I have an SRX300 that I purchased several years ago. When I first bought it, I remember making some minor adjustments to the pick ups - making sure they were simmetric (I'm a bit of a obsessive compulsive) and orderly. I recently started playing it again after about a 2 year break and I've realized that there's an above average sensitivity to the strings as well as a "clicking" sound whenever I pick hard. Does anyone have any advice on adjusting pick-up height or should I take to the dealer?

Also, I recently had to adjust my truss rod. I know it's not a good idea, but I had my bass leaning up against the wall and my 2 year old son knocked it over. After which I noticed several frets buzzing. One so bad (G string-3rd fret) would almost mute itself. So I tightened the truss rod just enough to stop all of the buzzing (using the advice I saw either in these forums or the UG site). Now, I have perfect action, more than happy with it at home, but whenever I'm at practice and I'm standing up playing and getting into it anytime I put the slightest pressure on the body/neck it mutes whatever I'm playing. I don't do it on purchase, it just happens whenever I'm moving around. I have the truss rod set right, so does this mean my rod is busted or do I need to raise my bridge or what? Please help.
Quote by mCarny
I have an SRX300 that I purchased several years ago. When I first bought it, I remember making some minor adjustments to the pick ups - making sure they were simmetric (I'm a bit of a obsessive compulsive) and orderly. I recently started playing it again after about a 2 year break and I've realized that there's an above average sensitivity to the strings as well as a "clicking" sound whenever I pick hard. Does anyone have any advice on adjusting pick-up height or should I take to the dealer?

Also, I recently had to adjust my truss rod. I know it's not a good idea, but I had my bass leaning up against the wall and my 2 year old son knocked it over. After which I noticed several frets buzzing. One so bad (G string-3rd fret) would almost mute itself. So I tightened the truss rod just enough to stop all of the buzzing (using the advice I saw either in these forums or the UG site). Now, I have perfect action, more than happy with it at home, but whenever I'm at practice and I'm standing up playing and getting into it anytime I put the slightest pressure on the body/neck it mutes whatever I'm playing. I don't do it on purchase, it just happens whenever I'm moving around. I have the truss rod set right, so does this mean my rod is busted or do I need to raise my bridge or what? Please help.

well first off, who told you pick-ups are supposed to be symetrical?
and second, you adjusted your truss rod to correct a neck being "tweaked"?
i strongly recommend taking your bass to the shop for a set-up.
what kind of bass do you have? www.tunemybass.com has a nifty "set-up" guide.
learn, before you turn, any adjustment screws. good luck.
Quote by creepingjesus73
Take-it-to-a-shop-+1 from me. If only because it ought to make no difference to the playing, what position you and it are. That fact alone says something might be far wrong. Good luck

It's not the position, it's that when I'm standing up playing I move around and I occasionly put a light amount of tension on the neck, similar to the trick you do with a guitar when you don't have a whammy bar.
Sorry, I misunderstood you! *facepalm*
Still, doing that would suggest there's not enough relief on the neck. Half a turn off the trussrod would go some way to helping out.
Having said that, I've deliberately set my BCR good and low at DropC tuning. There's a few buzzes, but luckily they aren't audible thro the amp. So a low action isn't always a bad thing - just depends what you want/need.
Thanks for the help guys. I'll try letting off on the truss rod a bit and raising the bridge. If that doesn't work I'll take it to the shop. I like to learn trial and error first.