hey!

I got my Peavey Valveking 212 yesterday. I got a decent clean tone withouth much effort. But when I go to lead chanell I just can't get a decent tone for Punk rock or any other style....
Is it maby cuz I only got a strat (cuz the Invader did not arrive yet) or I just don't have the right settings?
Please tell me some cool settings for my VK.
Thanks!
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Invader = crap. But I guess it would be fine for punk rock. Maybe try adding a distortion pedal. The VK isn't known to put out a lot of gain.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
I don't need an OD cuz it has enough gain.
I was just asking cuz when a friend of mine tried it in a shop b4 I went to pick this thing up he said it's great!
and when I see movies on you tube and one that a friend sent me...It just gives such a great sound...but they all got humbuckers in their guitars...
3. You're reading now.
6. You just checked it.

Quote by hawk_kst
yea...it is EQing problems...but I can get the right EQ settings with this amp...cuz people do... xD
3. You're reading now.
6. You just checked it.

Quote by hawk_kst
Maybe it's just a good thing to let a local guitar player who knows alot about amps do the settings for you.
What about a guitar with an P100 or P90 at the bridge??? Does it have much gain?
Quote by mafropetee
Invader = crap. But I guess it would be fine for punk rock. Maybe try adding a distortion pedal. The VK isn't known to put out a lot of gain.

VK has plenty gain...

Don't forget the texture knob (can't recall if it's in the back, I know on my VK head it's on the back), the gain boost, and volume boost. Working with those as well as with the EQ controls should be able to get you a good variety of tone.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Unless it's a Japanese Squier, it's no wonder it's sounding bad. If you amplify crap well, it still sounds like crap >.<'
^Hardly, its the otherway around.

If you amplify something good with crap itll sound crap, if you amplify something crap with something good itll sound good or at least okay in this case.

Squiers are okay guitars.
Quote by beckyjc
^Hardly, its the otherway around.

If you amplify something good with crap itll sound crap, if you amplify something crap with something good itll sound good or at least okay in this case.

Squiers are okay guitars.

They are not okay, mate. I've amplified my strat which is equal to a squier with a good amp, it still sounds crap.
Erm yerr they are, Squier make some fantastic guitars for the money, i hate this up your ass stuff about squier. Check out the 51, the jagmaster, the affinity tele, the deluxes etc. etc. theyre all great for the money.

I played a squier tele through a rocker 30, it still sounded absa****ingloutely superb.

Amp makes up more of your tone.
Quote by JilaX^
They are not okay, mate. I've amplified my strat which is equal to a squier with a good amp, it still sounds crap.

Japanese Squier = really good. Not like the modern day cheaper ones.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
It's not so much the total guitar itself as it is the electronics and the sharp fret ends that hang off the neck on a lot of squiers these days. I had a Japanese squier and it was better than a mexican strat. That being said, there are some decent squiers out there. Most just need to be set up properly in my opinion.
My Gear:

Fender Strat w/Duncans
Hand Built(by me) guitar w/Duncans
Ibanez RG321MH
Bugera V22
Peavey Vyper 30 Watt
Xotic BB Preamp
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Digitech Hardwire Chromatic Tuner
Fender T-Bucket Acoustic
Digitech Bad Monkey
Exactly whee the try before you buy thing comes in.

Sure the factory has some dodgey quality control, but trying stuff out, you can always find one thatll amaze you.
Quote by Lynchworm
It's not so much the total guitar itself as it is the electronics and the sharp fret ends that hang off the neck on a lot of squiers these days. I had a Japanese squier and it was better than a mexican strat. That being said, there are some decent squiers out there. Most just need to be set up properly in my opinion.

my squier is actually not a squier. xD
Only the neck and body and the pups were stock.
Other was everything replaced if needed and fixed.
Cuz my friend who owns a guitar shop sold it to me.
Hes a real pro.
I love his guitars more than Fenders and Gibsons.
3. You're reading now.
6. You just checked it.

Quote by hawk_kst
get a OD pedal
My Gear:

Fender 62 RI Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul Standard+
Fender Supersonic
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss OS-2 OD/DS
Martin 000-28
Washburn D10s
Quote by Kozlic
hey!

I got my Peavey Valveking 212 yesterday. I got a decent clean tone withouth much effort. But when I go to lead chanell I just can't get a decent tone for Punk rock or any other style....
Is it maby cuz I only got a strat (cuz the Invader did not arrive yet) or I just don't have the right settings?
Please tell me some cool settings for my VK.
Thanks!

Turn the presence up to 6, resonance up to 6, gain up to 7, mids up to.... 8, treble to 5, bass to 5, and volume to about 7.

Also, use both the middle and bridge pickups in your Strat. Add the gain boost also.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
I have to say... plop a bad monkey in front of a valveking and they will be married for life... it's really amazing.
Quote by HxCori<3
you sir, are the ultimate UG stereotype, praise a not so good metal player, zakk, put down other peoples playing, seriously say I WAS GONAA PLAYZ SOME UBER LEEDS LOZLOERLS~1!!!11!, and then critique epiphones as if there worth a second glance
hey kozlic, im just about sold on the VK 212 but still not sure...how you likin yours so far?
and whats a 'bad monkey' gonna do for it? never heard/tried that one before...
VK gets a lot of hate on here, but I'd say listen to the youtube clips and try one out yourself, most people don't like the idea of a cheap tube amp.

The trick to using the bad monkey with the VK is gain at 0 and level dimed out. The best way to describe it would be as a pushup bra for your tone.
Quote by HxCori<3
you sir, are the ultimate UG stereotype, praise a not so good metal player, zakk, put down other peoples playing, seriously say I WAS GONAA PLAYZ SOME UBER LEEDS LOZLOERLS~1!!!11!, and then critique epiphones as if there worth a second glance
Quote by primeguy31
hey kozlic, im just about sold on the VK 212 but still not sure...how you likin yours so far?
and whats a 'bad monkey' gonna do for it? never heard/tried that one before...

It's a very affordable, and excellent OD pedal that can make VK sing a horse being castrated, costs about $50, and is worth every dollar especially if your looking to push your VK into vicious territory.
Quote by natel0083
It's a very affordable, and excellent OD pedal that can make VK sing a horse being castrated, costs about $50, and is worth every dollar especially if your looking to push your VK into vicious territory.

ok, call me crazy, but i just bought a bad monkey on ebay about 10 mins ago, for $44. been hearing nothin but good stuff about them, so i went and did it w/o even tryin one....happy b-day to me! (this fri., anyway)
if nothin else, maybe itll help my MG out a bit till i pony up the scratch for the VK...
waitin on that bonus check from Uncle Sam!!

thanks, guys!
btw, the ValveKing is a tube amp, and ive heard lotsa guys say not to put a OD/ dist pedal in front of a tube...why? some of you guys say it helps, some say it hurts....
whats the deal?
Quote by beckyjc
The VKs lead channel IMO has alot to be desired.

Maybe a valve change.

Or invest in a standalone distortion pedal to get your gain from.

agreed. i dislike the gain on the amp. An od would be good, eqing, perhaps switching to A/B and a new speaker/