I need a kick in the right direction

If I were to improvise with the A Major Pentatonic scale, what chords should I be playing over? Can anyone also give me an article/lesson on how this is known also.

Sorry to be a nooby pain in the
any chords in the key of A major..... A major, B minor, C# minor, d major, e major, f# minor, G# diminished.
"Play one wrong note and its wrong, play two and its jazz" - Miles Davis
If you are looking to play over standard major or minor chords then just anything in the key of A. But there are lots of other options coming from more of a jazz idiom.

This is a chart from a book called THE Jazz Language. It gives ten different types of chords and what yoou can play over each.

These are all MAJOR PENTATONIC and I will say they are all A chords
Amaj AMajor Pent
AMaj9 EMajor Pent
Amaj13 BMajor Pent
Amin7 CMajor Pent
Amin9 GMajor Pent
Amin13 DMajor Pent
A7 A Major Pent
Adom7sus4 D or G Major Pent
A7+9 C Major Pent
A7+5+9 Eb Major Pent

All of these work very nicely over those types of chords. I figured those out by starting generally on the extensions and seeing what kinds of tasty tones I can get but there are a lot more options.

You figure out what chords to play under it by knowing the chords in the key. In your case it was A Major so in any major key the types of chords are I ii iii IV V vi viidim I so the chords in A are Amaj Bmin C#min DMaj EMaj F#min G#dim. You can do that in any key. If you just solo in A Pent over those chords it will sound very inside if you want to make sound a little tastier than experiment with the chart above. Good Luck.
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
Quote by Led man32
If you are looking to play over standard major or minor chords then just anything in the key of A. But there are lots of other options coming from more of a jazz idiom.

This is a chart from a book called THE Jazz Language. It gives ten different types of chords and what yoou can play over each.

These are all MAJOR PENTATONIC and I will say they are all A chords
Amaj AMajor Pent
AMaj9 EMajor Pent
Amaj13 BMajor Pent
Amin7 CMajor Pent
Amin9 GMajor Pent
Amin13 DMajor Pent
A7 A Major Pent
Adom7sus4 D or G Major Pent
A7+9 C Major Pent
A7+5+9 Eb Major Pent

All of these work very nicely over those types of chords. I figured those out by starting generally on the extensions and seeing what kinds of tasty tones I can get but there are a lot more options.

You figure out what chords to play under it by knowing the chords in the key. In your case it was A Major so in any major key the types of chords are I ii iii IV V vi viidim I so the chords in A are Amaj Bmin C#min DMaj EMaj F#min G#dim. You can do that in any key. If you just solo in A Pent over those chords it will sound very inside if you want to make sound a little tastier than experiment with the chart above. Good Luck.

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks greatly.