Page 1 of 5
Hello all!

Now, I'm currently in planning for this, but it'll be rather epic once I'm done (probably around summer time or something).

I'm jumping the gun somewhat, yes. Alright!

As I'm sure you can tell from the title, I'm considering building myself a bass guitar.

Here's a picture so you can see roughly what kind of shape I'm thinking about that the moment (heavily influenced by Wal)

Right, now for specs.

Body: Wenge with some kind of figured top.
Neck: Neck-thru Maple
Fretboard: Ebony
No. of frets: 24
No. of strings: 4
Finish: Tung Oil
Pickups: Self made humbuckers (2x)
Controls: 3 band EQ with either seperate volumes or a blend.
Other: Maybe individual pickup selectors for the humbuckers. Not sure yet.

That's effectively it. Opinions? Things I should be aware of? Things I should change?

Anyway, just want to keep you guys posted on it as I traverse the rocky waters of luthierdomshipman-thingy.

Cheers!

Chris.

(PS I know there's no headstock. I haven't designed it yet.)
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
My first thought looking at that is about balance. I'd be tempted to extend the upper horn, given that the cutout in the body below the bridge means the bridge isn't right at the end of the body so there's more weight towards the headstock end...if you see what I mean
This is more of an example of shape than anything.

Do not take pickup/bridge/control placement as being serious at this point. Also, the cut-out was just a random idea. It may/may not get into the final build.
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

Quote by smb
My first thought looking at that is about balance. I'd be tempted to extend the upper horn, given that the cutout in the body below the bridge means the bridge isn't right at the end of the body so there's more weight towards the headstock end...if you see what I mean

if that pic is to be taken remotely to scale then the upper horn looks to be longer than that of my jazz bass and the bridge looks to be only marginally closer to the head than on my jazz bass
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
It looks a bit like a certain Music Man bass. Idr remember the name exactly, it might be a Sterling or a Bongo. Since you have humbuckers, i think it would be cool to have 2 mini-toggles. an on/off/coil-tap would be cool. For your headstock, i think a Feder-style or a Music Man one would be good. I wouldnt put a figured top on it, i would just put laminates on the wings, since its a Neck-thru, and having the pickups and bridge attatched to the neck helps with sustain, among other things.
if I was building it I'd use wenge for the neck, not the body. comfort thing.
I think maples stronger though, less subject to warping.
maybe some of those little stripes down the neck?

you should put a headstock like the sg basses... its a classy headstock
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
One suggestion, you should have the one strap button on the opposite side of the cutout. Otherwise it would feel weird i would imagine.
put a reverse p bass headstock on there, that'd look amazing!
Quote by sargasm
I like to draw pictures of penises everywhere.

It makes me feel like a big man.

Proud owner of a fender deluxe player's strat - honey blonde/maple neck Here it is

Member of the Stratocaster Lovers Group
If you haven't built before, do alot of rough prototypes and such. This will help you learn how to do this kind of thing. The first guitar I ever built was rough, but its a good learning experience. On the other hand, if you have built before disregard everything I said.
good luck with the "self made humbuckers"
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
IMO, I would widen the cutout by the bridge and angle the points inward. Then maybe make the horns a little pointed.

Then again, I like pointy basses, so that's just me.
Moser Custom Shop 5-string Scimitar
Moser Arachnid
Fender Jazz MIM
Digitech Bass Driver
Morley Dual Bass Wah
Genz Benz GBE750
Genz Benz GB410T-XB2
A real DIY bass down to the pickups eh? Sweet.

As for the decision between separate vol knobs or a blend knob, I would go for the separate volume knobs. Never know when you might need to volume swell or just shut off the volume.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Personally I would do an all maple neck/fretboard, but that's totally opinions. What kind of pickups are you going to model yours after?

Modelling them to a certain extent to that of a Wal. However, I'm taking my own liberties on certain parts. Rather than wire them in series (which creates the Humbucker tone) I'm going to be wiring in parallel.

As said by the great internet:
This method has a more neutral effect on resonant frequency: mutual capacitance is doubled (which if inductance were constant would result in a lowering of resonant frequency), and inductance is halved (which would raise the resonant frequency without the capacitance change).
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

Quote by Charlatan_001
A real DIY bass down to the pickups eh? Sweet.

As for the decision between separate vol knobs or a blend knob, I would go for the separate volume knobs. Never know when you might need to volume swell or just shut off the volume.

No wai. Blend knobs are much better. It's so much easier than separate volumes to get the exact ratio of pickups. With dual volume I find it very difficult to dial in a good tone, because I never quite know exactly how much of each pickup I'm using in relation to the other.

Plus, for volume swells and shutting off the volume it's much easier. You only have one master volume to worry about.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
No wai. Blend knobs are much better. It's so much easier than separate volumes to get the exact ratio of pickups. With dual volume I find it very difficult to dial in a good tone, because I never quite know exactly how much of each pickup I'm using in relation to the other.

Plus, for volume swells and shutting off the volume it's much easier. You only have one master volume to worry about.

i disagree i think seperate volumes are a much better option because with a blend as you are biasing towards one pickup you are biasing against the other whereas if you had seperate volumes you can keep one at full volume and cut the volume of the other as needs be instead of boosting one while cutting the other. and you don't need to know how much of each pickup you're using you just gotta get a good sound, a good sound isn't dictated by how intimately you know the blend ratios of your pickups
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
That makes sense... in a gay sort of way.

But yeah, I can see where you're coming from with the cut without boost thing. But you can still achieve that sound with a blend knob. If you want a little more neck than bridge you just bias slightly toward the neck and you've done, virtually, the same thing as having the neck pickup on ten and the bridge pickup on 8 or whatever it is. To me it's just simplified.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
That makes sense... in a gay sort of way.

But yeah, I can see where you're coming from with the cut without boost thing. But you can still achieve that sound with a blend knob. If you want a little more neck than bridge you just bias slightly toward the neck and you've done, virtually, the same thing as having the neck pickup on ten and the bridge pickup on 8 or whatever it is. To me it's just simplified.

everything i do makes sense in a gay sort of way, it's when it makes sense in a normal sort of way you should be worried

but it seems that with a blend knob a smaller movement makes a bigger difference. i know that can be taken as either a good or bad thing but i take it as a bad thing personally
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I wanted some attention .

No one loves me anymore .
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

My daddy is helping me out loads on this.

Leave him out of it!
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

Thought I'd get a bit of an update on this thread (as if anyone cared).

I've ordered the body wood - It's Ovangkol, the same wood Warwick use for their necks now. I've decided against having a figured wood top, I'm too lazy.

I'm also going to be making the neck myself. How hard can it be?
Meh.

So I'm soon going to order some maple and purple heart for the neck.
As far as the home made pickups are coming along, I've designed exactly what I'm doing for them, so when I get up to my workshop I can get on with everything as quickly as possible.

Pictures of the wood when I get it!
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

Purple heart

This bass is gonna be hella sexy, Chris.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Quote by Dinkydaisy
Purple heart

This bass is gonna be hella sexy, Chris.

Not half as sexy as you gorgeous...

If I could have your measurements, I could make you in bass form
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

Quote by Nutter_101
Not half as sexy as you gorgeous...

If I could have your measurements, I could make you in bass form

I'd rub down her neck

Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
You filthy boys.

I should post here more often
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
I'd erm... play some rush on it? Wait... damn it, that isn't innuendo!
Currently attempting to learn: The Dissentience by Protest The Hero in it's entirety.
Chris hurry up with the damn thing so you can start on my CT inspired 5 string fretless!!!
Anythoughts on the headstock yet?
Now, a question of etiquette - as I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
Those homemade pups dont happen to be those "Halfbuckers" that you mentioned in some other thread, do they?Or mabey it was someone else who said something about that...

Quote by Nutter_101

Pictures of the wood when I get it!

Pr0n, lol???
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Last edited by c3powil at Jun 9, 2008,
ya good luck pickup winding will be a bitch wont it but good luck i like the shape
The neck thing will probably be fairly difficult, but the benefit is that you can make it feel EXACTLY how you want it to feel. For sure look up some guides on how to make a neck.

I'm excited to see how this turns out.
Quote by c3powil
Those homemade pups dont happen to be those "Halfbuckers" that you mentioned in some other thread, do they?Or mabey it was someone else who said something about that...

Actually, I'm doing something slightly different to how I described, and it should be a lot easier to wind them than I was thinking before!

Wood arrived today, I'll post pictures at somepoint. Doesn't look nice yet though
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

Quote by Nutter_101
Actually, I'm doing something slightly different to how I described, and it should be a lot easier to wind them than I was thinking before!

Wood arrived today, I'll post pictures at somepoint. Doesn't look nice yet though

what were Halfbuckers anyway?

and on the wood, some sanding, red dye and satin will do the trick
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
what were Halfbuckers anyway?

and on the wood, some sanding, red dye and satin will do the trick

I can't go around telling you all design ideas of my revolutionary pickups, can I? Otherwise how could I sell them? People would just copy them!

And I'm not staining this one. I'm probably gonna tung/danish oil it, and maybe wax on the outside.

Ovangkol is far too dark a wood for a red stain to look good.
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

oh yeah. ovangkol
*hits head repeatedly with Mayo Clinic: Family Health Book.*
c'mon, at least tell me what your revolutionary pickup will sound like in theory...
PWEEZE?

I luv you...

Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Okay, time for an update.

The body wood is here. The neck woods are soon to be ordered.

The specs are all sorted. The pickup winder is made. The tools are ready. I've just got to travel 860 miles to get to them!

I may start selling pickups after this, I'll just see how they work out.

Updates as I craft this monstrosity.
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

Page 1 of 5