Pit, I need to make a mix CD for a school project. What are some songs with lyrics about embracing reason and science over faith and religion? No Satanic shit, Satanism is a religion too.
Quote by CLVPX
Wow, SkyValley = Epic win.
Quote by SkyValley
Pit, I need to make a mix CD for a school project. What are some songs with lyrics about embracing reason and science over faith and religion? No Satanic shit, Satanism is a religion too.

Leper Messiah by Metallica, Disciple by Slayer.
Quote by SkyValley

You say reason over religion as if the two can't coexist.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Holy Wars... The Punishment Due by Megadeth

And, oh yeah, the best one there could possibly be (check the lyrics if you're skeptical):

Faithless by Rush

/thread
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
God Was Never On Your Side - Motorhead.
But the smile you send in my direction makes me feel like I'm alive
Not about embracing science, per se, but anti-religion, Megalomania by Muse
Paradise comes at a price
That I am not prepared to pay
What were we built for?
Could someone tell me please?

The good news is, she can't have babies
And wont accept gifts from me
What are they for?
They'll just grow up, and break the laws you've loved

Take off your disguise
I know that underneath
It's me

Useless device, it won't suffice
I want a new game to play
When I am gone
It won't be long, before I disturb you in the dark

And paradise comes at a price
That I am not prepared to pay
What were we built for?
Will someone tell me please?

Take off your disguise
I know that underneath
It's me
Many Muse songs are great at blasphemy. Futurism, Thoughts of a Dying Atheist...heck, plenty of the tracks on Absolution are great.

There's also an atheist rapper Greydon Square who's quite educated...his breakdown of Pascal's Wager is awesome.
Last edited by Fast_Fingers at Apr 11, 2008,
The God That Failed by Metallica.

Perfectly fits the song you wanted.
Quote by imdeth
This man deserves my +1

+1

Quote by denizenz
Go in peace my son, and teach to the pit dwellers what I have shown unto you.

ಠ_ಠ

XBL: huffy409
The Voice of God Is Government by Bad Religion
Rise Up Rise Up by Cursive
Thoughts of a Dying Athiest by Muse

We're all in the gutter, but I'm looking at the rats.
**** your God - Dei Cide

That's kind of anti-faith but I don't know if they sing about science (You can't hear a thing that guy is singing, it's just AGAGARVARTAVRAVGARCDVBARVAARTA etc.)
I just need about $3.50
(<X.X)O=('.'Q)

I'm the motherflippin'
Satanism is a philosophy, not a religion, Anton LaVey was all about embracing reason over faith. Although the two really aren't mutually exclusive.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Judith- A Perfect Circl

Quote by Kid_Thorazine
Satanism is a philosophy, not a religion, Anton LaVey was all about embracing reason over faith. Although the two really aren't mutually exclusive.

There's theistic satanism, which is the literal worship of satan (I believe).
Quote by Kid_Thorazine

Reason and FAITH are mutually exclusive. Reason and Religion are not.

Check out the song Haillie Sellasse, Up Your Ass by Propaghandi. It's the first one that popped into my head because I was listening to that album last night.

Galactic Pioneers by the Phenomenauts fits the theme pretty well, but it's supposed to be funny so it might not be great for your project.

Edit: Supertheory of Supereverything by Gogol Bordello. It's perfect. I should have thought of it right away.
Last edited by sargasm at Apr 11, 2008,
**** The Pope - Anti-flag
Such Tragedy - The Unseen
Religious Scam - A Global Threat
You Will Lose Faith - NoFX
Faith In God - Bad Religion
Religious Vomit - Dead Kennedys
The Blonde Lead The Blind - Streetlight Manifesto
Forty Days - Streetlight Manifesto
Down Down Down To Mephistos Cafe - Streetlight Manifesto
Would You Be Impressed - Streetlight Manifesto
(all of streetlight manifestos latest release)
Haillie Sellasse, Up Your Ass - Propagandhi
Natural Disasters - Propagandhi
Last edited by Adam_Harrison9 at Apr 11, 2008,
Quote by sargasm
Reason and FAITH are mutually exclusive. Reason and Religion are not.

I disagree, unless one has faith in things that are completely unreasonable.

Quote by Deliriumbassist

There's theistic satanism, which is the literal worship of satan (I believe).

yeah but that's a very minor fringe religion compared to LaVeyan Satanism, which is what most educated people mean when they are talking about Satanism, unless otherwise specified.

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Apr 11, 2008,
Quote by Rocking-Rob
yes because science and religion fight to destroy each other

Inadvertently, as they contradict.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine

yeah but that's a very minor fringe religion compared to LaVeyan Satanism, which is what most educated people mean when they are talking about Satanism, unless otherwise specified.

I know. But an educated person would realise that a hell of a lot of people (excuse the pun) aren't knowledgable about LaVayan Satanism, and that they mean the literal worship of Satan when they say Satanism. Like the threadstarter.
Touche, but anyone who makes a statement on that should really try to know what they are talking about.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
Touche, but anyone who makes a statement on that should really try to know what they are talking about.

Not really. The TS is technically correct. He just failed to specify between theistic Satanism and LaVeyism, however theistic is implied.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Not really. The TS is technically correct. He just failed to specify between theistic Satanism and LaVeyism, however theistic is implied.

True, but most people who actually have a knowledge of Satanism aren't even aware that theistic Satanism exists, and since he was talking about music, most bands that sing about satanism are LaVeyan Satanists or are doing so metaphorically.

Last.fm
Quote by sargasm
Inadvertently, as they contradict.

do you know that for sure? In saying that religion and reason can't coexist, you are saying that religion isn't reasonable (it certainly can be), and that in order to be perfectly reasonable, you have to be an atheist.

Obviously not true.

Also, who's to say that religion is illogical? I know, there are a few obvious contradictions between reason and religion, most famously, creationism vs. evolution. However, we don't know everything about religion or reason. For all we know, God could have created the world through evolution and other scientific processes. Also, when people think religion, they are often thinking of the impure, corrupted political side of it. That is not the big picture. When it comes to reason, people think that means you can only believe in the tangible. That isn't reasonable either.

In short, pure religion (belief in a higher power) and pure reason can coexist, but impure religion and narrow reasoning definitely destroy each other.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
True, but most people who actually have a knowledge of Satanism aren't even aware that theistic Satanism exists, and since he was talking about music, most bands that sing about satanism are LaVeyan Satanists or are doing so metaphorically.

Most bands that write about Satanism are LaVeyans, yes. However, it's pretty obvious the TS was referring to actual devil worshipping within music. Stop being pedantic about Satanism. How can the TS ask for no music with LaVeyan vibes if he doesn't bloody know about it?
Quote by rockergurl09
do you know that for sure? In saying that religion and reason can't coexist, you are saying that religion isn't reasonable (it certainly can be), and that in order to be perfectly reasonable, you have to be an atheist.

Obviously not true.

Also, who's to say that religion is illogical? I know, there are a few obvious contradictions between reason and religion, most famously, creationism vs. evolution. However, we don't know everything about religion or reason. For all we know, God could have created the world through evolution and other scientific processes. Also, when people think religion, they are often thinking of the impure, corrupted political side of it. That is not the big picture. When it comes to reason, people think that means you can only believe in the tangible. That isn't reasonable either.

In short, pure religion (belief in a higher power) and pure reason can coexist, but impure religion and narrow reasoning definitely destroy each other.

+1

i think. if you're saying that religion and reason don't contradict each other then yes +1

but to ts. a lot of slayer like jesus saves and disciple are ant-faith.

Must Not Sleep.

Must Warn Others.

Gear:
Gibson Special Faded SG
Orange Tiny Terror (Combo)
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah

3DS friend code: 3995-7035-3562