hey im planning to buy a HSS Fat Strat guitar. i wanna turn it into a Tom delonge looking strat

HSS FAT STRAT http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Standard-HSS-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=516039

TOM DELONGE STRAT http://namm.harmony-central.com/SNAMM02/Content/Fender/PR/Tom_Delonge_large.jpg

so what gear and equipment do i need to get?

im gonna get a one humbucker pickguard, a sh-5 custom pickup, chrome volume knob, and i guess im gonna need some kind of pot. is that ALL i need????
if so what pot??????? help!

im gonna give it to a custom shop.
You'll need a 500k pot.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Why not buy a Fender body, neck, bridge, and tuners, and get a pre-wired Tom Delonge pick guard?
That way you wont have to wire or solder much.
Quote by Moe.
Why not buy a Fender body, neck, bridge, and tuners, and get a pre-wired Tom Delonge pick guard?
That way you wont have to wire or solder much.

cuz i dont want to paint it... and it all comes together alredy. all the custom repair guy has to do is change pickups and pickguard hook it up right and then its done
The first or third would be what you want. Ask at a music store before you buy online. You can probably get it cheaper.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Quote by xfallchildx
ye i kno, but i just want the look of his guitar. and the invader sucks i heard.

invaders dont suck, there just high output, so just turn the gain down on your amp. tom uses em, and so does synyster gates from A7X.
sorry man they stopped selling the tom delonge pickguards... i was trying to do the same with an invader and a fender standard strat i went to 4 music sites and they said they discontinued it
Quote by xfallchildx
hey im planning to buy a HSS Fat Strat guitar. i wanna turn it into a Tom delonge looking strat

HSS FAT STRAT http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Standard-HSS-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=516039

TOM DELONGE STRAT http://namm.harmony-central.com/SNAMM02/Content/Fender/PR/Tom_Delonge_large.jpg

so what gear and equipment do i need to get?

im gonna get a one humbucker pickguard, a sh-5 custom pickup, chrome volume knob, and i guess im gonna need some kind of pot. is that ALL i need????
if so what pot??????? help!

im gonna give it to a custom shop.

No. Need.
just get a prewired H pickguard and then you only need to do what, 11 screws and 3 solder joints? Are you really going to pay $100 for about 15 minutes of work?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Why would you not just get an invader in the bridge, a 500K volume pot, and be done with it? You can wire it so that the tone knobs control the neck and middle pickups so when the selector is in the 1 position you have the exact same signal path as the delonge strat. If you're not even going to have the right color, why bother throwing away useful tones just to have the pickguard look right?
P.S. Don't take it to a "custom shop." Custom shops build guitars- this is just 7 solder joints and being able to use screws and nuts. You can do it yourself, I promise.
P.P.S Didn't you do this thread a while ago and get pretty much the same response?
Last edited by Roc8995 at May 25, 2008,
^he did.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by geordyguitar182
sorry man they stopped selling the tom delonge pickguards... i was trying to do the same with an invader and a fender standard strat i went to 4 music sites and they said they discontinued it

if your looking for the pickguard try ebay
i found a site on there that still sells them
Quote by gtr_101
invaders dont suck, there just high output, so just turn the gain down on your amp. tom uses em, and so does synyster gates from A7X.

More of a reason jk
the invaders are just muddy. good pickup chioce mate.
You don't need a new pot, there will be one in there. But it would be smart to upgrade. Other than that, you should be ok. I just don't see why you need to bring to a custom guy for some simple soldering.
why not just switch out the bucker and leave the other two in? there's no point in trying to look like tom (unless you're in a tribute band). his guitar doesn't look very good and he's not a great guitarist so why take two pickup out of the guitar? you might want them there someday.