I'm wantin to get a tube amp pretty soon. I've been playin with SS forever and i am wantin to upgrade to the tubes. I've been looking at the fender blues junior(15 watt) and the epiphone blues custom(30 watt). It'll mainly be used for playing at my house so i dont need a crazy loud amp. If anybody has suggestions about which one to get or if you know about other amps i should check out, that would be cool. I'm not really wantin to spend over 600
if i were you id broaden your search more, there are great tubes out there for the same price
Thoe too are both far too loud if you're mostly playing in the house, too loud for many venues in fact. Have a look at the new wave of small valve amps like the Epiphone Valve Jr, Peavey Royal 8, Fender Champ 600 and Blackheart Little Giant. Refreshingly cheap too.
ok cool due i will check them out, i've heard good things about that blackheart amp
What music do you want to play? My favorite little 5w tube amp for clean is the Fender Champ 600. And for mid gain/vintagey tones i like the palomino v8, without trying the blackhearts.
the palominos are pretty sweet huh? I'll have to check them out. the problem is there are no stores that sell smaller tube amps near my house they only sell little solid state amps and huge 100watt tube amps so i kinda gotta go off of other peoples opinions and youtube
Check out the Peavey Classic 30. It's an amazing amp.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Well i have a Fender Pro Junior and i borrowed a friends Epiphone Valve Junior for like three months
They both have very few knobs which is a great thing, the epi actually only has a volume
As for sounds the Fender has a nice dark tone and the Epiphone is very bright
So it really depends on what you prefer, the fender is 15 watts and the Epiphone is 5
They are both great amps
If you combine them both it sounds amazing.....but your probably only looking for one
The Blues Jr. is initally what I looked at, and was sure it was perfect for me. It may have been, but I discovered a few things that led me elsewhere. The Jr had a 12" speaker in a very small cabinet, probably too small. It also has the "short" spring reverb, as opposed to the full-size long version standard on most Fender amps (including the HRD.) Also, there is no option of footswitchable channels, only a "FAT" on/off toggle if you buy the optional footswitch.

Quality wise it is great, just consider those points before purchase.

Good luck,

Greg
Fender 60th Anniv MIM Strat (SD Little 59er Br)
Agile AL-2000 Rootbeer Flame (GFS Vtg '59)
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
GFS Chorus
DS-1
Quote by djuta

As for sounds the Fender has a nice dark tone and the Epiphone is very bright

I think you might have those backwards. I've heard VJ's were known for being dark, and Fenders are most always a bright amp.
Quote by TUMFP
I think you might have those backwards. I've heard VJ's were known for being dark, and Fenders are most always a bright amp.

see thats what i thought too, but after playing both of them i thought the Valve Junior was alot brighter. But tube amps are different every time and sound completely different with different guitars. But back on to topic i would say you should go to your local music store and play some new and used amps there. I got an amazing deal on my used Pro Junior.
Does the pro junior buzz, hiss, or hum a lot? I've heard that they do. Confirm/deny?
86% of the people who frequent the "Electric Guitar" forum would say that they have played guitar for under 5 years.
Quote by AznElliot518
Does the pro junior buzz, hiss, or hum a lot? I've heard that they do. Confirm/deny?

I didn't think my friends did very much on any of the occassions that I played it, but any amp will buzz and hum a lot if you leave your laptop on top of it, or play in a small space with lots of electronic interference.

TS, you need to decided if you want a dedicated practice amp (Blackheat, Valve Junior, Champ 600) or a mid-powered tube amp that you could gig and jam with effectivly (Blues Custom, Blues Junior, Palomino V32, Peavey Classic 30/50).
Quote by AznElliot518

CONFIRM - Click my sig. It's not electrical buzzing. The enclosure is too small for the power of the amp so everything buzzes and the tubes pick it up and amplify it. It's actually a mechanical rather than electrical issue. The PCB, tube bracket and everything basically vibrates to the point where you'd raher just leve it alone. If this didn't happen this would be a great amp but it is a chronic problem brand new with the Pro Junior.
Quote by djuta
see thats what i thought too, but after playing both of them i thought the Valve Junior was alot brighter. But tube amps are different every time and sound completely different with different guitars. But back on to topic i would say you should go to your local music store and play some new and used amps there. I got an amazing deal on my used Pro Junior.

Good to know, I have to yet to try either and was going of inferred knowledge.
Fender super champ xd
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
no but it does rattle a bit, but you cant really hear it unless your listening closely. I bought it mainly because is it was smaller then the blues junior and i needed a small amp to take to jazz practises. Its actually my only amp right now cause i sold my Fender FM 65 and Line 6 Spider II. Oh and by they way, never buy a line 6.