ok, so ive been playing guitar for a while now, i like to play lead, i like to solo alot, i use lots of distortion, all that jazz. now a few days ago i was inroduced to a wonderful thing called music theory. ive come to an understanding that it helps alot, and it does, it makes everything more fluid and easier to write. but thats only if you understand it all. could someone please help me understand the C05? your help is greatly appreciated.
right...
starting with C maj (no sharps/no flats - so the scale looks like this: CDEFGABC) at the bottom of the circle, we will go clockwise (which is the sharp side)
the next key signature is the dominant 5th of C - meaning you count 5 letters from C (including C) - which is G. But when you progress to another key, you need to add a sharp.
The sharp is the 7th note of the scale.. so G maj will look like GABCDEF#G.
You can keep going on like this until you get to C# maj (C#D#E#F#G#A#B#C#). It is technically possible to go further, using sharps, but no one does it like that, due to the next key having a G natural and a G #.
This is where we go back to C maj at the bottom, but now we go anti-clockwise - this is the flat side. To work out the next key sig on the flat side, just count to the 4th letter. So, from C maj, the 4th letter is F. To work out which note is made into a flat, is the 4th note in that scale (which will be the root note of the next key sig)... in this case, it will be B flat.

Thats the major bit...

The minor bit is pretty much the same... but to work out the relative minor of the key, just count 6 letters from the root note of the major... (if were on C maj.. the relative minor is A)
The notes in the minor scale are the same as the major, just starting from a different note.

What ive wrote probably isnt very easy to follow and understand, as im not perfect with the CO5s either... but hey...

hope this has helped
oh... one more thing... heres an easy way to learn the sharps/flats in the keys...

for the sharp side its..
father charles goes down and ends battle (the first letter of each word is the added sharp)

for the flats its...
battle ends and down goes charles' father...

youll notice the sentence is the same... just backwards...
i always just remember it as the sharp side moves in 5ths n the flat side in 4ths, and for sharps the next sharp is always the leading note , if that makes any sense lol
"Play one wrong note and its wrong, play two and its jazz" - Miles Davis
Flats Flatten Fourths
Sharps Sharpen Sevenths
All things are difficult before they are easy.
- Dr. Thomas Fuller (British physician, 1654-1734)
Quote by Freepower
For everything you need to know - gpb0216.
thank you everyone, it helped me alot, music theory is realy difficult. a big thanks to Winsbury. it looks like you took a while with your responce, thanks
Quote by gpb0216
Flats Flatten Fourths
Sharps Sharpen Sevenths

Ah hah hah!!!!

That will help me out with the flat keys for sure.
Strat / SH-201 -> DOD Mixer -> ZVex Mastotron -> Fulltone Clyde -> BYOC OD II -> Ibanez FLL -> VS Chorus -> DOD FX 96 -> Boss DD-6 -> MXR 10-Band EQ -> Boss RC-2 -> Stereo Mixer -> Alesis PicoVerb -> Peavey Delta Blues 210/Yamaha Fifty112