Hey guys. I've been browsing through various models of Fender Stratocasters on the internet. I've noticed that most Strats have a dark, teardrop-shaped mark on the headstock- where it meets the fretboard near the nut.

Here are two examples-

What do you call that dark, teardrop-shaped mark? And which Fender Strat models usually have that mark clearly visible?

Thanks for the help, everyone.
most fender models have that mark and it marks where the truss rod is. its usually a hole. sometimes its just a mark though.
all guitars have that hole, but a lot of manufacturers cover it with a small plate. The truss rod is used to adjust neck bow.
on some reissue models, they aren't accessible from the headstock. its filled up with wood, and in that case, u access from the heel.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
A very few models actually have truss rod access where the neck meets the body, so you won't see anything up by the headstock.

Example

Edit: Drat... EC beat me by mere moments!!!
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Thanks for helping me out, guys.

But take a look at the Fender Stratocaster in this pic-

As you could see, there is no hole/mark on the headstock. So what kind of Fender Strat model could that be?

In my opinion, the Strat in the above pic is of a caramel metallic colour. But, according to the Fender official website, the only Strat available in that particular colour is the Powerhouse Strat-

http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=0139502381

However, I don’t think the Strat in the above pic is a Powerhouse Strat, since it doesn’t have a pearloid pickgaurd or a hole/mark on the headstock.

So what Fender model do you guys think the Strat in the above pic could be?

Any ideas?
^ Discontinued model most likely.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
^^

Hmmm... she's cute...

OH! Something about a guitar? Ah... yeah... It's possible it could be a copy also. I'm not finding anything immediate on it. Truss-rod access would be on the pickup side of the neck in that one's case (like was explained earlier).
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Some strats you have to take the neck off for any adjustments.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
john mayer, jazzmaster, jaguar and i think a few mote dont have dowels in the headstock.

BTW, on the american line, they're walnut. either solid dowels (like 52 tele, 57 strat) and on the MIM they're plastic. other MIA lines they have a hole.

its supposed to be there.
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Quote by tubadude
john mayer, jazzmaster, jaguar and i think a few mote dont have dowels in the headstock.

BTW, on the american line, they're walnut. either solid dowels (like 52 tele, 57 strat) and on the MIM they're plastic. other MIA lines they have a hole.

its supposed to be there.

So what Fender model could that chick's Strat be?? It looks to be MIM because of the traditional synchronized tremolo on the bridge.

I guessed her Strat could be a '60s Strat (from the Classic line) b/c those '60s Strats do not have those dowels you speak of.
it could be, i cant say ive seen a 60's strat go through. i also only deal with necks, so hardware and body differences im not as knowledgeable on as necks

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
The absence of the walnut marker is a distinctive trademark of a 1960's Fender. Also notice the absence of the walnut skunk stripe along the back of the neck and the use of rosewood fretboards.

http://www.stratcollector.com/scn/base/64.html

American Stratocaster + Blues Junior

Last edited by Armored Artist at Apr 23, 2008,
There are 4 different variations and it depends on what type of fingerboard the neck has and where the truss rod adjustment is, how its inserted into the neck and of course the era in which your Fender is made or reissued

In the 50's Fender had a 1 piece maple neck, meaning there was no separate fingerboard laid on top. Its all 1 piece. What they did was route a hole along the back of the neck and inserted the truss rod, then filled it in with either walnut or rosewood I can't remember which, nicknamed the 'skunk stripe'. The truss rod adjustment was made at the heel of the neck, so in order to make an adjustment you have to take the neck off the body which is kind of a pain. The little 'teardrop' you see with no hole are those types of necks.

In the 60's Fender had the rosewood fingerboard. These didn't have the skunk stripe on the back and the truss rod routing was routed on top of the neck with the fingerboard placed on top of that. Because of this theres no 'tear drop' on top of the neck and the truss rod is still adjusted at the heel of the neck just like the 50's models.

In the 70's Fender moved to the infamous bullet truss rod adjustment and it was adjusted of course at the neck now. The current models have the truss rod adjusted at the nut by a little hole where you stick your allen key into. I think I covered it all
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
^ummm, we still do all those. . . reissues or not.

all maple necks (minus basses) are one piece. skunk stripe is walnut.

but what do i know? i just build the damn things. .

Quote by steven seagull
Quote by tubadude

I know, i didn't say that. I just put the dates so he knows when they started what more of as a reference.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by tubadude

So which Fender Strat reissues do not have that teardrop mark on the headstock??

Most of the reissues featured on the Fender website do have that mark.
the 62 strat, American Vintage ‘70s Stratocaster, but it has the truss rod adjustment at the headstock, Mark Knopfler Stratocaster, John Mayer Stratocaster, Robert Cray Standard Stratocaster, Stevie Ray Vaughan Stratocaster dont have dowels in them. i know more dont, but im lazy

Quote by steven seagull