Can anyone tell me the difference between the Les Paul Studio and Standard? I played the Studio alot and love the sound and feel of it but I hear folks saying that it can't even compare to the Standard. Is there really that big a difference between the two to warrent spending so much more money on a Standard? I haven't played a Standard so can anyone enlighten me on this?
Last edited by junglej25 at Apr 11, 2008,
Well, there isn't a huge difference, the main ones are the pickups are better on a standard, the standard has a flame top and also binding around the edge. I also hear the studio doesn't quite have as much sustain but this may be due to the pickups.
After a certain year the Studios came with a chambered body as opposed to a full solid body. Pickups will be slightly better on the standard and you get the maple tone wood top and the binding.
YA GOTTA HIT IT ON THE ONE
pics of gear updated on profile 11/16/09
the pickups are different,the wood is bit better quality and it has a binding around the edge....other than that it's basically the same guitar and the studio's sound imo isn't that far off from a standard....if u don't like the studio's tone u can always replace the pickups and save a good 1000$
Besides what has already been stated, the Studios are more of a hit-and-miss. The quality control isn't as good, so one Studio could be amazing and the next could be crap. Standards are much less of a gamble, and their quality is generally better in the first place. And they hold their value much better.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Quote by GOLDIE93
After a certain year the Studios came with a chambered body as opposed to a full solid body. Pickups will be slightly better on the standard and you get the maple tone wood top and the binding.

Standards are chambered too.
imo, don't get a gibson. they are a "top quality brand" for sure, but they're work is slipping. there is nothing like a vintage gibson. now, their guitars have lots of problems. high frets, untighty glue showing, the hardware making everything go out of tune. if you want a les paul, just go for the epiphone. you'll save money, and they are very well built. my 2 cents
try a gibson les paul classic.
Trendiness!
ESP Eclipse II
Gibson Explorer
Ibanez RG2610e
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
Quote by GOLDIE93

The Standards are chambered, as well.

The pickups aren't necessarily better, the Burstbuckers are more vintage- voiced while the 490R and 498T are more modern- sounding.

As for the maple top, I wouldn't exactly call it tonewood . Yes, it makes the tone a bit brighter, but the difference is mostly cosmetic.

Quote by mafropetee
Besides what has already been stated, the Studios are more of a hit-and-miss. The quality control isn't as good, so one Studio could be amazing and the next could be crap. Standards are much less of a gamble, and their quality is generally better in the first place. And they hold their value much better.

This.
See if you can get a used 90's Studio; they were built better back then and also had ebony fretboards. The best Gibson LP I've ever played was a '94 Studio.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Well, nowadays LP Studios are really really weak, to the point that most new Epi LP Customs are as good as them. So yes, there is a HUGE difference between the Studio and the Standard (but being both a lot worse nowadays than some years ago).
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
Quote by GOLDIE93

The Standards have a chambered body too....
Also, the standard has a maple top, its just not figured.
The biggest difference is pretty much the lack of a binding on the Studio.
Guitar
Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette Special
Washburn WI64
Martin D-15
Amps
1960s Harmony
Rocktron/Egnater TOL 50 2x12
Rivera Chubster 55
FX
Fulltone OCD v.1
Keeley TS808
Voodoo Labs Superfuzz