hey
i have a jcm 900 the 4100 head and a mxr zakk wylde over drive to give it some more power in the distorion dept.i get a nice sound,but was wondering if anyone else had this set-up and what there settings are because im looking for a better sound and i cant get it,so im looking for a start point
thanks
Quote by Tiksi
people who think that the tuning peg things have to be straight. I went to the bathroom once, I come back, and my friend detunified my guitar, and then asked why it sounded weird. ARGG!!!

Honestly, I never liked that pedal. A friend of mine has it and I've messed with it to death, never being able to get a decent sound. I would look into a new pedal, such as the EHX Metal Muff.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
i think that setup would be very noisy?

the hiss from that pedal is beyond gruesome sometimes and the 900 (as much as its a great amp) isnt the quietest

i would personally either not have on OD or if you want some hard metal - get a TS9 (maxon) or a S.D Twin Tube pedal
my zakk wylde doesnt have the typical zakk wylde sound.my friend had the exact same head,pedal,cab and guitar as me and mine sounded better,but i dont really wanna buy a new pedal because im buying a new guitar next week.im pretty much looking for some settings from someone with the same set up thanks mafropetee,but i will look at the EHX metall muff,i did look at one awhile back,but i will look it up again because any advice is worth while researching
Quote by Tiksi
people who think that the tuning peg things have to be straight. I went to the bathroom once, I come back, and my friend detunified my guitar, and then asked why it sounded weird. ARGG!!!

i dont get a hiss sound on low volume,or when on 50 watt mode thingy. on 100 watt and medium low theres no hiss,its not till you get loudist you get a smallish hiss.i get feedback before id get a hiss
Quote by Tiksi

channel b.

gain 15/16

bass 5
mid 8
treble 7
presence 2

I use a bad monkey OD with the level maxed and gain at 0. Try that with the ZW OD and tweak the tone to your taste.

That's what I use. and I get what I feel is a decent hard rock/metal tone with the volume at 3. you could always turn up the pedal or the gain but when the volume's turned up to gig levels it should be meaty.

let me know what you think.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
lemoninfluence thanks,ill try it soon,ill let you know
Quote by Tiksi

so far so good with your settings,its getting there
Quote by Tiksi

its given me a start point, like i already had presence 2,bass full,gain full,treble 6,mids 2 and zw on all 10 o clock and it was good but i knew you could get it better,so no its sounding that bit better its got the amp set to what lemon suggested and the zw on full output,2 o clock tone and 9 o clock gain and its sounding mint.im just gonna play with the mids,might lower them a tad
Quote by Tiksi

I like my mids boosted. They're what makes the sound full but obviously it's not to everyone's taste having them that high. It might not sound completely metal while playing on your own but when you're playing live you'll cut through better.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
hmmm i think ill leave them in that case
Quote by Tiksi

try it for yourself and experiment. some don't like them that high. It's all a matter of opinion.

Quote by element4433
ill trial it when my band jams next,if i dont like it ill lower it
Quote by Tiksi

Quote by red_spider
my zakk wylde doesnt have the typical zakk wylde sound.my friend had the exact same head,pedal,cab and guitar as me and mine sounded better,but i dont really wanna buy a new pedal because im buying a new guitar next week.im pretty much looking for some settings from someone with the same set up thanks mafropetee,but i will look at the EHX metall muff,i did look at one awhile back,but i will look it up again because any advice is worth while researching

So which one of you is the stalker?
ahahaha mixture of both really. he doesnt have his 900,zakk od and i dunno if he still has the guitar.he has a dual rec and a dsl now
Quote by Tiksi

i dont own a JCM but i do have the MXR and i use it with the gain and volume maxed and the tone all the way down, i move it to the middle when i switch to some of my all mahogany guitars
Quote by lp_dude_2
i dont own a JCM but i do have the MXR and i use it with the gain and volume maxed and the tone all the way down, i move it to the middle when i switch to some of my all mahogany guitars

what amp you running through?
Quote by Tiksi

Try turning the gain to about 2 and the level up full and running it through your disto channel, leave the tone on about 4 depending on how bright it is
yeah its about that at the moment
Quote by Tiksi

i had the Zakk Wyld O/D once and all it did was MASSIVE feed back, but i was probly doing it wrong, since my guitar has a gain booster built right into it.

but i heard that Zakk himself maxes everything right out on that pedal.
Quote by Slayerdeath
i had the Zakk Wyld O/D once and all it did was MASSIVE feed back, but i was probly doing it wrong, since my guitar has a gain booster built right into it.

but i heard that Zakk himself maxes everything right out on that pedal.

are those gain boosters any good?
Quote by Tiksi