On every guitar I've played, there seems to be that little buzz that you here when it's not being amplified. Are electric guitars supposed to do that? To fix it, I always have to move my finger a little bit further up the fret. Are you supposed to have your fingers that close to the frets?
Last edited by orcs4life at Apr 11, 2008,
Well if you can't hear it though the amplifier, then it isn't a problem is it? And it happens to me too
Gear as 2015:
Ibanez PGM401
Music Man JP6 (for sale)
Music Man Axis (for sale)
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Ibanez EW Acoustic Steel string
Crappy Cort Acoustic 12-string
NI Rig Kontrol 3 & Guitar Rig 5
i have noticed this an a few guitars as well... but i never really thought much about it cause it seems to go away when amp'd.

i tend to put my fingers as close to the those "metal things" as possible... thats how i taught myself to play
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
I know when I play around some electric/lighting sources, the amp has a tendency to pick up some high frequency noises. That might be the buzzing you mean, but it could be other things as well. If you usually play/practice in a constant place, take a look around and see if there are any electronics that might be messing you up.
Quote by orcs4life
Are you supposed to have your fingers that close to the separators (those metal things)?

i'm wayyyy too tempted to sig that.
My name is Charlie.

Gear
Gretsch Electromatic Pro Jet
Fender Deville 410
Electro-Harmonix USA Big Muff
Digitech Whammy IV
MXR Micro Amp
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
You should have your fingers right up and behind the frets (said metal things). There are a few things you can possibly do to get rid of the buzz, but if it's not being heard through the amp, and it doesn't affect your playing in anyway, I wouldn't worry to much about it.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
wow all this time I thought the space in between were called the frets. Damnit my noobishness is showing off again. I'm retarded
Quote by lazlow325i

For my well being and self esteem please don't sig it
Quote by orcs4life
For my well being and self esteem please don't sig it

okay.

but only because you said please.
My name is Charlie.

Gear
Gretsch Electromatic Pro Jet
Fender Deville 410
Electro-Harmonix USA Big Muff
Digitech Whammy IV
MXR Micro Amp
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Quote by lazlow325i

I'm sure you didn't know what they were called when you first started playing so stop trying to polish your ego off someone who it seems is just starting out. We've all been there.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
To answer your question, the closer your fingers are to the frets the more pressure you'll need to apply to not get a buzzing noise (known as, shocker, "fret buzz").
On the eight day we spoke back...

let there be sound.