Please can you guys recommend me computer programs,guitar videos,guitar books, or anything to make my guitar playing way better?

I think I'm probably the worst guitarist ever! and I need big help guys!

Don't say practice because I do..I need some else to depend on while I'm practicing.I would like something to improve my theory work and exercises.
Last edited by The Minorthreat at Apr 10, 2008,
did you just start playin???everyone sucks when they start, thats why they practice.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

*sigh*
practice and get a guitar teacher
if you think that this is something you get instantly good at by reading some magic book or something you are wrong
seriously
PRACTICE
Dick+strings= owww
books dont make you better. you make you better.
people get the false impression that books will make them way better, when theyre mainly for reference
Practice. Practice...

Practice.

if there's time, sleep, then practice some more
Homemade Strat
ESP EC1000
ESP MH 400 w/ Original Floyd Rose
Epi Les Paul Custom
Line6 Flextone
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier
Furman Power Cond.
DOD rack EQ
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Wah
Boss FL2 Flanger
Line6 Tremelo
Line6 Echo Park
find a song you want to play and practice it til your fingers bleed
Homemade Strat
ESP EC1000
ESP MH 400 w/ Original Floyd Rose
Epi Les Paul Custom
Line6 Flextone
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier
Furman Power Cond.
DOD rack EQ
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Wah
Boss FL2 Flanger
Line6 Tremelo
Line6 Echo Park
u just start man? u wont suck for long dude keep going, i learned by myself and in 6 months the girls flowed
meh
if your cheap-ass and want to be self taught get a couple books for referance on scales and chords, and optionally one on theory (trust me you need this).

but you will get to a point where you just wont get better.
Quote by EddieCraig
if your cheap-ass and want to be self taught get a couple books for referance on scales and chords, and optionally one on theory (trust me you need this).

self taught guitarists are cheap-asses?
Get a guitar teacher, scheldual out your practice, and pickup the most recent guitartechniques (with "PLAY BETTER" on the cover)
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Self-taught - cheap ass? That's the biggest load of bollocks I've ever read, though I'm guessing it wasn't meant seriously.

Don't lose patience - the players who learn everything from books and videos are well set to become guitar teachers, but those who constantly listen to others, figure things out for themselves, experiment, and innovate, are the ones who have the real potential.
Quote by The Minorthreat
Then your tool if you think that my friend.

answer this.

what point would their be to not take lessons if your not cheap and have the money?
also it wasnt meant as insult
if you like it i will call you very frugal
Quote by EddieCraig
answer this.

what point would their be to not take lessons if your not cheap and have the money?

Too broke to afford lessons. Does that make me a cheap ass?
Quote by EddieCraig
answer this.

You called me a cheap-ass

Oh the flattery!
Quote by imgooley
Too broke to afford lessons. Does that make me a cheap ass?

and aside from that
Its not enough to just practice an hour here or an hour there. When I find myself improving the most, it is when I just go on a guitar binge for maybe 4 or 5 hours on end. If you're not practicing for extended amounts of time, improving will be difficult.
My Gear:

Guitars:
Fender American HSS Stratocaster

Amps & Effects:
Hand-Wired JCM 800 2204
Hand-Wired V30 2x12 Cab
Keeley TS-9 Tube Screamer
ISP Decimator
EHX Holiest Grail
Modded Dunlop Crybaby
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
i agree. guitar books and teachers are not some magical thing that will make you better. All you can do is practice for hours and hours. try and go on the internet and find some good exercises to increase speed, ect... actually i was just looking on the internet for you to find some picking patterns and exercises one is to play all the frets on the guitar. like hitting the first fret on the 6th string, then the 2nd fret of the sixth string, hitting it down, switching from down strokes to up strokes. when you get to the fourth fret, switch to the 5th string and go all the way down, then go all the way back up the neck from the 1st fret to the 6th fret backwords. Just stumbled upon this link...

http://www.guitarspeed.com/gst/method.asp

i might try it out too.
Quote by EddieCraig
answer this.

Because maybe some people enjoy learning on their own?

I never considered taking lessons. I'll learn what I want at my pace the way I want to. That's why I love guitar - there are no rules, you do as you ****ing please.

I got into an argument with this kid once - he basically told me people can't teach themselves stuff! Apparently I'll never be as smart as someone who went to school(I'm home schooled and just teach myself.)
jam along to some music. it'll help develop your ear, timing, rhythm, ability to improv and playing.

i spent months where the only thing i did was listen to miles davis' bitches brew album and the live evil album where i just jammed along with it before i moved on to jamming along to a crapload of sun ra albums. granted what worked for me probably wont work for you but if you find what you like and put the time into it you'll reap the benefits.
poor and cheap ass are diffrent
poor=those things under bridges
cheapass= microsoft
The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised
-George Will

Also caught her playing fallout boy on my guitar, changed my strings and cleaned it the next day.
Buy Troy Stetina's Speed Mechanics, its not just about playing fast it teaches you how to practice efficiently and gives you plenty of strengthening exercises, scales, arpeggios and riffs to add to your arsenal. Oh and its only about $20.
Quote by EddieCraig

You're an idiot.

I'm mostly self taught, I only had lessons for the first 8 months of my playing time, and the rest of it is self taught, and I can tell you that I've progressed further than many other people do compared to other people who've played as long as me.
fretboard work book, a scale book, and a blank note book for drawing out scales and n stuff to help me memorize( ill like to draw or write stuff repeatedly to help me memorize n visualize. Fretboard warrior to help me learn the fretboard when i'm on my computer(kinda waste of money cuz it doesn't do anything i couldn't do by just drawing but then again you might not enjoy drawing) learning songs by favorite artists and stealing of their techniques and little riffs and I really enjoy using guitar pro( i know you should be trying to learn songs by just ear but this really helps me out with hearing where the notes are played, but enough experience with the fretboard and youll know where to get what sound you want) I'm still very fresh to guitar and those are what have helped me out a ton that and having good friends who i think are very talented guitarists.
Quote by MASTER JiMMY
Stop failing, and things will work out.
Actually, if you're self-teaching your self properly, you can have ALOT of potential. Because you aren't under the clock, nothing is rushed, you can sit back and relax while practicing.

I am self taught myself, and i'm not a cheapass, I just find better things to spend my money on.