Well since were doing nothing in metal work on account of our ****ty teach i was wondering if anyone has measurments for a humbucker cover or anything important i have to know

Ive never had humbucker covers so i dont realy know how to put them on or anything like that

Thanks
they wouldnt be metal, theyre plastic from what i know, doesnt **** with the magnetism
dont take any guff from these bastards man

Quote by Fenderhippie69
I only smoke when I've been drinking and I only drink when I've been smoking.
Quote by spiderjerusalem
they wouldnt be metal, theyre plastic from what i know, doesnt **** with the magnetism

wrong, they are metal, i duno if ****ing with the magnetism is an issue but if it is then they're probably brass or something
Quote by spiderjerusalem

Are you sure? They look like there metal to me or is that like a metal coat sort of thing?

Quote by lp_std
wrong

Yeah i thought so. Can you tell me what there made out of?
Last edited by the_poison125 at Apr 10, 2008,
they're are plastic ones, but the majority of them are made out of metal. usually you see them in nickle, but they can be made out of different metals.

the problem with humbucker covers is that you need to pot them, and solder them to the base of the humbucker to make sure they are grounded. The covers have little to no affect on the sound but how you wax pot them can make a noticeable change
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Quote by ICANSEEYOU7687

the problem with humbucker covers is that you need to pot them, and solder them to the base of the humbucker to make sure they are grounded. The covers have little to no affect on the sound but how you wax pot them can make a noticeable change

Wax pot?
yea, if you dont, the pickup covers can vibrate and the pickups 'pick up' the feedback from these vibrations which can get nasty...

check my sig if you wanna see how thats done, its not hard but takes a bit of time
B-52 AT 112
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Quote by ICANSEEYOU7687
yea, if you dont, the pickup covers can vibrate and the pickups 'pick up' the feedback from these vibrations which can get nasty...

check my sig if you wanna see how thats done, its not hard but takes a bit of time

Hmmm whats the worst that can happen when wax potting?

I might even make plastic covers if possible.
Worst thing is getting things to hot and melting the bobbins that hold the windings and magnets. EVH did it to his on accident when he made his frankenstrat. You can use other stuff, EMG uses epoxy but of course taking them apart again is impossible.
like tackleberry said you can melt things. If your read my tutorial I try to explain everything granted im not the best for this. If you have metal humbuckers your humbuckers will be fine as long as the temperature of the wax doesn't exceed 150* Fahrenheit. Which is why you need a thermometer.

corduroyEW is a lot more knowledgeable about this stuff then I am. He has a shellac potting guide out there which requires the shellac, and a plastic bag which works. But in all honesty I dont know that much about plastic pickups... ive only had experiences with metal ones :P

but you definately dont wanna put plastic covers in 150* wax... or atleast i wouldn't, lol
B-52 AT 112
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial