Page 1 of 2
I already have an Ibanez GAX70. It's decent... I guess.

I am deciding between an American Stratocaster with a Seymor Duncan hot rail pickup in the bridge or a Gibson Les Paul Studio with Ebony board.

My influences I would have to say are deep rock and punk.

I already have one guitar that has two humbuckers (the ibanez). would it make more sense to get the american strat to learn on, and then get a les paul down the road?

also, would an american strat with that pickup suck for hard rock? i know a les paul is a lot more agressive...

thanks.
i'll be honest though... i'm much more interested in a new guitar for hard rock.

really, the main reason why i would still want to get a strat is because of david gilmour. i just love him as a guitarist, and his sound also.

however, i do understand this conflicts with hard rock. i mean, sure david gilmour can rock. but it's not heavily distorted.

so, i ask- would a les paul put jimi hendrix/gilmour to shame, in a bad way? or would it still sound good.
i'd want the lp but i'd get the strat and save for a better lp go big or go home right?
really?

i can get the strat for 600, i can get the lp for probably 7. which one would be easier to learn on- i still haven't bothered to learn musical theory and this guitar would have to do that for me. for some reason i think a strat would be easier...
Quote by APimpNamedSlick
really?

i can get the strat for 600, i can get the lp for probably 7. which one would be easier to learn on- i still haven't bothered to learn musical theory and this guitar would have to do that for me. for some reason i think a strat would be easier...

?????

The guitar doesn't affect your ability to learn theory - I learned most of my theoretical information by sitting down with a book anyway.
If you're going to get a Les Paul, either get a Gibson Standard that will retain its value or get an Edwards that will play just as well but is only worth (and sells for) one third the price.
G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727
Fender Evil Twin / Mesa 412
EVH 5150 III Mini / Avatar 212

If it's an HSS strat, go for that. Can't get much better than a good ol' American Stratocaster.

I haven't had very good experiences with Gibson as a company, let alone the Les Paul Studio. If you're going to go that route, get the standard at minimum.
studios don't hold their value?

i'll be honest- i'm not going to be looking to hold onto this guitar for so and so years until i sell it- i'm buying a guitar to keep for good. so really, if gibson studios just don't go up in value, that's alright.

american standard strats don't go up either i think. so it's pretty much a non-issue.
oh, looking at edwards, hah they look pretty cool.

it's not an hss. or well, the configuration is, however the guy put the pickup in himself. it will also come with the original single-coil. i was asking, is the duncan hot rail sufficent for punk/hard rock? it's in the bridge position. also, i kinda like strat necks, so i think they are good enough for hard rock anyways, right?
Les Paul dude. If you do upset Hendrix, SRV, And Gilmour, you'll be making Page, Rhoads, and manny others happy!
I love LPs but make sure you play both first cause I am not a huge fan of the studio neck. I like the thinner 60s neck on my classic and you can also get that on a standard.
I'd say, get an HSS strat, put a real humbucker in the bridge (the hotrail will never duplicate the right sound, no matter what the advertisements say).

Most punk rock is played on lighter-bodied guitars with heavy-toned pickups, or a heavy-bodied instrument with lighter-toned pickups; it's your call which you use (or something else entirely), but a lighter bodied guitar with a pickup change will cost less than the heavier guitar and a pickup change.

Billie Joe of Green Day for example, initally used a HSS Strat copy with a Seymour Duncan JB model pickup in the bridge - and though I won't argue for his simplistic songwriting 'abilities', nor do I think he has much particular talent - his tone was pretty much spot-on in the early days; lots of bite and a brash, raw sound. His tone now blows (a Gibson Les Paul Junior with a humbucking P-90), but his early tone? Fantastic.

Failing that, consider a Gibson SG. Cheaper than any LP model (SGs are just always inherently cheaper than LPs, due to lower demand for them), and it will give you significantly more bite than the LP would, without being quite as overly bright as Strats can sometimes be.

Also, because Gibson Studios are really ****ty guitars. Get a Standard at least.
Just from what I've heard about the studios alone makes me steer clear of them in guitar center and I don't have the balls to pick up one of the many $3000 Les Pauls they have in there. I'd go with the standard for the fact that its the better quality instrument in that price range. I had a Epi standard with upgraded p/ups and loved the tone from that but just from what i've heard it's one of the few les pauls you get pretty good quality for what you pay. So all in all if you want the Les Paul save up some more to get like a standard or something high
Quote by MASTER JiMMY
Stop failing, and things will work out.
and yes of course the studio is gonna be better than the epi standard but is it $700 better is my point
Quote by MASTER JiMMY
Stop failing, and things will work out.
Strat all the way, even the MIM ones I've tried has been a lot better than any Studio I've played. The Strat is much more quality and value for the money, if you ask me, I know many Gibson fanboys that would say LP. I'm not a fanboy of any brand, or, I'm a fanboy of the best guitars. Which I think is Fenders.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
A strat is a better bult instrument then a gibson in most cases
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
I'd go for the LP.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
I'd take a Les Paul over a Stratocaster anyday.

For me, I like the thick, crunchy, punch that comes in Les Pauls / humbucker equipped guitars.

But it depends on what type of punk tone you are going for.

You can get a unique tone on a stratocaster.
Gibson LP standard ftw
Gear
Gibson Les Paul std faded, Godin LG
Marshall jcm900
Keeley ds1, maxon od808, boston tu500, RMC Wizard
Strat with stacked single coils and vintage switching. That way you have humbuckers in one position and single coils in another. My Tom Anderson just smokes with really heavy distortion so don't let anybody tell you you can't do heavy with a strat.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
get the les paul studio...i own one and it's a really great guitar,be careful when choosing one cus sometimes the studios don't come out perfect and at times u get a bad guitar....on the other hand in some cases u get a beautiful instrument worth every penny. imo the studio plays just as good as the classic and i personally prefer the stock pickups on it.if u are looking for a modern meaty sound than the lp is a great guitar.
I'm a Les PAul lover so you know my bet.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

It depends on what sound your looking for, if your looking for a more generic but thicker bad religion, sex pistols style tone, then the LP will deliver and the strat wont be able to replicate that. If your looking for the clash, ramones, more twangy tone then the strat would be the best.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
4)??????
The Stratocaster.
Due to a confusion with account setup, the account "Big Sugar" has been banned. That account was/is me. TO CLARIFY: Sinnessjukdomen = Big Sugar
both good, and both very different, hard to compare. you could always get the strat and throw a stacked humucker (jb jr or lil 59) on it with a splitter add the humbucker and single coils sounds.

i wouldn't get the studio. with an LP, i'd wouldn't start lower than the classic or standard. classics are great too, love the way they play and sound, and are a bit cheaper than the standard.
- Fender, Taylor, Martin, Ibanez, Ramirez, Marshall, Boss, Morley, Mesa/Boogie, Univox, Shure, Monster, Dunlop, Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, Lace, Sperzel, DW, Tama, Zildjian, and a little Johnnie Walker
i would send a guy named xwearesinking a whole bunch of money.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
What amp do you have?
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
stacked singles dont sound like full sized humbuckers.

and what amp do you have?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
a hot rail is going to just fine. besides, your gonna want a little bit brighter tone for punk anyways. adn for hard rock... my strat can handle it just fine and it doesnt even have a hot rail in it.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
^so then you have a hot rail?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

no but i have played one with a hot rail in it.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
you can just get an HSS strat (humbucker in the bridge). It still wont sound like a les paul but it will sound thicker
The Mitch Clem formula
4)??????
id say get a mexican hss strat put a seymour duncan jb in bridge duncan hot rails in neck and chnage pick gaurd, and tuners and you have a kick ass guitar for cheap price
Quote by itchy guitar
no but i have played one with a hot rail in it.

and you like hot rails for hard rock? now i wonder what amp you were using.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Page 1 of 2