So some of you probably know that Warrel Dane is has a solo album coming out, and you can listen to the whole thing on his myspace http://www.myspace.com/warreldane. I don't know about the rest of you, I was a bit dissapointed. Most of it just seemed pretty mediocre. He tended to sound like he didn't know how to sing slow stuff (even though he does a good job on Nevermore's slower songs), and I thought the general songwriting could have been better. I also thought the instruments could have been a lot better. They don't need to be heavier or faster, just better, you know? I like the whole idea of of Dane wanting to do an album that's slower and less "in your face" than Nevermore, and it's not terrible or anything, I just thought it could have been better. But that's just my opinion. What do the rest of you think?
Last edited by everythingdies at Apr 11, 2008,
Sounds way too similar to Nevermore to me. Down to the guitar tone.

And with dodgy riffs.
It's alright. Nothing compared to Nevermore though.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
Lulz paedo, hes gotz nakd childrn on da coveralbumart!!1one!!1 But awesome coverart.

I liked it (only heard a few songs), sure it's not Nevermore, but still good.

And he has brown hair now?!!!
"A war is coming, I've seen it in my dreams. Fires sweeping through the earth, bodies in the streets, cities turned to dust. Retaliation..."

Check out my amazing band!
An Abstract Illusion
I like it. Warrel is an awesome vocalist.
Quote by Mike Birbiglia
I went to the doctor, and they found something in my bladder. And whenever they find something, it's never anything good like, "We found something in your bladder AND IT'S SEASON TICKETS TO THE YANKEES!!

Do you folks like folk?
Just finished the first time through and I'll give it a "meh" at best. He doesn't seem to have that conviction in his voice like he does with Nevermore, and the songwriting is horribly bland and generic. I'll have to read the lyrics though, as he is one of my favorite writers.
sounds like inferior Nevermore. Dosen't have that Loomis touch.
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
I think the problem with any solo artist who's in a band is that it will always be compared to the artist's band
John Petrucci always gets compared to Dream Theater
Warrel gets compared to Nevermore
etc
I tried to step back and look at it as something new, and I found I enjoyed it much more really.
Seems pretty good to me. I'm listening to "Let you down" at the mo.
Talk to Erowid

Quote by dead-fish

Tell me when thy band shall return to mark a schedueled performance on my nearest venue's door!
Quoth teh Loomis, "Nevermore".

Member #9 of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join.
only heard one song, but it seems to confirm most of the opinions within this thread. Wasn't too bad though

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Quote by Magero
I think the problem with any solo artist who's in a band is that it will always be compared to the artist's band
John Petrucci always gets compared to Dream Theater
Warrel gets compared to Nevermore
etc
I tried to step back and look at it as something new, and I found I enjoyed it much more really.

Except when I compare Petrucci to Dream Theater, Petrucci comes out on top.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
I agree with the person above who said that he didn't seem to have that conviction in his voice. I was hoping he would use more of his unorthodox way of singing. But it was still a pretty good album. Messenger was quite catchy and had a great solo (can't wait for Loomis' solo album and more Nevermore material). The cover for "Lucretia My Reflection" was also really good. Both these songs grew on me and I'm hoping the others will too.
please excuse any typos or grammatical errors in the above post.

My Last.fm