It's a good kit to get you started. It's not like you need anything super expensive to get started.
Nay.

I am a Gibson Les Paul guy, to me Epiphone and then a Gibson is like going from plastic to 100k Gold.
Quote by bemiswins
if someone flames you on the internet for music you like, they fail.

Here's my YouTube if anyone wants to see some of my videos.
If your going to do the Epi Les Paul don't get anything below the Les paul Standard. Yes, it's a little more expensive, but the Epi Standard is a very good guitar for the price.
I think it would be good for a starter guitar. i wouldn't use it for anything but practice.
I'm against all of the "starter" kits... You can do just as good if not better for each piece of gear in those for about the same amount of money...

I'd recommend getting a Dean Evo:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Dean-Evo-XM-Electric-Guitar-103933347-i1150722.gc

Amp:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Vox-Pathfinder-15R-Guitar-Combo-Amp-481948-i1145733.gc

If nothing else get the Vox and buy the epi one its own...
It would be an okay starter. You'll be able to learn on that, but it's not that great. I'd upgrade to an Epiphone Les Paul Standard after or possibly as a first guitar.

It just depends on how much money you have.
The Epi Standard is actually a nice guitar for the money. And when you advance in your playing, you can spend some money on a nice tube amp and a pick-up swap.
High as tits
Quote by Benguitar2
Nay.

I am a Gibson Les Paul guy, to me Epiphone and then a Gibson is like going from plastic to 100k Gold.

Hope you feel good about that name you bought.
I played a 300 dollar epi les paul and liked the sound considering it was the price that it was. if this epi sounds like that one, you'll have a nice starter guitar
I saw one starter kit, looks like they are sold out now though, that was pretty good...it was an epi g-310, I know not very good, but it came with an epi vj...so overall it would be a good value package for a starter.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Quote by Benguitar2
Nay.

Are you really advocating that a newbie should drop over a grand on a guitar - there's no guarantee that he'll even stick with it

TS, the Epi is more than good enough to start with, although for ska and reggae you'd arguably be more suited to a strat-type guitar.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Apr 11, 2008,
Quote by Benguitar2
Nay.

what beginner is gonna buy a gibson?
This next band asked me to read this 'Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden and Molly Hatchet all had sex and now please welcome their two-headed baby 'Tenacious D '

myspace.com/dinosaur_sandwich
Quote by Benguitar2
Nay.

He's a beginner. You really think he can justify buying a Gibson model - that's even assuming he has the money to buy one?

Also, the difference between an Epi and a Gibson isn't that much. I've got many models of both - more Gibsons than Epiphones in fact - and there's a lot of overlap between them. I'm not saying that that low-end Epi Special-II can match up to a Custom Shop VOS 1959, but if you look at the Epi Standard vs the Gibson Studio (the two best selling models from each brand), the differences are negligible, and in many areas, the Epi is actually better. It's not until you start comparing an Epi Standard vs Gibson Classic Custom or an Epi Studio vs a Gibson Standard that you really start to notice big differences such as you're claiming. And an Epiphone Elitist model is better than any production (non Custom Shop) Gibson in every way, period.

Anyway. Special-II pack? Hell no. Buy better gear now means you'll be spending less on upgrades later on; in the long run, you save more money, and you end up with nicer stuff to boot!

- Don't buy packs
- No matter what the brand is (Gibson, Epiphone, Fender, Squier, ESP, Ibanez, etc), never buy any guitar that isn't at least the 'Standard' model of whatever type it is. 'Special', 'Studio', 'Stripped', 'Faded' and other such 'basic' versions are simply never worth the money in the long-run.
- Ska, reggae, some punk... I'd recommend a guitar with P-90 style single coils. Possibly just in the neck position, and then a regular humbucker in the bridge. If you're not aware, P-90s are single coils like you find on a Strat, but they're a bit chunkier and 'fatter' (both in terms of tone, and also just physical size), so they can handle aggressive tones that bit better than a regular single coil can. Historically they've mostly been used in blues and jazz, but reggae and punk too. I can't claim to be any kind of expert on ska, but for the other two certainly, P-90s would suit you well, I think.
for a starter kit, thats real good. When you get better, get a les paul standard and a nice amp.
Quote by RadioMuse
I'm against all of the "starter" kits... You can do just as good if not better for each piece of gear in those for about the same amount of money...

I'd recommend getting a Dean Evo:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Dean-Evo-XM-Electric-Guitar-103933347-i1150722.gc

Amp:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Vox-Pathfinder-15R-Guitar-Combo-Amp-481948-i1145733.gc

If nothing else get the Vox and buy the epi one its own...

+1
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Hey, it's a starter guitar. Doesn't matter what you get as a first guitar. As long as it has strings, functions, and resembles a real electric guitar, then you're good to go.

Besides, if you do get serious and want to move forward in the guitar world, you would be buying a new guitar anyways.

And if you don't get serious, and stop playing the guitar, you haven't wasted so much money on it then!
Quote by sektor47
Hey, it's a starter guitar. Doesn't matter what you get as a first guitar. As long as it has strings, functions, and resembles a real electric guitar, then you're good to go.

Besides, if you do get serious and want to move forward in the guitar world, you would be buying a new guitar anyways.

And if you don't get serious, and stop playing the guitar, you haven't wasted so much money on it then!

True.
def. good enough for a starter guitar...not really suited to ska and reggae in my opinion
I started with a Epi LP Standard and, I agree, for the money these are pretty damn decent starter guitars. The amp I started with was ****, so I hope this one is a little better. But I agree with Sektor, there are a lot worse ways you could start.

BTW, I moved onto a real LP ~year later and it really was like moving from a moped to a ducatti.
Quote by Benguitar2
Nay.

Man, first guitar is suppose to be the one that you expirement with..... Buying a gibson from start is just straight out dumb. What if you don't like the weight? What if you don't like the neck? What if you want a tremolo? I ask you, what do you do then?
Guitars:
1994 Epiphone Explorer
1997 Epiphone Les Paul
Tech side:
Blackheart BH5H Little Giant
Rat DeuceTone
EH Knockout
G Lab Wowhee Wah