I know Im not supposed to link to ebay but....
http://cgi.ebay.com/TUBE-AMP-VOLUME-BOX-for-FENDER-Hot-Rod-Deville-Deluxe_W0QQitemZ140221014716QQihZ004QQcategoryZ43375QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Do these work? Kind of the same idea as a power attenuator effect it goes in the effect loop instead of pre-speaker. Let you turn the power amp up and turn the preamp signal down before it goes into the power amp.
And a wise man once said:

"7 Strings are more brutal than 6"
Will the amp sound any different with the power amp turned up and the this box controlling the overall volume?

That box comes before the power amp, so you'd need to turn the amp's volume down and that up.

You'd lose a lot of your preamp gain if you did that so it's not the same as having both.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
i see. Then how does an attenuator work? I thought they just decreased the volume of the signal between the head output and the cab?

An attentuator goes between the amp and the speaker, so you can turn the amp up so you're overdriving your power tubes and then take the volume level down to a reasonable level with the attentuator.

Using a master volume means that you're not pushing the power tubes as hard.

A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Hilarious! It's just a pot-in-a-box, an EQ pedal without an EQ.

All the same, for $18 I guess it's okay if you want to put a volume pedal in your fx loop without fear of accidentally nudging the footswitch. In no way a serious alternative to an attenuator though.
I just figured it out, if you turn the signal going into the power amp down with the volume box then its just like turning the post-gain down?