as im new to tube amps, and have been playing through the same two solid states for 7 years due to having no money to afford a tube amp or any new gear for that matter, im am pretty in the dark with tube amps.

now i was looking at the epiphone So Cal tube head and while looking through the specs i found that it had a solid state rectifier....

heres the link anyways:http://www.guitar.com.au/amplifiers/electric/epiphone/So-Cal50H.htm

also any ideas or thoughts on the amp???

It seems like a very nice amp, although I haven't tried one yet.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
it is normal.

I'm not a big fan of that amp at all.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
A solid state rectifier vs. tube rectifier doesn't influence the tone that much, since it isn't part of the signal path. The difference is, that with the tube rectifier (you can search for the reason why, can't remember exactly) the tube causes "tube sag" that is sort of a slight volume swell or something along those lines I believe. It's sort of a vintage-ish thing I think. Solid state rectifiers cause a more sharp attack.

But the difference is pretty small I believe.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Consider that even really high end amp manufacturers like Diezel and Soldano use solid state rectifiers.

The So-Cal is actually really good for a certain sound, think Cream era Clapton but a bit more American sounding. It takes pedals quite well and has a pretty good clean channel. The stock reverb is a hunk of garbage though. My room mate has one and it gets quite a bit of use. Do note that if you aren't looking for that particular sound, you'll probably end up disliking the amp.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
seing as its a tube, say i added a distortion pedal could it get rather heavy? could it do the distortion sound from the song "sleepwalker" by megadeth?
Quote by xdeathxcorex
seing as its a tube, say i added a distortion pedal could it get rather heavy? could it do the distortion sound from the song "sleepwalker" by megadeth?

It's possible but doubtful. It can get quite heavy by itself and naturally a lot more so with pedals, but it's not an amp for any type of metal, it's very vintage voiced. It works best at mid gain settings in the 25 watt mode with a Strat trying to play classic rock and the blues.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
oh i see.

thats very disheartening hahaha seing as it was rather cheap and i thought i might finally get a tube....oh well **** happens. lol
Quote by xdeathxcorex
oh i see.

thats very disheartening hahaha seing as it was rather cheap and i thought i might finally get a tube....oh well **** happens. lol

Look into combos.

I'm not sure how much they cost in Australia, but a Peavey Valveking or Randall RG50TC would work well for you.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I dunno. With a good OD you could probably get into metal territory with it. I mean, I can get decent metal tones out of my Epi Valve Standard, and it is a lot more vintage voiced than the So Cal.
Eyes
Quote by woodenbandman
My dear man, I must petition you for photographic evidence, or the described events cannot be verified, and will be written off as fallacy.
My peavey classic has a solid state rectifier.
Some very expensive amps have them too.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
The difference between tube and SS rectifier is minimal, an amp with a SS rectifier is still counted as an all-tube amp. And as other people have said, it wont do metal that well, its more more vintage voiced.
SS Rectification gives you something like 2w more clean headroom on a 30w amp, 3w on 50w, 5w on 100w... It's cleaner and more efficient, although some argue that tubes are smoother. Tube Rectos cut output power a tad, and add the 'sag' effect which basically means it has a spongier attack than the crisp, sharp SS rectifier.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot
SS Rectification gives you something like 2w more clean headroom on a 30w amp, 3w on 50w, 5w on 100w... It's cleaner and more efficient, although some argue that tubes are smoother. Tube Rectos cut output power a tad, and add the 'sag' effect which basically means it has a spongier attack than the crisp, sharp SS rectifier.

It's more than that, even! It's 3w on an 18 watt amp and almost 5 watts on a 30w amp. can vary of course based on tube type and the efficiency of the circuit, but those are pretty standard losses.
There's a definite tone change from tube to SS rectification. I'll post clips someday of the switch.
Ah right, I see, cool. I based that on seeing that an AC30 on average increased by about 3.5w on SS as opposed to tube.

Down to plate voltages, then? I imagine you'd get a browner sound with a Tube/SS switch, especially if it's something like an EZ81 that drops a ton of B+?
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot
Ah right, I see, cool. I based that on seeing that an AC30 on average increased by about 3.5w on SS as opposed to tube.

Down to plate voltages, then? I imagine you'd get a browner sound with a Tube/SS switch, especially if it's something like an EZ81 that drops a ton of B+?

Yeah, the tube setting will give you a little more "rock and roll," the SS setting is better for the extremes -jazz and metal- where you need a more defined, clear-cut bass and polite base for your sound.
Dropping a lot of B+ with something like the 81 or a 5Y3 gives you a really squishy and soft smooth distortion.
Last edited by Roc8995 at Apr 11, 2008,