so in like 2 weeks I will be performing at my scool. I have been taking classes and one thing that we have learned is improving solos. the thing is, though, the teacher tells us to stay wuth the pentatonic/minor pentatonic/blues, depending on the song. but for me that is getting quite boring, and many times it sounds the same...so I need help so I dont sound stupid in 2 weeks when we perform...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
The pentatonic can be used for a hell of a lot, you just have to look outside the box sometimes. But in my research a phrygian scale can be substituted for it in certain cases, take a look into that
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
we'll probably do black mountain rag, sweet home chicago, and walk dont run; those are the songs that we will improvise on...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
There's nothing wrong with the pentatonics. You can do quite nice soloing with
just them. Why would you think it would sound stupid?

One thing you can do to help prepare you, is find where the chord tones are of
whatever it is you're going to play over. Use the pentatonics as your teacher
suggested and add some of the chord tones in at the right spots. It'll tend to
sound more like you know what you're doing.

In 2 weeks there's not a lot you can do to improve your overall improvising, but
that's some practical advice that might help in that time frame.
If you are gonna perform one or two songs you might just learn the key of each and then practice that key like mad and then improvise a decent solo. (Aminor, major, whatever..) And you don't have to stay in the same scale, switch between the penta and the minor for example.
learn the arpeggio of each of the chords and target one of the notes of the arpeggio of the c hrod each time it chcanges and mix it up with the scale
ok, thanks. I guess I can just stick to pentatonic; what I meant about sounding stupid is repetative, since we are doing 3 songs, if I use the pentatonic on each, it will probably sound too much like eachother...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
Quote by fifer
ok, thanks. I guess I can just stick to pentatonic; what I meant about sounding stupid is repetative, since we are doing 3 songs, if I use the pentatonic on each, it will probably sound too much like eachother...

Pentatonic is a good starting point. It all just depends on what you're playing to be honest. Sweet Home Chicago (if it's the one I'm thinking of, if not please correct me) is a blues. You would alienate blues fans if you got super technical over a traditional blues, which is NOT what you want to do while improvising. Basically, there's a time and a place for everything.

However, If you absolutely must, try mixing the major and the minor pentatonic scales together, you can come up with some very cool sounding stuff that way.
Quote by fifer

Not necessarily. Some people make a pretty good living off of nearly nothing but
pentatonic/blues. Note I said "nearly" because you really do have to incorporate
some other stuff to keep it interesting and appropriate to each song.

I think if you stick with what you know about pentatonics and try adding in some
chord tones in the right spots, you can get something together in a couple weeks.
Try working out a few lines ahead of time that you can fall back on since you know
the set songs you'll be doing.