Bass forum, I need your opinions.

I was at the bass shop the other day buying strings and I got talking to the sales guy about buying a new bass. I explained the sort of stuff I play (down-tuned thrash stuff) and he suggested a Warwick. Here's the model that I tried out:

http://www.warwickbass.com/basses/streamer_$$.htm

Personally I was very happy with it. It seemed comfortable to play, I loved the tone and the multiple pick-up configurations make it seem like a good buy. Thing is, this is the first expensive bass I've tried (it retails for around $2500 here in Oz) and I dont want to blow money on something that may turn out to suck.

So, if you have any experience with Warwick basses, please contribute. Positive or negative opinions are both welcome. Thanks dudes.
If you find it comfortable and like the sound, then go for it. Try out the different Warwick pickups and see which you like best. I hate the feel of most Warwicks (especially the 5ers) but they're well made. Just something about them to me feels like trying to run with my boots on the wrong feet.
warwicks are very good basses. I say do it.
but try to get a warranty- 2500 is a lot of money to spend.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
If you tune down, try it out in the tuning you'll be using to get an idea of the string tension and feel.
You might decide to use a completely different gauge, but I don't notice much of a difference - especially with the two low strings.
For how much of an investment it is, most shops will accommodate you.
They are well-build basses
Quote by watchingmefall
I own two warwicks and they are awesome basses, really a love/hate bass. I have crappy soundclips in my profile or some better on youtube or on myspace if you wish to listen.

Raul, thats a great sounding bass. What model is that? The Streamer $$ sounded similar in tone, just growly because of the pick-ups. I really dig "Portrait Of Ingrid" by the way.

Quote by scawti
If you tune down, try it out in the tuning you'll be using to get an idea of the string tension and feel.
You might decide to use a completely different gauge, but I don't notice much of a difference - especially with the two low strings.
For how much of an investment it is, most shops will accommodate you.
They are well-build basses

After playing the bass in standard, I was very impressed so i asked them to tune down. It was not a problem at all. It sounded pretty awesome, just too floppy. the sales guy said they'd set it up for me if/when i buy it with whatever strings I like in whatever tuning.

Just another reason im so impressed with this particular shop.
Portrait of Ingrid on my profile is a Warwick Corvette Swamp Ash tuned tenor playing straight to the computer (no amp, no nothing) and the one on Youtube is the same amp played through a Acoustic rig.

Warwick downtuned sound incredibly mean, as in very aggressive and commanding basses, if you let them be.
ahh...thats why it sounded similar, same wood as the one I tried. Im pretty much convinced that this is the bass ive been looking for.
Just watch that the humbuckers of the $$ models can limit them slightly, as you always have that humbucker tone. Personally, I find Warwicks work best with single coils, as it gives a more natural growl (from wood selection) as opposed to humbucker growl.

However, Warwicks are incredibly versitile basses, as they have a very natural, but aggressive sound (if you chose not to restrain it ) which allows to it excel in metal (I use mine with a flat EQ and cut through brilliantly) though to jazz (trim off a little treble growl to smooth it out).

If you are comfortable on the neck and enjoy the rather distinct growl, I am unable to critisize them at all.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I thought that was the point of all the switchs and knobs, that I can dial out some of that growl? I can at least alter the sound of the p'ups (I could hear that for myself), even if I cant cut it out altogether.

Thanks all for taking this thread more seriously than the noob "should i get this bass" threads.