Page 1 of 3
I've been in the game a long time and I have seen the trends that have come and gone and the music that has become timeless. Jeff Walker from Carcass said it best in a recent interview when he stated that this is a great time for Metal because the technology has allowed REAL talent to shine in ways it could never have been heard before. The issue though is that labels are trying to capitalize on all this and so instead of putting out maybe 8-10 great metal records a year by the best bands in the business, they are pumping out HUNDREDS of Cd's a year and for a true fan it makes it seem like metal is dying, because ya gotta sift through 90 albums of **** to find the 10 good ones.

I think, in my own opinion, that this is VERY true but the cool thing is METAL fans are TRUE LOVERS OF GREAT MUSIC and we spread the word fast when we hear something we love. These forums kick ass and as much as I despize the My Space crap, it's been a great tool for hearing new stuff! To get specific on good new bands and offer my 2 cents:

Gojira: HEAVY, INTELLIGENT, and refreshingly POSITIVE! KICK ASS BAND PERIOD!

ISIS: Highly underated band that quite frankly was every bit as exciting to watch as Tool when they toured together. If you haven't heard 'em do yourself a favor and pick up Oceanic or Panopticon.

Opeth: Intelligent, Heavy, TALENTED, and bad ass live!

discovering these 3 bands in the last year alone has renewed my faith in METAL!
"When one loses himself in his art, the art then comes to life."

-Hazrat Inayat Khan
Metal as a genre is HUGE, easily one of the widest styles around, so to say metal can be stagnant is hard to do because there are so many different styles, whilst some will be very repetative for a while because of the case of ,one good metal band=10 more metal bands copying them i think it's all down to where you look and so forth.

PS, very nice choice of bands
"Let the METAL flow!" Labels are signing METAL bands left and right. Anyone with talent, drive and a couple good friends; now's you're best shot in ages!
absolutely. I agree that technology has helped the underground immensly. It seems like back in the old days of Metal there were a handful of bands to choose from, now its endless. Also when you have underground bands making music there doing it out of sheer passion and love for metal not for dollar signs. You get better, more raw energetic music when it becomes about the passion.
Originally Posted by fatdanny
Also, check out Autopsy, the vocalist sounds like hes about to eat your grandmother while f
Metal's not stagnant, there's a huge amount of amazing active bands at the moment.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
Yes and No

Metal in all together yes, But bands like Mastodon, Dream Theater, and Post metal bands, like Pelican and Russian Circles, are very great, Boris is good (drone, stoner metal) but mostly yes, all the crap you see on Headbangers Ball and ridiculous, except occasionally they play mastodon.
Quote by rebeltildeth87
Also when you have underground bands making music there doing it out of sheer passion and love for metal not for dollar signs. You get better, more raw energetic music when it becomes about the passion.

agreed. I love being the one band that sounds completely different from all the others at local shows. You know its a good show when EVERY band sounds different and they all kick ass--all playing the music that they love just because they love it. \m/
TheBurningFish wrote:
I don't mean to generalise but I don't believe the average Coldplay fan is a massive musical theory nut.

FS/FT: Cort SP1 Stratocaster
Zoom GFX5 fx processor
Washburn BD40 amp
$100 each OBO
no it is not stagnant. you have to realize that in every genre there is going to be an abundance of good and bad bands. Time has always been good to metal and it keeps getting better because we are not plagued by mainstream attention and do not have to adhere to industry standards.
Thanks everybody for replying to this post. I agree with all the points made and I think we are in a very intense time in music and there is some great music being made and that was exactly why I posted this was to see other metal fans take on the state of metal today!

HORNS UP TO ALL MY FELLOW METALHEADS!
"When one loses himself in his art, the art then comes to life."

-Hazrat Inayat Khan
Shade Empire-Zero Nexus
Ne Obliviscaris-The Aurora Veil
Agalloch-Ashes Against the Grain
Alchemist-Tripsis
Anubis Gate-Andromeda Unchained
Daath-The Hinderers
Riverside-Rapid Eye Movement
Dawn of Tears-Descent
Dark Tranquillity-Fiction
In Mourning-Shrouded Divine
Amon Amarth-With Oden On Our Side
Be'lakor-The Frail Tide
The Red Chord-Prey for Eyes
Sigh-Hangman's Hymn
Anata-The Conductor's Departure
Warning-Watching from a Distance
Celtic Frost-Monotheist
Vo Skorbyah-Self titled
Symphony X-Paradise Lost
Arsis-We Are the Nightmare
Epicurean-A Consequence of Design
Orden Ogan-Vale
Ahab-The Call of the Wretched Sea
Enslaved-Ruun
Anaal Nathrakh-Eschaton, Hell is Empty...
Opeth-Ghost Reveries, Watershed (not out yet, but probably gonna be amazing)
Callisto-Noir
Swallow the Sun-Hope
Daylight Dies-Dismantling Devotion
To-Mera-Transcendental
Eluveitie-Spirit
Gwynbleidd-Amaranthine
Insomnium-Above the Weeping World
Melechesh-Emissaries
Napalm Death-Smear Campaign
Solefald-Red for Fire, Black for Death
Vanden Plas-Christ.O

Metal getting stagnant my ass.
I have to say the kind of crap you see on kerrang and stuff is the worst excuse of metal ever (though sometimes theres a good song then and again), But once you cut through all that crap and discover Opeth, Dream Theater and that sort of stuff. Well metal becomes exciting and less about the dollars and more about the passion for just playing.
Metal can be interesting if you WANT it to, na mean?
I want to go as far to the edge without going over. Out on the edge, you can see all kinds of different things.
2008 releases alone, new Manilla Road, new Proclamation, new Revenge, new Necrovation. im not a fan of the less underground music that gets released at the moment but the underground is still the strongest underground in music...
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
Quote by Scourge441

Solefald-Red for Fire, Black for Death

I have to say i was disappointed with this one
Most of the others were great releases
nyrkki
Founder of UG's COB Hatecrew
Anything by Between The Buried and Me or Opeth is definitely not stagnant
Bands like Mastodon, Baroness, Isis, Gojira, Pelican and High on Fire and lots of post-metal bands are great for metal...theres new types of metal emerging all the time
Quote by slayer1516
I think the real problem is that it has bcome a trend

That is true, but you can easily pick out the posers from the true fans, so it's not a problem, just put them in their place when they start mouthing off about how they know loads about metal, and listen to the real stuff. *Blasts some Mirrorthrone.*
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
I think it's become a little too repetitive since everyone is influenced by at least one of the same bands all of it begins to run together......Lately Death and small bits of Black Metal have made it a little fresher for "true" Metal but I've also found a Metalcore band called Eyes Set To Kill that really freshened up Metalcore for me...
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
BladeSlinger you don't look deep enough into metal. Yes, people are always influenced by bands before them, but there is plenty of originality in metal. Besides, I don't mind the rip-off bands, as long as they sound good.
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

Quote by MHDrunk
BladeSlinger you don't look deep enough into metal. Yes, people are always influenced by bands before them, but there is plenty of originality in metal. Besides, I don't mind the rip-off bands, as long as they sound good.

Yea, I know I don't.....Then again I don't listen to very extreme Metal so that's a whole group I'm passing over.....I personally dislike Brutal Death Metal in most of it's forms so that's a big area....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by MHDrunk

Agreed. I find cool new bands everyday practically. As of recent I've been looking into the more ambient side of metal such as Lurker of Chalice.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
*dons flamesuit*

Metal was stagnant in 1980, that's why it's had to borrow so much from hardcore/punk/crust/grindcore.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
My 2 cents.

Anyone who thinks metal has gone stagnant just isn't looking hard enough.
Just because thrash isn't the biggest genre in the world anymore doesn't mean metal is "dying". Hell, as Scourge pointed out, the last 2/3 years have been AMAZING with bands like Ne Obliviscaris, Agalloch, Opeth, To-Mera, etc, keeping the faith strong.

The only problem is that it IS [outside of the core scene] becoming harder and harder to get noticed. Ie: You can't really just be a "thrash metal band" or a "death metal band". You have to wear your influences and those influences have to be varied. You can't just write an album of Slayer songs and hope to make it big. You have to sound different, but still accessible. IE: Between The Buried and Me, Dream Theater, Opeth.
It's striking that balance that many bands fail at.

Now, I for one, don't like most "standard" genres. I don't really like black metal or death metal, or thrash. But I LOVE mixed genres.
Symphonic Black Metal, Technical Death Metal, Progressive Death Metal, Deathcore, etc etc.
And even by limiting myself to them, I still come across a dozen great new bands a week. Hell, take a look at my profile, under "music". That's a constantly updating list of every band I listen to.

Basically, if you think that metal is becoming stagnant, or dying out, well, I'm afraid that you're either;
a) Not looking hard enough
or
b) Too picky

My 2 cents.
Feel free to ignore me if my age is a problem for you [17]
I would have reflected somewhat of a stagnant view on the Metal front a year ago or so, but that's because I hadn't even started delving into Metal on my own accord. Since doing that I'm completely the opposite.

Metal is thriving (I'm not even referring to the trend/mainstream-esque stuff) and the Globalism & Electronic distribution situation is definitely helping that.

Quote by STABxYOU
*dons flamesuit*

Metal was stagnant in 1980, that's why it's had to borrow so much from hardcore/punk/crust/grindcore.

EPIC FAIL right there

(I understand where your coming from, but still over-statement, BIG-TIME!)
Last time I checked Punk has become pretty Barron in the public eye, hence all the Metalcore & Deathcore style hybrids cropping up.

Plus Punk owes Metal too IMHO, people can spew all that "No Death Metal if not for Hardcore!" stuff, but I say that is just Old School fans getting pissy about the fact *cues Music* "Anything Punk can do, Metal can do better!" /end my input
^hardcore punk owes metal, and hardcore punk is becoming a lot more stagnant than traditional punk. in fact, most punk forms are thriving.

however i often wonder whether a new form of metal will come along...not just a sub-subgenre (melodic / tech death, etc) but forms like death and thrash themselves.
i for the life of me can't think of how i could possibly make a new genre, and that makes it hard for me to imagine someone else doing it.
Quote by B4Dkarma
When you look at a guy and immediately go, "wow, what a douchebag"

that is what girls find attractive.
i dont like any death except for old school - that means no tech, progressive, slam, brutal, core - nothing except straight up old school death metal. And I still get by alright, finding a good new album once a month or so.

Quote by MHDrunk
i dont like any death except for old school - that means no tech, progressive, slam, brutal, core - nothing except straight up old school death metal. And I still get by alright, finding a good new album once a month or so.

Once a month?
Dear god...
I'll find like, 10-15 great albums a month, and a ton of boring ones....
Quote by cusclade
Wheres the mention of FIREWIND

2 posts in and I hate you already.
Firewind are a generic power metal band.
Stop pushing them.
i meant, once a month i find a good new death album. classifying new by within 2 years. i like alot of other styles, so i find probably about 9 or 10 a month

although it has been like that since about 2005 haha... before which my tastes were a little more open

nah i know but generally people tend to become more selective in their tastes the longer they listen... not everyone though. its not a case of wanting to be close minded so much haha just not liking anything else

-nods-
Perfectly understandable
On that topic
Is it just me or are uber gr1m and tr00 black metal fans, some of the most annoying people on the planet?
on the original topic:

Hell no.
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

Quote by Monkey_Bassist

(I understand where your coming from, but still over-statement, BIG-TIME!)
Last time I checked Punk has become pretty Barron in the public eye, hence all the Metalcore & Deathcore style hybrids cropping up.

Plus Punk owes Metal too IMHO, people can spew all that "No Death Metal if not for Hardcore!" stuff, but I say that is just Old School fans getting pissy about the fact *cues Music* "Anything Punk can do, Metal can do better!" /end my input

Yeah, it was a definite oversimplification. Mostly because punk is the new blues, almost all modern rock is rooted in it to some extent. Related, I could of said with just as much truth 'hardcore was stagnant in 1986, and that's why it's had to borrow so much from metal'. Rock's two angry kids always share, even if there's a bit of sibling rivalry. When the one stagnates the other innovates, then slows down, gets boring and waits for the other one to have a revival or big idea. The more they share the more they grow alike. Eventually assimilation might be a bigger issue then growing stagnant.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Page 1 of 3