Just say what you want about them, personally i think they're

-Way Overpriced
-Way Overated
-The shape i like, i love how there standardized, just makes for a great pedalboard, but the actuall sound quality of the pedal, not very nice
-they suck tone alot

My opinion

just want your say

also, say

Best boss pedal:
Worst boss pedal:
I personally think all pedals are overpriced. Actually almost all guitar gear and accessories for that matter.

I like the ones I have, but I've wound up modding the majority of them, so they actually perform much better than the stock ones.

Stock, they leave a bit to be desired, but I wouldn't trade the modded ones that I own....

They're delays are pretty damn good,
but they're high gain products need a little work IMO.
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Over priced...

Only think there modulation pedals are usuable but the cost is doubled on those for no reason at all...

+1 for the standardized, but due to that they have to cut corners if they need the extra room. Theres a reason some pedals are huge.

I've tried a few and always returned them...
They're good modding platforms, and they have great delays, but their stock distortions and overdrives really aren't that good.
They're alright, but far from the best.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
There's some cool old ones, but anything that's not a delay or tuner that is in current production tanks.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I masturbated in front of a mirror and I pretended Bob Barker was giving me a handjob.

Quote by Bazilisck311

You know you're a guitar player if the pianist at your wedding plays "Eruption"
I have no gripes whatsoever with their tuner or delay - good quality and extremely reliable. Not to say they're the best available, but I find them quite sufficient. Not experienced nearly as much tone-sucking as deserves the amount of flak these pedals get.

There's little else of theirs I've tried that grabs me, though; overpriced and generic crap.

Personally, I'd rather buy a Behringer and adapt it to fit in a metal box. You'll get a decent sounding pedal, and you can decorate it yourself so people will think it's 'boo-teek'.
Okay, a lot of people have criticised Behringer of plagarising Boss designs, but little of Boss's stuff was truly original, and indeed same with any commerciall music company. The DS-1 is a RAT. The Blues Driver is a TS9. The Behringer DD400 is a DD-3. The Tokai Love Rock is a Les Paul.

It's the norm these days...so we may as well embrace it, and save a few quid while we're at it!
look at almost every major guitarists pedal boards and you'll prob find a boss or 2 on it. they are ubiquitous pedals and i think that most of them do a very good professional job for the price.

does a boutique phaser really sound $200 better than a PH-1r. prob not and at the end of the day, in a band context, they really do sound very well.

the newer boss pedals have got their faults but look at their entire pedal range. they've nearly perfected everything.
Quote by Kinners_11

-Way Overpriced
-Way Overated
-The shape i like, i love how there standardized, just makes for a great pedalboard, but the actuall sound quality of the pedal, not very nice
-they suck tone alot

My opinion

just want your say

also, say

Best boss pedal:
Worst boss pedal:

A little overpriced i'll agree. My DS-2 cost me £45

I don't know about over-rated. They sound trashy through trashy gear. But they seem to really come to life if you run them through a valve amp at gigging volumes. So the people who think they are over-rated probably never tried one like that.

I agree about standard shape. But based on how my DS-2 sounds, it has a very very tight, clear sound, exactly how its meant to be. It can be very buzzy, but i wanted a buzzsaw distorted effect. The sound is definitely high quality even if it might not be what people consider "a good sound".

I have no idea what you mean about tone-suck. none of my pedals seem to noticably suck tone which was a pleasant surprise when i first put them all together. with my pedals connected the signal does seem to clip when i dig in hard with my fender cyclone, and that might be the Boss doing it, although i suspect its either my old wah or my beaten up danelectro analog delay (which incidentally brings out slightly clipped-sounding delays when used with humbuckers).
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I like my Ph-2. Not a typical phaser, it's pretty extreme but that's what I wanted. Bypass on it is dreadful but I'll get around to building a true bypass box one day.

I had a DD6 and it was a bit meh... too pristine and clean even by digital standards. I borrowed an SD1 and, well, hated it. The DS-2's pretty nice for what it is.

Basically they're good workhorse pedals that are readily available and sound decent.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by Kinners_11

-Way Overpriced
-Way Overated
-they suck tone alot

My opinion

just want your say

also, say

Best boss pedal:
Worst boss pedal:

if you are using them through an mg, there really isnt much tone to suck...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground

quick! before you miss it!

1) coincidentaly, your opinion has been posted here countless times in the past, at least once a day really...SEARCH BAR

2) boss make some crap pedals yes, they also make some good pedals, and some awesome pedals

3) i have 3 boss pedals in a true bypass loop, the is no difference in tone, to my ears, when they are bypassed completely, compared to when the signal is running through the pedals, and theyre switched off.

4) stop bitching, noone cares
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Consider that Boss does have some quite innovative pedals in comparison with most other companies. I'm very much looking forward to the new slicer pedal coming out next month.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
They do suck tone and don't work well with things like Fuzz Faces, but there are some good ones. They're also great for modding.

Good: CE-1, CE-2, CE-3, BD-2, CS-2, DD-2, RT-20

Bad: DS-1, MT-2... etc.
Hey, I'm Mike.
Whenever I try a new pedal, I always benchmark against a similar Boss pedal because I know they're priced decently, sound pretty good, and are damn-near indestructable. They also make for a neat pedal board and if you can turn your FX loop on and off, you can't beat'em.

However, after plugging into an EHX small stone many, many moons ago, and a new Boss PH-3 phase shifter recently, I came to a few conclusions. First, while Boss's sound isn't bad at all, there are other pedals out there that make Boss pedals look like toys, case in point, the small stone.

But, EHX can be expensive, and not very reliable. On the flipside, I've never had a Boss pedal fail to turn on for me or leave me broke.

In the end, I think it comes down to the application. For live use I would absolutely pick Boss everytime. When recording, I'd be more inclined to go with a boutique pedal. Any effects, as long as they are clear and present are always passable to even the above-average and sober listener. But if you go to click an effect on and your sound goes bye-bye, the single-digit drunken gorilla in the back of the bar is going to notice.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
i completly agree!! i have about 10 pedals and everytime i buy one i'm thinking, wtf i could get like half of a guitar for this much or even a new guitar (crappy of course) but still its just like seriously is it worth it
I'm a fan of their older pedals, CE-1, CE-2, PH-1r, OD-1 etc.
They just sound good, and a lot of the time they wipe the floor of other pedals in the price range.
Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna make a whole lotta money

Gonna be big yeah...
(Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A Comin')

flickr
how'd u know i use an mg

actually i have done some slight modds and found specific settings where it does sound like a tube, i also have a tube emulation pre amp pedal
lolololool.

I like this thread. xD

Nahh, i like certain boss pedals, the delay and phaser for example, but theyre deffinately overhyped. And I wouldnt add one to my pedal board because im a giant bandwagon humping elitist about boss. Unless it was like tehawesomez.

Edit: lolololololllol^
DS-2 = good
DS-1 = okay, really good with mods
BD-2 = thin, also good after modding
DD-3,6,20 = gut!
OD and SDs = poor, also good for after mods

The Fender Amp Moddelling Pedals seem kinda lame.
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
what's up kinners nice to see you come aboard
yeah you pretty much hit it on the head except for they're not completely overrated
they are ovverated but some of them are good for different things for example
the ds 1 is great for a cheap little distortion pedal to get you started on pedals basically
the bd 2 is relatively good, same with delay and tuner
rest of their stuff ranges from bad to okay
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
do boss pedals have true bypass??
and what sort of mods have people done to them to make them ok?
^no, boss pedals don't have true bypass, but the bypass isn't as bad as people say it is.

I think the only unbearable boss pedal i've witnessed was the FZ-5. It was a bit "meh" on the "F" setting, but you pay for the fact it has 3 settings. the "M" and "O" settings were NASTY. rather than sound like a modelled digital fuzz like how they were supposed to, they sounded like they compressed your guitar signal into 4-bit crapness!

i'd be fine with it if it cost the usual £30 because it has 1 setting thats usable at best. But the fact that it costs more than a Big Muff is just taking the piss...
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

Last edited by Blompcube at Apr 14, 2008,
i would generally avoid boss dirtboxes but i think their modulation type pedals are good. i like their phase shifter cause of its versitility.

it kinda sucks that its 90% of what shops sell though.
Quote by no_thing101
i would generally avoid boss dirtboxes but i think their modulation type pedals are good. i like their phase shifter cause of its versitility.

it kinda sucks that its 90% of what shops sell though.

Funny, only 1 out of 5 shops by me stock any boss products at all. Here, we only really have Marshall, Digitech and Danelectro. Even then, the place doesn't have many...

Also, i too would generally avoid Boss distortions. The only reason i got a DS-2 is because when i got a tube amp i actually missed the solid-state nastyness. This setup gives me a better version of the solid-state nastyness!

I don't think they're way overpriced or overated. There are quite popular and are everywhere! For a beginner buying a DS-1 at 40$ is just fine to me. Still, a lot of pros use them too! Same with the other Boss pedals. Also, I TOTALLY agree with the guy talking about using them with crappy amp and stuff! Please don't talk to me about tone sucking bulls**t when you are using a crappy amp! I don't think a 400$ Klon Centaur will sounds any good through a Mg or modeling amp! Come on! It's all about the stuff you are using and the quality of it. I did a test lastly and I don't hear much difference with Boss pedals on my rig or not...anyway, I've never been a "tone snob", and I'm not following the trend (if you ask me, I think it's mental masturbation!)

My 2 cents!

P.S. I do love boss stuff, for I have some of them, but I hate the demos on their website, it always sounds bad, mostly when they use distortions. Please don't refer to them!
((( KoskineN )))

-ESP LTD EC-1000 Deluxe VHB
-Fender Telecaster Lite Ash
-Mesa Roadster 2x12 combo
-Fulltone Clyde Dlx, OCD, '69
-Boss BD-2, CE-5, DD-20, TU-2, RC-2
-MXR Phase 90 & EVH Flanger
-EHX Little Big Muff - Holy Grail - Micro POG
Quote by KoskineN
I don't think they're way overpriced or overated. There are quite popular and are everywhere! For a beginner buying a DS-1 at 40$ is just fine to me. Still, a lot of pros use them too! Same with the other Boss pedals. Also, I TOTALLY agree with the guy talking about using them with crappy amp and stuff! Please don't talk to me about tone sucking bulls**t when you are using a crappy amp! I don't think a 400$ Klon Centaur will sounds any good through a Mg or modeling amp! Come on! It's all about the stuff you are using and the quality of it. I did a test lastly and I don't hear much difference with Boss pedals on my rig or not...anyway, I've never been a "tone snob", and I'm not following the trend (if you ask me, I think it's mental masturbation!)

My 2 cents!

P.S. I do love boss stuff, for I have some of them, but I hate the demos on their website, it always sounds bad, mostly when they use distortions. Please don't refer to them!

well said. I had to highlight the thing about pros using them because: Yes, pros do use them. A lot of guitarists have at least 1 boss pedal in their rig. I couldn't help but notice that Joe Walsh uses an entire board of boss pedals live. Even with the Eagles, who are notorious for ensuring that their live performances are absolutely perfect in every way.

I got ma ME-50.

I love it more than my amp.

But then my amp is awful.

>_>
"Levelled up. Still no solos."
[img]http://sc2sig.com/s/eu/1405270-1.png[/img]
Quote by Blompcube
Funny, only 1 out of 5 shops by me stock any boss products at all. Here, we only really have Marshall, Digitech and Danelectro. Even then, the place doesn't have many...

Also, i too would generally avoid Boss distortions. The only reason i got a DS-2 is because when i got a tube amp i actually missed the solid-state nastyness. This setup gives me a better version of the solid-state nastyness!

theres a big music store in a city near me. they sell pretty much every boss pedal under the sun, dunlop wah, big muff and about 4 other pedals. so yeah, at least over here in australia its all there is. i did find a really nice guitar shop tho that sells subdecay, mi audio, catalinbread, trex heaps of other quality stuff and NO boss. what a relief