Page 1 of 2
We're going to see Nick Lowe this weekend in SF and so I dragged out a well worn copy of "Pure Pop for Now People" aka "Jesus of Cool" to listen to again. Now I haven't listened to this album in ages, definitely not since I've played bass.

What struck me when I was listening to "(I love the) Sound of Breaking Glass" was I never realized what a cool bass line hook that song had until I listened to it as a bass player. Of course, I pulled out my bass and spent a good part of the last hour teaching myself it.

So my question is, now that you are bass player, what songs have you gone back an listened to and discovered that under all those musical layers there was one cool or bad ass bass line?
anything by Rancid
Decaptivated

Ibanez S370 (all custom)
Mesa Boogie Studio Pre
Fender Champ 25se (used to power Mesa pre)
Custom 2x12 cab w/ Eminence Texas Heats
Right Here Waiting For You - Richard Marx.
Amazing melodic fretless bassline (in an extremely cheesy song)
"lounge act" - nirvana

one of their best songs imo. never noticed how good it was till i listened to the bass line and paid attention to the lyrics.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Anything by Jaco Pastorius as I had never heard of him 'til I started playing bass
Blood Meat-Protest The Hero.

I can play that ****.

On bass.
On guitar.
Go me, FTW!!!
Most that I can think of haven't been tabbed online yet :[
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Modest mouse, Franz Ferdinand and all of funk and motown
My Gear:
MIM Jazz fretless
180W Ashdown 12"
GAS:
NOTHING
The Beatles always make me laugh like that. I'm not a particularly big fan but my parents played them a lot when I was a kid. Now, listening to some of the Beatles songs, and realizing not only how non-shit the bass lines are, but how LOUD they are and how UP FRONT they are in the mix. "A Day in the Life" seems to be the craziest for me. How the hell did I miss them?

And folks, let's PLEASE not have this thread turn into a favourite bass lines thread. The point is noticing songs have cool bass lines - songs you've heard before playing bass. The first mention of Victor Wooten should result in this thread being closed.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Pink Floyd. For the majority of their songs I never really paid any attention to the bass, only the genius of David Gilmour (one of my favorites). After picking up bass and tuning my ears to lower frequencies, I have realized what a melodic genius Roger Waters is. In most songs I find, Waters really carries the mood of the song.

Led Zeppelin's "The Lemon Song" really opened my eyes as well. I had never really listened to the bass before, but when I really heard it for the first time...damn. I feel the same way about a lot of Sublime songs.

Cream's "Crossroads" was a real surpriser on bass as well.
"Let's not be too rough on our own ignorance. I mean, after all, it's the thing that makes America great." - Frank Zappa while on the Arsenio Hall Show

Quote by vintage x metal
On a side note, TS, love the username. I'd kill to be under you.
All of Victor Wooten's stuff. I mean, I loved his stuff to start with and recognized the bass, because that's all there is pretty much, but when I picked up the bass and heard it, I tried really hard to play his stuff.

--Arojekt.
R.I.P. Andrew Thomas Butler - 11/07/07. You're in our hearts forever, man.

Setup:
Traben Phoenix 5-String Bass.
Ibanez Soundgear 300 DX 4-String Bass: Blue (For Sale. Contact me if you're interested.)
Dingwall Afterburner II 5-String Bass.
Quote by thefitz
The first mention of Victor Wooten should result in this thread being closed.
Quote by Arojekt
All of Victor Wooten's stuff.
...So are you two going to fight or what?!

Actually this is a pretty topical thread for me. I'd listened to Nirvana some before I played bass. AND I'd listened to them from time to time after picking up the bass. In fact, I've covered almost half a dozen Nirvana songs in my early, cover band days [reminisces].

But today... TODAY... I actually listened to Nirvana for the first time in awhile. And for the first time, I heard how prominent and important Krist's basslines are in the mix. I mean of course, he wasn't mind-blowing or anything, but I mean, I never ever even paid attention to the instrumentation in Nirvana until today. And he carries that bottom end. It's pretty crazy.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
I remember listening to Stone Temple Pilot's "Interstate Love Song" and thinking, "This song is really groovy!" but never understood it was the bassline that made the song groove.

Then, when I started to play bass, it all came together.
Sabotage by the Beastie Boys, I always thought it was either some rythm guitar shoot or some dj-ing bullshot, but appearently it was just heavily distorted bass.

Yeah now I play it a lot.
So an irishman walks out of a bar.
I didnt really notice bass all that much till i started playing it, but for me the song that sticks out is "The Sleep" by Pantera. The bass isnt mixed that high in the Pantera records, but Rex does some amazing little melodic licks in the acoustic bits and under the solo.

I could write a really long list of other songs, but the truth is since playing bass I have a better appreciation of all music. Even annoying pop on the radio usually has some cool little bass thing going on (not neccesarily on a bass guitar) and this improved listening makes music so much more interesting and fun.
Definitely the Beatles stuff, as thefitz said.
'Something'...that's not even McCartney's song! Yet it's got a great melodic bassline. I know it might have been Harrison who wrote it, but even so, to put bass that high and important in the mix is quite unusual and very cool.
I think nearly everyone has heard a lot of the Beatles, but when you sit down and really listen to it then it's just amazing how dominant the bass is. I remember a magazine poll of the 100 greatest musicians of all time, and the bit about McCartney was as much about how he turned bass playing upside down as his singing.

Queen, as well. Sure, there's songs like 'Another One Bites the Dust' where Deacon is obviously there, but if you listen to songs like Crazy Little Thing Called Love, No-One But You, or even Bohemian Rhapsody, the bass is doing very cool stuff that you wouldn't even notice without thinking about it.

'I Will Survive' and 'Son of a Preacher Man' both have great bass, too, that you might not notice...and if someone puts the latter into Guitar Pro or Powertab, I'd be extremely grateful.
Quote by WhyLater

Actually this is a pretty topical thread for me. I'd listened to Nirvana some before I played bass. AND I'd listened to them from time to time after picking up the bass. In fact, I've covered almost half a dozen Nirvana songs in my early, cover band days [reminisces].

But today... TODAY... I actually listened to Nirvana for the first time in awhile. And for the first time, I heard how prominent and important Krist's basslines are in the mix. I mean of course, he wasn't mind-blowing or anything, but I mean, I never ever even paid attention to the instrumentation in Nirvana until today. And he carries that bottom end. It's pretty crazy.

Very similair stories,including the covering of Nirvana songs....found an old setlist the other day, remebered covering Nirvana and Primus (Too many puppies, the easiest song, I wanted to do Srgnt Baker as I remember, but my guitarist couldnt be arsed to learn it)

Anyway, bringing me on to my next couple of points, Primus, Tommy the Cat was a song I'd been sent by my mate, and listened too, and thought was rubbish, I'd also hard Wynona and seen the video...

fast forward 6 months, when I'd been playing bass a little bit and I re-listen to Tommy the Cat, sitting bored at my computer, and suddenly it all made sense...now possibly my favourite song of all time.

Also, Marilyn Manson, in particular with the Antichrist Superstar album, has some great driving bass work by mr Jeordie White, a lot of it is roots, but it just drives the music, and I never picked up on that until I played bass (the first stuff I learnt was Manson)

but he plays a thunderbird

but he's back and doing a new album man I love Twiggy
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Wonderwall by Oasis has got a great bassline.

You just can't really hear it on the recorded version so I just noticed it when I had to learn it for my ex-band.
Maruszczyk Frog 6 custom -> TC electronic Polytune-> Markbass CMD mini 121 + Markbass traveler 121H

Playing bass in Bamboo Avenue (Like us on facebook! )
EP out now!
Welcome To The Jungle (esp. the intro with the 5ths) and Mr. Brownstone by GNR are two songs i didn't particularly like but when i started to play them it was totally different.
"When i've got the music
I've got a place to go"

Quote by watchingmefall
Goog luck killing everybody at VH1.

Member #37 of the UG Queen Fanclub!...PM Hanzi_G to join!
Same old Nirvana story for me too but also Gun 'n' Roses, I never realised just how much Duff did for their songs.

EDIT: I forgot to mention The Strokes and Elvis Costello, they have some really great basslines which I had never noticed.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Last edited by indie-bassist at Apr 11, 2008,
Primus: My Name Is Mud
I seriously thought that it was all drums. I didn't even know a bass could sound like that!

I've always kinda been able to pick out the bass line in a song. Thats the main reason that I started playing bass.
Quote by thefitz
The Beatles always make me laugh like that. I'm not a particularly big fan but my parents played them a lot when I was a kid. Now, listening to some of the Beatles songs, and realizing not only how non-shit the bass lines are, but how LOUD they are and how UP FRONT they are in the mix. "A Day in the Life" seems to be the craziest for me. How the hell did I miss them?

Same for me. My parents introduced me to the Beatles at a young age, but back then I never was conscious of there even being a bass. I thought of it as just another guitar sound. Its interesting now to look back at that perspective and be like 'what the hell was i thinking?'

But Sir Paul really had some kickin' lines. Songs like 'Something' are amazing....
To be honest bass got me into music and I didn't listen to much before starting bass. However I will say a lot of the Stones' stuff has much better bass lines than I ever would've attached to before. Like Harlem Shuffle or Winning Ugly.
A lot of things that I thought were guitar until I started playing bass. Also, just about all of the Beatles. Some of the lines are really simple, but they sound great.
definately as indie said, i never realised how good gnr basslines were until i picked up bass
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
I suppose Rage Against the Machine, if only because I started listening to them pretty young and it was mostly about the angry guy with dreads shouting "fuck you!" until I grew up a bit and started to appreciate the music.
For me, it was more bands that had good bassists I couldn't hear or appreciate. Such as Deep purple and Queen. We Rock by Dio had an awesome galloping bassline I never would have heard if I didn't pick up bass also.
Blink 182 and Green Day

*Shifty eyes*

No, really, although some of the bass is quite good for the music!

It would have to be Steve and Waters. For me, when I hear their music, the bass is just so visible now compared to a few months ago. Yup.
The Killers. I was never really into indie much, and had always pretty much dismissed The Killers after hearing Mr. Brightside too many times on the radio. I had heard most of the other Killers singles at some stage in my life. Just the other day, I got Hot Fuss off a friend, and listened to songs like Jenny Was A Friend Of Mine, which I had heard dozens of times. But my god, I never realised that their bassist is actually really talented. The bass line to Jenny in particular is really quite cool, which I had never noticed before.

To be honest, I appreciate light indie and poppier stuff a lot more these days, as a lot of them seem to have really good bassists which I had never realised until I started playing bass and then really listening to some of the songs on the radio and focusing on the bass. I'm just saying this in general as I can't actually think of any very good examples right now, but it kind of fits into the thread topic.
Quote by evening_crow
"lounge act" - nirvana

one of their best songs imo. never noticed how good it was till i listened to the bass line and paid attention to the lyrics.

I found the same with that song.

I'd probably have to say the verse riff for "This Charming Man" by The Smiths, It's pretty good imo.
Pretty much every CLASH song. My dad played them a lot when I was younger and got me pretty much hooked on them. I didn't realize how great the bass was until I started playing.
I'd say some Radiohead tracks have nice basslines.

Also Queen, I love the bass line to Bicycle Race

EDIT: And Killer Queen, that's pretty funky.

EDIT2: The Jam have pretty cool fun basslines, songs like Start! and In the City.

I think I'm done now
Last edited by Froggy McHop at Apr 12, 2008,
Page 1 of 2