around 10 months i can play blood and thunder by mastodon a few scale improvised solos and all the beginner basics you learn.
I've been playing a year and a half and I can play stuff like ''AWMAWY'' by satch and ''whispering a prayer'' by Vai. I can play the first two minutes of ''For The Love Of God'' too. I can improvise pretty good too.
i was able to play most of the songs on the Pumpkins' Mellon Collie, most of Nirvana's discography, pentatonic scales, a few Sonic Youth songs, wrote a lot of songs
SMALL CLONE of the EHX User's Guild

Quote by Ishiga
NOSOUPFORYOU.

Quote by Gurgle!Argh!
this is barely a question. only an idiot would buy a zune.
Page 1 of 2