anchroing picking hand with pinky??? is that alright?

ive been playing for 3 years and I suck and only recently realized my teacher that I had throughout the first year taught me **** and i had all these bad habits. I just recently figured out that i should be using my wrist to pick not a combination of thumb+pointer finger movement with wrist movement and my picking grip was all screwy too.

Gahhhh.......
Generally speaking, any sort of anchor is bad. Creates extra tension, and, if you break the habit, for me atleast, it made things much easier. Easier to PM, easier to move around, etc.
Especially if you start to work on your speed.
Quote by WillPlayForFood
mow lawns mutha ****a.. shiiieeett back in the old days we used to go out in the fields and pick cotton.. turns out My boss was colorblind.

EDIT:not trying to be racist.
...and don't sig me.
Matter of style. Personally i anchor when playing individual notes and dont when playing chords. I also hold the pick differently than most people. It just depends on what works for you as opposed to whats considered normal.
I decided I want to be more like the people on ug...

Searchbar!!!

That oughta do it.

Time for a supercool guitar demonstration by herman li,

Herman Li- why is this guitar so big?

Stage guy- because its a bass herman

It doesnt seem to matter, I actually see a bunch of great guitarists who anchor.
You can anchor to get a point of reference which help when skipping string, but try to not put pressure on the guitar's body with your pinky. If you practice correctly, you can achieve that.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Quote by Kayote Thunder
Exactly what is anchoring?

It's basically just leaving any part of your hand or forearm stationary on the body or bridge of the guitar.
Oh ok I don't do that.Though to use the thumb over the neck thing sometimes but oh well it doesn't mess anything up.
Quote by Kayote Thunder
Oh ok I don't do that.Though to use the thumb over the neck thing sometimes but oh well it doesn't mess anything up.

The term "anchoring" refers to the picking hand, not the fretting hand. Having your thumb over the neck is fine in most situations.