It's like where you can hear the strumming of the acoustic guitar, but not really the chords being played, though I don't think it's muting, as the strings do kinda ring, they just basically have almost no tone, all you can hear is the hitting of the strings, it's a very percussive sound, but I think it rings too much to be muting.

The most well known song I can think of which uses it is Where is my Mind, by the Pixies, during the verse and chorus they use that technique.

Another song is Piano Lessons, by Porcupine Tree. Pretty much through the entire song they use this technique (it's most noticeable during the verse as there's no other guitar with it).

Here is the video of Piano Lessons
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CvxoeasJ2E

There probably is a thread on this somewhere on this site, I just have no idea what I'd search for to find it...

Thanks.
Gear:
-A Guitar
-A Bass Guitar
AND...
-amps for BOTH of them!!

(who cares?)
Last edited by urf_ at Apr 11, 2008,
Left hand muting? If you put your hands very lightly on the strings and strum, you get that percussive sound, sounds like what you're asking about.
It is a common recording technique. Usually the guitar player strums with a thin-ish pick. he or she strums the chords as they normally would. after that gets recorded, all of the bass and mid EQ's get turned all the way down, leaving the percussive ch-ch-ch-ch thing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHU-AJTn0I8

watch the 33 second mark he hits the guitar then 50-to a minute

Edit: if im correct that this is the technique u ask of, just watch his hand
Last edited by Martindecorum at Apr 11, 2008,
I don't think it's as simple as just hitting the strings, there is slight tone in it, and I've seen the Pixies perform live, they still do play the chords when they're playing the verse and chorus in Where is my Mind (I was too far back to tell if they were palm muting or whatever though).

I'm pretty sure its sublime07 is correct.
Gear:
-A Guitar
-A Bass Guitar
AND...
-amps for BOTH of them!!

(who cares?)
yes sublime07 is right, its all eq and compression they add after something is recorded.

btw you can also add it in a live setting so if you hear it live thats basically it.

The compressor limits the volume of the guitar and makes every tone even so none are louder than others.. thats why it does not sound loud even when they are hitting it quite hard (thats why the strumming is very very noticeable)

Also the eq keeps the bass frequencies out as sublime07 said and you get a very thin sounding guitar because you are hearing very little of the sonic spectrum (low-mid-highs)
Oh sweet, it actually works really well, thanks heaps guys for this, I don't think I ever would have worked this out!
Gear:
-A Guitar
-A Bass Guitar
AND...
-amps for BOTH of them!!

(who cares?)