When I'm alternate picking, I should pick a string with a , down - up - down / up - down - up strokes right? But, What if I finish picking a string with a down stroke, should I start all over with a down stroke when picking the next string or should I pick it with an up stroke

Sorry about the noob question on Alternate Picking..
"... I don't want you to play me a riff that's going to impress Joe Satriani; give me a riff that makes a kid want to go out and buy a guitar and learn to play ..." - Ozzy Osbourne

"Play the music, not the instrument."
Quote by kalyo27
When I'm alternate picking, I should pick a string with a , down - up - down / up - down - up strokes right? But, What if I finish picking a string with a down stroke, should I start all over with a down stroke when picking the next string or should I pick it with an up stroke

Sorry about the noob question on Alternate Picking..

alternate picking is strictly alternating between down and up strokes.
however there are times when you may need to break the pattern. it just depends on the situation.
shred is gaudy music
yeah alternate picking is strictly going back and forth but....

ur probably wondering more about picking style in general, so just do whatever works for u. like, if ur playing quarter notes in 5/4 time, then of course itll be easier to just keep going down/up/down/up/down and then start the next one on up, but if ur playing a more complicated rhythm u should really just do whatever works as long as u stay in time. in the grand scheme of things it doesnt really matter.

hope that helps more than i think it does
yeah whatever suits you is the best. i hold the pick really weirdly and people say i'm doing it wrong but i hit all the right notes and it sounds great, plus pinch harmonics are extremely easy.

there's no right/wrong with picking it's just whatever works for you. obviously there's going to be a more common way which everyone should at least try. but yeah go with what you're doing.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
Umm, I was wondering if I should alternate pick all the time..

So I surfed the net and try to find some answers, and I got this one, so far this is the only good that I got...

-->

"Yes I use alternate picking,whenever it is necessary to continue the piece I'm playing.thats 2 answers in one.
The point of alternate picking is to basically save time and hand movement so that you can play some sections of a solo,or even some rhythm sections fluidly and consistiently.
That being said,alternate picking is a great tool to add to your arsenal,but you should also practice your downstroke single picking.because you will notice that by playing sections with all downstrokes,many times the sound you get cannot by reproduced with alternate picking.
This is why bands such as Metallica,practice rapid downstroke picking,the palm muted lines to their music would,and don't sound as heavy and authoritive with alternate picking,however they do still use alternate picking in other sections of the same song,I hope I have helped you with this,keep jamming,never give up,and learn every guitar technique you can,even if its something you don't think you'll ever use,because it will only make you a better guitar player in the future.Peace"

Is this right?
"... I don't want you to play me a riff that's going to impress Joe Satriani; give me a riff that makes a kid want to go out and buy a guitar and learn to play ..." - Ozzy Osbourne

Quote by kalyo27
Umm, I was wondering if I should alternate pick all the time..

So I surfed the net and try to find some answers, and I got this one, so far this is the only good that I got...

-->

"Yes I use alternate picking,whenever it is necessary to continue the piece I'm playing.thats 2 answers in one.
The point of alternate picking is to basically save time and hand movement so that you can play some sections of a solo,or even some rhythm sections fluidly and consistiently.
That being said,alternate picking is a great tool to add to your arsenal,but you should also practice your downstroke single picking.because you will notice that by playing sections with all downstrokes,many times the sound you get cannot by reproduced with alternate picking.
This is why bands such as Metallica,practice rapid downstroke picking,the palm muted lines to their music would,and don't sound as heavy and authoritive with alternate picking,however they do still use alternate picking in other sections of the same song,I hope I have helped you with this,keep jamming,never give up,and learn every guitar technique you can,even if its something you don't think you'll ever use,because it will only make you a better guitar player in the future.Peace"

Is this right?

dont alternate pick everything. why? because there are times when its not appropriate. simple as that.

that being said.... work on your alternate picking, and use it in the appropriate places.

dont worry about learning every single possible technique as suggested in your quote. Thats idealistic nonsense. Sure its nice to learn alot of techniques.... but focus on the music, and learn the techniques that are necessary to play that music.

now if your interested in a technique and you want to explore it..... thats cool, just dont feel like you have to be good at every existing technique..... thats just not realistic.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Apr 12, 2008,
Okay, thanks a lot dude, you really helped me