Page 1 of 4
I'm sure everyone has one: that song you actually took the time to learn to play that you never admit in public. Either because an instructor made you, or to impress someone, or it just seemed like a good idea at the time.

Mine is "I love you always forever" by Donna Lewis. I learned to play the melody using 2 hand tapping and harmonics to bug our drummer who kept denying he loved the song.
sk8er boi :'(
Yamaha RGX 520FZ
Squier Affinitys Strat (customized!)
Johnson 620 Player Acoustic

Boss HM3 hyper metal
Boss CH1 super chorus
Zoom G1X

Peavey Valveking Royal 8
New: Peavey JSX Mini Collosal
Smells like teen spirit - Nirvana

Everyone said it was a good beginners song so I learned. Now I can't forget it.
No shame in learning anything - every song has something to give in terms of practice, honing your skills or in terms of songwriting style.
i came in here to say basically what smb said
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
mmmm... you spin me around... realy ****ing gay song... don't ask how i learn it
why should i be embarrassed for learning a song, even if its by fall out boy or something i wouldn't be embarrassed
Looking for a new sig!
dirty little secret (on guitar)...although I did write a 10x better solo for that song that was pretty cool, but the song is still gay.
TheBurningFish wrote:
I don't mean to generalise but I don't believe the average Coldplay fan is a massive musical theory nut.

FS/FT: Cort SP1 Stratocaster
Zoom GFX5 fx processor
Washburn BD40 amp
$100 each OBO
i like dirty little secret

intro to play that funky music
i'm not embarassed but my mom wont let m play anything else.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
No shame in learning anything - every song has something to give in terms of practice, honing your skills or in terms of songwriting style.

I definitely agree with that, but that doesn't mean someone have a song they won't readily admit to knowing how to play. Like all those people who deny owning NKOTB albums.
Quote by the humanity
i like dirty little secret

intro to play that funky music
i'm not embarassed but my mom wont let m play anything else.

10 bucks that you know the guitar line and not the actual bassline.
jesus christ superstar....just that wicked awesome slap riff in the begining

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
'Dance, Dance' by FOB lol. But who doesn't know it?

But yeah, I don't think there's much shame at all in learning songs. Learn as many as you can IMO!
signature
All the Small Things - Blink182

Can't stand the vocals, too boy bandish, but the music is good. I could say that about almost every Blink song actually...
Blackeyed Peas- Lets Get Retarded
Quote by the humanity
You will be the High Lowlord's High Lowlife!

Ibanez EDB 550
Laney RB6
Best of Both Worlds-Hannah Montana
School band, we are playing it for a bunch of third graders.
even though I usually play sharp so it sounds horrid.
Gear
Peavy Basic 60 bass amp
Fender American Precison W/Quarter pounders
SX SPJ-62
Acoustic B100
SX SJB-75 LTD NA
Why would you be ashamed for learning a song?...Weak minded fools.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
A surprisingly large amount of FOB songs.

It gets me lol's when I hang out with other bassists.
* Nobody likes WootSticks
Quote by Bullet-Rule
'Dance, Dance' by FOB lol. But who doesn't know it?

But yeah, I don't think there's much shame at all in learning songs. Learn as many as you can IMO!

i feel ur pain, i no it too. on bass?
Quote by SeveralSpecies
How the f*ck are you gonna get a cat to bark?

---------------------------5------8-----7-
----------------5-------------------------
------------------1-3-3-------/6----/5----
-1/3--1-1h3-------------------------------

Matt Freeman>You
Quote by CurbstompBass
Three Days Grace - Animal I Have Become

Please forgive me, bass gods.

i no it 2. the bass is sick
Quote by SeveralSpecies
How the f*ck are you gonna get a cat to bark?

---------------------------5------8-----7-
----------------5-------------------------
------------------1-3-3-------/6----/5----
-1/3--1-1h3-------------------------------

Matt Freeman>You
I once learned for my school band
Girls Just wanna have fun - Cydny Lauper
I forgot it within a week at least, but just thinking about it makes me feel sick
SHE walks in beauty, like the night
Of cloudless climes and starry skies;
And all that's best of dark and bright
Meet in her aspect and her eyes:
Thus mellow'd to that tender light
Which heaven to gaudy day denies.
I learned the intro to that piece of **** "Low" by Flo' Rider or whoever that is. I also learned the steel drum part to "Soulja Boy." Of course, they're each only 3 or 4 notes.
highschool musical...
we were forced to play it in music class...
the hoohoo song from kill bill....or more popularly known from the verison wireless song

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
viva forever by the spice girls...i tried doing a midi-rock cover of it ages ago which is why i learned it..and i kinda wanna learn wannabe too...
Quote by Heilz
When backstage and talkin to the ladies i always go with the ¨Mines is bigger than theirs¨ argument as me bro holds hes guitar and i take out my bass... It works wonders @,@

Gear list:
Squire Affinity P-Bass
Ashdown Mag300 Evo II
Boss ODB-3
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
not ashamed, but not proud either. lol
We Got The Beat, The Go-Go's.
Purple Rain, Prince.
Wanted Dead Or Alive, Bon Jovi.

I was once asked by a guitarist if I knew the bass line for "Echo Beach" by Martha and the Muffins. When I asked why, he said they played it in their band and I thought, cool, yeah, that would be a great song to cover. They needed a bassist so I thought what the hell, this could be decent.

Well..they ended up being a 1980s pop cover band and the gist of the story is, that was the only decent pop song they covered. I actually went as far as to learn the bass line for the Go-Gos song mentioned by 83LSP and a few truly awful Journey hits. I realized after the second time we played together I'd rather feast on glass than re-live the truly awful pop songs of the 1980s every other weekend.
Quote by Narcotics
the hoohoo song from kill bill....or more popularly known from the verison wireless song

it's basically just a generic 12 bar blues. I don't see a problem in knowing how to play the blues.

But then again, i'm not really ashamed of anything i know how to play. I'll lay down a dance dance, or Seven Nation Army any day, if i'm bored enough.

also, the rampant homophobia in this thread makes me sick. almost every other post is "ugh, i hate this song, because it's so gay!"
one day i was force to learn a boys like girls song. . . but after that day i threatened to leave the band if i ever had to play it again . so we never played it again.
Quote by Zar938

also, the rampant homophobia in this thread makes me sick. almost every other post is "ugh, i hate this song, because it's so gay!"

now that is gay!

Edit: Sigged!
Last edited by 83lespaulstudio at Apr 12, 2008,
The worst song I ever learned has to be Mother by Danzig. Its actually a very good song. But when you play it with your first band at your first gig, the singer actually being a guitarist who couldn't actually sing, and who played the solo in clean mode on his amp, so nobody could hear him over me and the other guitarist, and my bass just dying of embarrassment (I nearly joined it), well lets just say its the basis of a lot of jokes aimed at me by everyone who was at that concert.
Page 1 of 4