It's a conspiracy.

String manufacturers WANT their strings to break so that you'll buy more.

It's an endless, vicious cycle of epic proportions in order to generate enormous amounts of funds from an unknowing, guitar playing public.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
And the fact that you were playing Fallout Boy probably made the strings commit seppuku.
Quote by adrianjunger
And the fact that you were playing Fallout Boy probably made the strings commit seppuku.

+1 for you
Gear:
Fender Blues delux reissue
Boss GT-10
Schecter C1 Hellraiser!
ESP LTD EC-1000!
metal fatigue or not, but some guitars just seem to make the strings last forever...
Numerous things can contribute to a string breaking.

Tension. Rusting (breakdown). Friction. Scissors. Etc.

Any of these things alone or in combination can break a string. They're not indestructible. The reason why bridge/saddles are a primary suspect is because that's one of the areas of a string that's kept in contact with another piece of metal, under high tension. Eventually, the string is going to wear down at that point. If there's any burrs or sharp edges, the wear can occur fairly quickly. Combine that with constant strumming, pulling, bending, or a wire cutter, and the string's just going to snap.

Other places they can break are at the tuners, the bridge, or where you're strumming.
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Quote by stalin37
... and don't tell me : "it's because of the bridge/saddles."

It usually is. Either that or just the overall thinness of the string coupled with tension and repeated striking motions at a similar point.

That being said, cheap construction comes into play too. I use DR's and have never broken a string ever.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
It's because of the bridge/saddles. Get over it.
I don't even shred
Quote by SG Man Forever
It usually is. Either that or just the overall thinness of the string coupled with tension and repeated striking motions at a similar point.

That being said, cheap construction comes into play too. I use DR's and have never broken a string ever.

I use the Dimebag sigs from DR, I've never broken one.
Bought for a few pennies
Now you're all just empty
Fucking soulless machines
RIP YOU APART!!!

-All Shall Perish

[quote="'Anno[fzk"]']Strings just break over time and use.

No reason to start a forum over this
*Reported*

Hahaha jk
I hate those douches that report everything.

*Reported* for a false alarm and using the phrase 'reported' without a valid reason.

I jest of course, I for one would be (vaguely) intrigued to hear exactly why strings break. We all know exactly how to prevent them from doing so but never has it occurred to me what the physics of the thing is. 'Metal fatigue' is an umbrella term, do guitar strings gradually lose their strength over time or is it a very rapid process where they just suddenly 'give up'? If you accidentally make a kink while stringng a guitar, have you then condemned that string to a certain doom?

I liked Hakael's inclusion of 'scissors' as a factor, though in my experince they're the only things that won't break a string - especially just before a gig when I have to cut a string to the right length as quickly as possible...
Cuz no one likes you, especially not string tension and wearing down.
I like to write, and support Chemistry For Improved Life.

Please, recommend me any bands or artists of any genre or medium. Paintings, poets, writers, books, paintings, songs, musicians.

Anything, anything at all. Please.
Constant picking and bending, sooner or later the friction and wear and tear on metal will break it down.
Two reasons, ones common, and one is a bit common.

First IS the bridge/saddle. Or any friction anywhere.

and

From sweating, if a string breaks in the middle, it's because you haven't changed it in around a month and the acids from your sweat have eaten away at the string, only ever heard this happen to the high e string however.

or,
there is such thing, a crappy stringing job can make the string "fall" out from the tuning heads from a lot of bending.
Live Rig:
Ibanez Rg 150R w/ Duncan 59s
Marshall JCM2000 TSL60 Head
Mark IV Combo
Marshall 1960a Cab w/ Vintage 30s
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige w/ Duncan 59s
Jackson SLSMG Soloist
Currently in Ontario, Canada.

Quote by kyle62

I liked Hakael's inclusion of 'scissors' as a factor, though in my experince they're the only things that won't break a string - especially just before a gig when I have to cut a string to the right length as quickly as possible...

scissors have trouble cutting strings because strings are metal and scissors are not the proper tool for cutting metal. my wire snips have no issues ever cutting a string but thats cus it's the proper tool for the job.
I have good scissors... lol

I've only ever broken a string once, when I was restringing a guitar for the very first time.

Haven't broke one since.

Of course, now that I've stated that, I'm waiting for every string on every guitar I own to simultaneously snap....
hmmm...many pounds of pressure...lots of constant and varied vibration...whatever could it be?
Strings are DISPOSABLE parts. By design. They wear out. They lose tone.
They break. They go out of tune. They break on ultra high end guitars and
ultra low end guitars. They break. period. Get over it. If you've never broke one
you haven't played long enough ... Does it really matter exactly why?
Does it really matter exactly why?

yes, it does ; since some guitars do never break strings, and some break them on daily basis...
I had the same strings on my acoustic for 20 years cuz nobody was bothered to change them. They broke when my 3 year old nephew was trying to play guitar.
Guitars:
1994 Epiphone Explorer
1997 Epiphone Les Paul
Tech side:
Blackheart BH5H Little Giant
Rat DeuceTone
EH Knockout
G Lab Wowhee Wah
its a physics thing. lets say you have the perfect setup, you play without hammering on the strings, and you have the perfect room that allows the perfect environment for string life.

when something like metal bends (lets take a copper pipe for example) the point that it bends at causes its molecules to compress at that point making it harder and denser, But also more brittle.. when you bend it back there's a large chance the pipe will split or even break. (it may take a few tries)

the same is with strings.. while we're obviously not bending them like we're trying to break copper pipes, the small vibrations do cause some changes and compromise its strength.

also, sometimes they break cause they're just duds..
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
This about it:
Bend a metal wire quickly a bunch of times and it snaps.

A string is a metal wire under about 5 or 6kg of tension, vibating really fast, scraping against another metal surface, and being hit by a chunk of plastic. It also rusts over time, and that makes it less strong in parts.

Some guitars break strings less often than others purely out of design reasons.
Some guitars might have the strings crossing the bridge and nut at sharp angles with lots of tension. Some have more friction than others are the bridge and nut. Some people just play their guitars harder.

Tell us what guitar you have and we might be able to solve your string problems.
Quote by SG Man Forever
I use DR's and have never broken a string ever.

+1

DRs effing rule.
D:
Signature.
Quote by sashki
... Tell us what guitar you have...

my AmericanTelecasterMN did never break the strings,
but since recently it has started to break them...
Where do the breaks occur? at the bridge? At the nut? Where you're strumming?
If it's consistantly breaking at the bridge, it's possible that a burr or sharp edge could be rubbing up against the string there which would need to be carefully filed/sanded down. Another thing you could try doing is applying either Big Bends Nut Sauce or GHS Graphitall on the saddle, at the point where it contacts the strings. Or if you happen to have any pencil lead, you can rub that on the same area as well. It'll help reduce friction between the string and the saddle, reducing breakage from friction.
no, all this graphite business is a total flop ; i tried it with no result at all.
Quote by stalin37
hey, guys, i was serious when asking this.

HAHAHA.....Welcome to UG my friend.......For your own safety, stay out of The Pit if you're serious.....

Since they're constantly under tension, added stress can break them....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Well, you can attempt to use a file or high-grit sandpaper to try to smoothen the grooves that the string travels through on the saddle, but if you're not experienced in doing so, you could end up doing more damage than good. You could also take it to a tech and see if that's something that they can do. Other option (and probably easiest) would be to replace the saddles.
bridge... saddles...
but could it, actually, be some tonal change in the body of my guitar that via the resonance affects strings ??
Simply put.

No.
It's a thin piece of metal under tension that is constantly being struck and bent. What do you expect?
Strings are actually remarkably strong for how small they are.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself