Aside from the little bit of ear training I've done in Music Theory and with my bass teacher, I haven't really done any ear training. What do you all recommend as far as developing my ear?

I've heard singing scales/arpeggios as you play them helps. Any other opinions though?
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
Sometimes when I watch movies Ill grab my bass and figure out the songs as the movies going. Same for tv and commercials.
1. Check out www.good-ear.com.
2. Start working out bass lines to songs on your own. You'll start hearing intervals in no time.
3. Get a fretless. Seriously. My ability to hear tones and intervals became deadly after I started playing a fretless. Fretless basses are very very unforgiving in the intonation department. You'll hear it straight away when your not in tune.
4. And yes, singing helps. Your voice is usually the most tonally accurate instrument you own. I am not talking about how pleasant you sing, but how accurate you do.
Quote by kyle62
Buy a fretless.

Oh yes. I made my old Squier into a fretless, and I think it's already help me out a lot. And as an added bonus it cleans up your playing quite a bit as well.
Quote by anarkee
1. Check out www.good-ear.com.
2. Start working out bass lines to songs on your own. You'll start hearing intervals in no time.
3. Get a fretless. Seriously. My ability to hear tones and intervals became deadly after I started playing a fretless. Fretless basses are very very unforgiving in the intonation department. You'll hear it straight away when your not in tune.
4. And yes, singing helps. Your voice is usually the most tonally accurate instrument you own. I am not talking about how pleasant you sing, but how accurate you do.

Well the only feasible option i would have in obtaining a fretless is defretting my old Squier P. Otherwise, my money is going towards a new amp and a Korg PX5D.

I'll definitely try the others out.

I played around on the good-ear site. I was able to do the beginners page no problem. I'll move on to the other stuff later.

Thanks for the help guys.
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
In defretting your guitar, would you also recommend sanding off the dots or doing something to erase them? Paint over them, and paint an imitation patch on all the other frets?
In defretting your guitar, would you also recommend sanding off the dots or doing something to erase them? Paint over them, and paint an imitation patch on all the other frets?

You wouldn't want to do anything with the dots. The neck will need a coating to protect the wood and fill in the fret markers. Definitely not paint.
Figrue out simple melodies for a start.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
DON'T USE TABS!

I wouldn't agree with that. Just don't use tabs as a crutch or take them as gospel.
When you figure out something by ear, looking at the tab could be a way to get another opinion or fill in spots that are too tricky for you at the time.
Think of them as the answers at the back of a text book. If you keep looking at them without doing any work first, you won't really learn anything (ear-wise), but referring to them can be useful to check progress and help when you are really stuck.
Why not use a metronome? It's about as useful for improving your ear as it is improving your clock.

Yep, just went there.

But seriously, pick a song, and learn it. By ear. If that involves pausing a song every half-second, so be it. If you pick, say three songs to learn, you'll learn each successive one faster and that would in turn help your ear considerably.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..