Hey, first time actually having to change the battery in my guitar. I'm using emg pickups, and I was told it took a 9 volt. I jsut went through allot of emmotional grief gettign the back pane off as it was as if they welded it on. When I opend it up I was saddend to see, not a battery but a bunch of wires I have no clue what they do.

Long story short...where doese the battery go? What kind of battery? Am i int he right place? Please, feel pity for my esp, it's undergoing horrible treatment. PLease and thankyou.
What kind of guitar do you have (manufacturer, model)?
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
No idea man. I'm still starting out and I haven't gotten much into the hardware yet. So I don't know the difference between Passive and Active. Assuming Active uses a battery and passive doesn't?
They look to be passive pickups.

Correct, active pickups require a battery, while passives don't.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Quote by Bubble0doom
No idea man. I'm still starting out and I haven't gotten much into the hardware yet. So I don't know the difference between Passive and Active. Assuming Active uses a battery and passive doesn't?

yeah i just took a look at the specs. on that guitar and it says it comes with passive esp-emgs. so you dont have any batteries to worry about.
Quote by mikeyElite
yeah i just took a look at the specs. on that guitar and it says it comes with passive esp-emgs. so you dont have any batteries to worry about.

I feel bad knowing that I went stone age on my guitar for nothing ha. Thanks for the info tho man. Never trust people at music stores, even they get they're facts wrong sometimes.
Oh god, you idiot.
Gear:

-Guitars-
Esp/LTD JH-200
Ibanez RG2EX2
Yamaha FD01

-Amps-
Marshall MGDFX250 (It was a Gift)
Peavey Vypyr 15 watt

-Effects-
Digitech DF-7
Not all Emg's are "Active . They do make a Passive pick up single coil and double coil....the word " select " will be written on them and they are kinda cheap sounding if you ask me. But people may like the sound. There are much better sounding " passive pick ups " out there like for examples; Kinmans single coil sound and Gibsons Burstbuckers then Emg's version of a passive pick up...but their Active pick ups are the best in active technologies.
Other companies are trying to come out with their versions of Active pick ups...but Emg's are a hard act to follow in this area. So far to my ears they make the best Active pick ups on the planet. If you go to Emg's web site you can find nine basic diagrams that show how to wire up any of their Active pick ups with batteries to just about any guitar. They are not that hard to understand. If you are a little intimidated to do this type of work on your own then, take it to a tech...but at least you will understand to some degree how it all works with batteries.......
Quote by Lordbob
Oh god, you idiot.

That's not very nice. He was mislead. You're the idiot for making such a bold statement and offering no help/condolences.

TS, I lol'ed though. I could just picture you putting the pickup on a flat rock and hacking at it with a sharp stone. What exactly possessed you to remove the pickup? If it's passive, it really shouldn't sound like it's dying. If it was...
Quote by Lordbob
Oh god, you idiot.

Says the man with an MG.....
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by DSOTM80
Says the man with an MG.....

And a DS-1... and is actually confident in the crap

TS, I know exactly what you're talking about with the backplate. They can be a bitch to get off.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Quote by mafropetee
And a DS-1... and is actually confident in the crap

TS, I know exactly what you're talking about with the backplate. They can be a bitch to get off.

Well I have a DS-1 and it isn't a bad pedal, especially for the price I found it really depends on your amp and guitar to make that pedal sound good but through a SS amp it sounds like crap to me.

Don't worry threadstarter, we all live and learn and everyone starts somewhere. Now you know, besides EMG is famous for its active pickups so I'm guessing if you mentioned you have EMG's in your guitar to the guy in the store, he automatically assumed they were actives.
If you really want a real DS 1 pedal...get the one's that were made in Japan not Korea...big difference in sound...the Jap one is very rich and smooth in it's tone...not sharp and buss saw punch... ( unless that what you like ) and sound very good in any amp...tubed or solid state....
Quote by max v
If you really want a real DS 1 pedal...get the one's that were made in Japan not Korea...big difference in sound...the Jap one is very rich and smooth in it's tone...not sharp and buss saw punch... ( unless that what you like ) and sound very good in any amp...tubed or solid state....

They're made in Taiwan nowadays, have been for a while since early 90's, just like all Boss pedals. I'm thinking of sending mine to Keeley and getting it modded, will see though, I just wanted a simple distortion pedal for a good price.
I got mine back in the year one ( DS 1 ) . A lot of the people that heard mine do say it sounds better. Chris Duarte also uses an old Boss D S 1. I had it for over 20 + years or so ...same with the TS 9 I own. I also have a vintage Ross chorus pedal and an old Thomas organ Vox wa wa...it still works. I even have an old Gibson boomerang wa wa...still funtioning...

An old Boss D S 1 will run you about 70 dollars at a place called Atomic Music ( if one turns up in their store )....they are on line...the owners are named Eric and Lewis...they are really cool dudes....www.atomicmusiconline.com/ You can pretty much find a lot of cool things here.....