i dont know if im in the right forum, but oh well

plannin on gettin my first half stack nd the local guitar store carries crate and traynor half stacks, they may be able to get in like marshalls or something, or i can get some out of musicans friend, or somethin, but i dont hopefully want to go over a thousand if i can help it i want:

-all tube
-over 100 watts
-some crazy distortion (enough to get the job done anyway)
-although a good clear channel
-at least 2 channels
-under a grand (for both head and amp)

i dont want to sound like i want it all for the lowest price but i need somethin a bit bigger than a practice amp. i personally havent owned one so i am asking the members of UG to lend a helping hand if possible. ive also heard that marshall has tubes that burn out like alot, but thats just wut i hear.

musicans friend has a marshall for like 599.99 (american dollars) that is their best seller. im not sure what to think about it because of what ive heard, and the traynor custom that i played today (although freakin awesome ) is almost 2 grand.

i dont want a used one, because although cheeper it causes more problems when you dont actually know if what the person tells you is completely true. hopefully i dont get a bunch of *&%$ bout not bein a real player for askin this, hope you guys can help and thanks
100tube watts is overkill. You should look at somewhere up to 50 at max.
Check out the Randall RH50t head, and Randall RA something something cabs.
Pretty good, and cheapish.

And don't go for that marshall, it's a crap MG I can tell you.
How much are you willing to pay?
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
wanted a 100 watt tho, need to be a lil louder than 50, ive played 50 nd 65 watt solidstate, nd i didnt think they would be loud enough, so i figured 100 would yes be somewhat overkill but enought if i need to be
100w tube...? good lord what good are fans if they go deaf after seeing you live?
"You've got to trust your instinct
And let go of regret
You've got to bet on yourself now star
'Cause that's your best bet" - 311
LOLZ 100 tube watts!!! unless you are playing stadiums all you need is 30. i have filled out fairly large shows with my 30w vox at 8. trust me. even 50 is too much for most people.
ha im not most people haha, nd i didnt say traynors were bad at all i loved the custom, and cliff burton dude if you read the whole thing ud see how much :P
a tube amp generally does not sound that good if you dont have it cranked up , 100 watts cranked up is just way too loud. i always thought 30 and under is good enough
Quote by iheartprog
oh yeah and 30watt tube class a is generally louder than a 120 watt solid state.

i wasnt quite sure, but i was sure that the solidstates that i played even the 100 watt one that i played a little before the half stack today, wasnt going to be loud enough, for the just in case), i have a little Peavey Rage 158 for a practice amp that isnt near loud enough, plus the only thing that the local guitar store gets in is 100 tube, but its a small store, never played a 50 all tube
the 100 watt custom 100 traynor head is good when you have the switch on the 30 watts rather then 100
Quote by iheartprog
LOLZ 100 tube watts!!! unless you are playing stadiums all you need is 30. i have filled out fairly large shows with my 30w vox at 8. trust me. even 50 is too much for most people.

I dunno, haha. Even 100 watts is overkill for stadiums unless you want to deafen the front row.
see i you can track down one of those old marshall artist 3203 it had a tube preamp and was 30 watts it was not a bad head at all
well i cant very well try a 50 watt all tube, because in order to do that, i would have to drive to the guitar center in souix falls which is like 200 miles to try it and if im not satisfied then thats just a waste of gas, so my only option is open to the local one, musicians friend, well anywhere off the net actually, or from ur guy's experience with it
This guy has no clue, a 15watt tube amp is loud as sh*t, let alone a 30 or 50 watts tube. A 100 watt you'll never get it past 4 and you won't get the tone you want. Remember numbnuts, tubes sound better cranked and cooking. So get a 30 or 50 watt and crank the sh*t out of it and you'll get the tone you're after plus more then enough volume. Oh and just for your info, a 100 watt tube amp isn't twice as loud as a 50 watt so please do your research before you go and spend so much of your parents money.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by gforce1377
see i you can track down one of those old marshall artist 3203 it had a tube preamp and was 30 watts it was not a bad head at all

ya like i said in order to do that id have to go to souix falls, so prolly not gonna happen
Quote by DSOTM80
This guy has no clue, a 15watt tube amp is loud as sh*t, let alone a 30 or 50 watts tube. A 100 watt you'll never get it past 4 and you won't get the tone you want. Remember numbnuts, tubes sound better cranked and cooking. So get a 30 or 50 watt and crank the sh*t out of it and you'll get the tone you're after plus more then enough volume. Oh and just for your info, a 100 watt tube amp isn't twice as loud as a 50 watt so please do your research before you go and spend so much of your parents money.

ok sh*thead just cuz i asked a simple f*ckin question doesnt mean that you have to f*ckin blow up in my face, i figured cuz i had the volume cranked on the 100 watt today on the traynor i thought maybe gee maybe all 100 watt tubes are like this, you f*ckin sh*thead so before you go assumin anything maybe you should ask some questions you dickwad, and fyi im payin for all of it, and SINCE i dont live in a big **s town or anything my choices are kind of limited arent they u stupid f*ck! i dont usually like to argue but stupid f*ck heads like you p*** me off
Quote by gforce1377
well then if you get a 100 watt amp see if it has the switch to lower the watts

the traynor today did, the guy i know from there showed me, it could switch between 30 and 100 watts, so i figured that was cool, he said he'd check and see if the store could even order in somethin else like that for under a grand or a lil more, but i mainly played on 100 watt
Quote by Hubie1110
ya like i said in order to do that id have to go to souix falls, so prolly not gonna happen

You really have to understand that 100w Tube is way to much. Wayyy to much. 50w and under is plenty.
Quote by Ehosteda
You really have to understand that 100w Tube is way to much. Wayyy to much. 50w and under is plenty. I still haven't seen your price range, what is it?

um ok, $1000 or less if possible, nd i'll take your word for it, but like i said, to go try some like 30 ro 50 watt all tube amps id be a 400 mile trip all round plus cost of everything else, thats almost as much as the amp would cost haha
that is the traynor i have and i have been using it for a year and if the 100 watts is really that bad get one of the hot plates so you can crank the amp and controll the volume through the plate but the traynor on the 30 is cool
Quote by gforce1377
that is the traynor i have and i have been using it for a year and if the 100 watts is really that bad get one of the hot plates so you can crank the amp and controll the volume through the plate but the traynor on the 30 is cool

what do you mean if the 100 watts are so bad? like tone wise?
Geeze, somebody report this guy for an out of control flame on DSOTM80.
DSOTM80, don't listen to him.
the amp has a master volume and 3 seperate volumes for the channels so really you could crank the channel volume and adjust it from the master , at 100 watts it was not too bad cause it has a tapered volume knob, but i do like that amp on the 30 watt option
the amp has a master volume and 3 seperate volumes for the channels so really you could crank the channel volume and adjust it from the master , at 100 watts it was not too bad cause it has a tapered volume knob, but i do like that amp on the 30 watt option
dude f*ck u too then, just asked for help and for you to explain or help in some way but w.e. f*ck ya'll then and than you gforce you have been a big help
thanks not really here to fight with people just want to talk about guitars and amps and the like
Quote by Hubie1110
ok sh*thead just cuz i asked a simple f*ckin question doesnt mean that you have to f*ckin blow up in my face, i figured cuz i had the volume cranked on the 100 watt today on the traynor i thought maybe gee maybe all 100 watt tubes are like this, you f*ckin sh*thead so before you go assumin anything maybe you should ask some questions you dickwad, and fyi im payin for all of it, and SINCE i dont live in a big **s town or anything my choices are kind of limited arent they u stupid f*ck! i dont usually like to argue but stupid f*ck heads like you p*** me off

Temper temper, its cool you're paying for it yourself and even more so to do research and know exactly what you wanna get if you're gonna spend that much money otherwise its just being dumb, but hey its your money. Look for what tone you wanna get out of the amp and not just look at volume numbers. Besides if you liked the Traynor then buy it? No need to make yourself look immature cause I challenged what you wrote
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by gforce1377

dude thanks, i really appreciate it, but apparently everyone else on this freakin site is retarted, so i thank you for your patronage and respect towards me im fed up with this site, see ya round prolly not tho
lately on this site it seems like everyone gets bent out of shape way to easy , relax its just personal preference no need to knock what people like everyone is different
Quote by Hubie1110
dude f*ck u too then, just asked for help and for you to explain or help in some way but w.e. f*ck ya'll then and than you gforce you have been a big help

If you read my first post, it clearly gave you an indication of some help.
Also..

*reported* for swearing, flaming, and abuse; have a nice day.
Quote by Hubie1110
dude thanks, i really appreciate it, but apparently everyone else on this freakin site is retarted, so i thank you for your patronage and respect towards me im fed up with this site, see ya round prolly not tho

Exactly right. Reported!

Learn how to act in a civil manner.