I was thinking that right after I got out of highschool, and before I went to college, of walking across the U.S.A I would go from California to North Carolina.
How long do you think it would take?
are you doing it for yourself or for some charity?

im guessing if you keep a steady pace for everyday that you walk, youd probably need a month maximum. it also depends what shape you are in, health problems, etc
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci
why are metal musicians prone to fatness?
Cause there music is heavy.

Writing music is hard D:
Id probably go a couple blocks before I realize that I could be doing better things.
Why should I come down?
From here, I can see forever.
UG walk across america thread?

I'd do it, if you graduate high school in 09
And we will weave in and out of sanity unnoticed
Swirling in blissfully restless visions of all our bleary progress
Glowing in radiant madness
Quote by Phillitalian
are you doing it for yourself or for some charity?

im guessing if you keep a steady pace for everyday that you walk, youd probably need a month maximum. it also depends what shape you are in, health problems, etc

The distance is ~2450 miles.

It takes someone 70 days to walk John O' Groats to Lands End in the UK (not including rest days) which is a mere 1111 miles.

So 20 rest days in every 70 days, you're looking at aound 200-220 days. Then again, variation in land has to be taken into account as well. The trek would cross desert and mountain, as well as other environments. A month? Forget about it.
I was actually thinking of doing the same thing. maybe we'll cross paths
Quote by BGrem261
You are a very loving and smart carton of fries...

THE BOSS of the
Official Metal Gear and Metal Gear Solid Group

Click to join
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
when enough rednecks start talking about how awesome it is, that's when it's defined as classic rock.
my uncle went from burlington, vermont to newport beach california on a bike in 82 days. he said by the end they were constantly hungry, and just wanted to get back home.

walking it might be lame for the flyover states, though. you should jump freight cars like a real man.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Quote by R0CKER1220
Just Forrest Gump it. In other words:be a man and run it about four times across.
Damn it! I wanted to do that reference!
its probably going to take you a good 4 months. most people take at least that long to hike the appalachian trail, which is of similar distance. plus figure on training for at least 4-5 months in advance. start running on a daily basis to build up your cardiovascular endurance. take a few days where you just walk all day to get an idea of what its like.

its not going to be as simple as "im gonna go out for a walk across the country. brb."
Quote by Zugunruhe
my uncle went from burlington, vermont to newport beach california on a bike in 82 days. he said by the end they were constantly hungry, and just wanted to get back home.

walking it might be lame for the flyover states, though. you should jump freight cars like a real man.

Sweet Idea. I probably should have elaborated more...

I want to get from coast to coast with nothing but the clothes on my back. pretty much being homeless traveling across the country. I get get there any way possible (except by owning a vehicle, or a ticket too one). I think the hardest part will be finding temporary jobs/ways to get food. Sure there are homeless shelters, but will I really know where to find one?
Quote by captainjackass

I want to get from coast to coast with nothing but the clothes on my back. pretty much being homeless traveling across the country. I get get there any way possible (except by owning a vehicle, or a ticket too one). I think the hardest part will be finding temporary jobs/ways to get food. Sure there are homeless shelters, but will I really know where to find one?

You should get a sponsor.
Quote by captainjackass

Nothing but the clothes on your back?

That's irresponsible. Look at the general route. Desert, mountains, forests. You're not going to be anywhere near civilisation most of the time. You'll need a tent, food, extra clothes, seasonal and climate related clothes, first aid kit... if you aren't prepared, you'll be f*cked.
Quote by captainjackass

i think you might want to bring a tent and sleeping bag too, because most of the way probably wont have homeless shelters. you could try begging a place to stay and a meal from people along the way, but that might not work all the time. and you might get texas chainsaw massacre'd.

either way, youre probably going to have to plan on sleeping outside for a large portion of the time, and being extremely hungry for the whole time. if you figure youre going to have to cover 20 miles a day, and that might not even get you through in one year, then you will be burning thousands of calories a day. you will probably lose weight and gain muscle, but it will be hard to keep up with your calorie expenditure.

and then theres the cost. the walking distance is probably going to be 3000-4000 miles, divided by 20 miles/day is 150-200 days on the road, plus you will probably want to rest/work some of the time. so if your food budget is 15 dollars a day, which seems reasonable, thats 2000-3000 dollars, which is an expensive trip. if you have that much set away, you might be able to do it without stopping and working, but that seems too much like part of the vagabond dream to miss, so you might want to get day labor jobs along the way, which probably wont pay well since i doubt they would hire you as an actual employee.

im not trying to discourage you or anything, but ive looked into it some. i for one would not do it until after i turned 21, because being able to drink in bars might help you find opportunities for work, getting laid, etc. also, you would be less constrained to going into college after the end of the year.

if you do it man, you got more balls than me, and my hats off to you.

edit: its 2300 miles from NC to davis, california as the crow flies. stretched out thats probably between 3000 and 4000 miles, i would guess.

edit: actually more like 2800 miles, over roads. thats not too bad.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Last edited by Zugunruhe at Apr 10, 2008,