I've been playing for about 2 years now and have never taken any lessons. I'm pretty good I guess.. for a guy that's never taken lessons anyway. Should I start taking lessons? would it help alot?
Quote by ksmash5
I've been playing for about 2 years now and have never taken any lessons. I'm pretty good I guess.. for a guy that's never taken lessons anyway. Should I start taking lessons? would it help alot?

yeah take lessons if you can. It cant hurt, and it most likely will help alot.
shred is gaudy music
it will help you a bunch with everything. it's better to learn with an expert right there with you.
Quote by NGD1313
Well I don't know about solos but how about that Smoke on the Water riff. It's like...impossible.

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE

I'm Jake. I'm a musician, philosopher, and exhibitionist.
i am all self taught kind of......

something or someone always has to reach you somehting right?

never had a teacher but always and still do find i am just about to get better than what i am and never happy enouph.

i find i don't really have a set goal and instaed of mastering a technique or something i just dick around wihta couple things at a time and it takes so long to get better lol

i have been contemplating getting a teacher to help myself to start flurashing. i find i have been holding myself back by not having someone else help me with a real instrumant beside me.

idk that is just my thoughts anyways
song stuck in my head today

Lessons will help you. If you're already good, take lessons with a teacher who can teach you advanced stuff.

If you have the time and money, I suggest some formal instruction.
Quote by ksmash5

it will always help. but some people learn better with a teacher and some people learn better on their own. im one of those people who likes to do things themselves. i learn by watching and listening and theres nothing wrong with that. id argue that there isnt anything you can learn with a teacher that you cant learn on your own. but some people need someone to guide them in the right direction.

but even if you are more of a self teacher, lessons will ALWAYS help.
Quote by bangoodcharlote

If you have the time and money, I suggest some formal instruction.

+1

Make an effort to find a guitar TEACHER rather than a tutor who kind of just points you in a direction with random information and has no real knowledge of teaching methodology. You will know the difference once you encounter both types, trust me, and I'm sure you will agree that the former would be more worth your time and money.
it wouldnt hurt to do some research. you can always ask around and see who has a good reputation.

But dont go in with an attitude of "you should teach me like this ... cause some dude on the internet said so"...... that will ensure a bad experience...... just go in with a good attitude and learn.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Apr 10, 2008,
Quote by lbc_sublime
i am all self taught kind of......

something or someone always has to reach you somehting right?

never had a teacher but always and still do find i am just about to get better than what i am and never happy enouph.

i find i don't really have a set goal and instaed of mastering a technique or something i just dick around wihta couple things at a time and it takes so long to get better lol

i have been contemplating getting a teacher to help myself to start flurashing. i find i have been holding myself back by not having someone else help me with a real instrumant beside me.

idk that is just my thoughts anyways

yeah I feel the same way.
Quote by GuitarMunky
it wouldnt hurt to do some research. you can always ask around and see who has a good reputation.

But dont go in with an attitude of "you should teach me like this ... cause some dude on the internet said so"...... that will ensure a bad experience...... just go in with a good attitude and learn.

I hope I didn't come off as such. It's just the last two guitar teachers I've had were like this, I guess I'm just a little disheartened.
Quote by Paquijón
I hope I didn't come off as such. It's just the last two guitar teachers I've had were like this, I guess I'm just a little disheartened.

its cool. I can understand that.

there are alot of factors. some teacher are good some are bad....... same with students (and they generally blame the teacher...often wrongfully). Sometimes a teachers approach may right for 1 student and not for another. Its trial and error sometimes.

but yeah, I know there are some guys that shouldnt be teaching. like anything theres good and bad. A little research should help you find a good one. And if you work with a teacher for while and your not getting anywhere..... just move on.

I think I mainly wanted to point out that its important to go in with in open mind and good attitude. If you in with a judgmental attitude you could ruin something cool before it even starts.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Apr 10, 2008,
I decided after 4 years to take lessons. I cant tell you what a difference it made. As stated in an earlier post make sure you get a good teacher, with a good lesson plan not just a guy to teach you songs.

I always felt I could play ok but always felt my playing was a little boring but after taking lessons I understand theory much better and my playing is much more interesting.
Gear;
Ibanez AF75
Takamine EG550
Digitech gnx3
Peavey Classic 50
Quote by telemonster
I decided after 4 years to take lessons. I cant tell you what a difference it made. As stated in an earlier post make sure you get a good teacher, with a good lesson plan not just a guy to teach you songs.

I always felt I could play ok but always felt my playing was a little boring but after taking lessons I understand theory much better and my playing is much more interesting.

cool yeah lessons can help.

as far as good teacher goes though..... there are quite a few different methods that can work. learning songs isnt a bad way to go. it just depends on your goals.
Its important for you to have clearly defined goals. the teacher should be able to guide you in that direction.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by Paquijón
I think learning songs that emphasize the material being taught(be it theoretical or a particular technique or even both) at the time is one of the best ways to do this. It's a bit more fun than just going through exercises over and over.

for sure.

I always try to tie it all together. Some students are into it and learn it. others ignore it, and just do what they want.
shred is gaudy music