i'm looking for a good amp for metal, but i am a student on a budget of about $500-$600. any suggestions on where i should start looking?
Used Peavey 5150 or 6505 (same thing). Brand new look into Bugera, B52, Randall, maybe Peavey Valveking.
Schecter C1 Classic Left Handed
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
Peavey Valveking 112 with a bad monkey OD pedal. great for metal.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
ENGL all the way. The screamer combo is good, if you don't have a whole load of cash to spend, but as ortigger said, save more money and buy something that'll last
B-52 AT-112. Maybe add a boost, and you should be set. Or a ValveKing, again with a clean boost or overdrive pedal.
how big are you looking? half stack? 2x12? does it matter? I love my randalls in my sig, the rg 100 2x12 is under 500, and theres a 200 watt version for around 600, depending on how much power you need.
TheBurningFish wrote:
I don't mean to generalise but I don't believe the average Coldplay fan is a massive musical theory nut.

FS/FT: Cort SP1 Stratocaster
Zoom GFX5 fx processor
Washburn BD40 amp
$100 each OBO
Quote by oneblackened

+1

or the randall rg50tc is great for metal and right inside your price range (559 USD)
Quote by alkalineweeman
If by "clean" you mean "get a finger right up in there and do a good bit of spelunking" then i guess "at any given opportunity" is my answer.

mah hardcore band
http://monstersvsaliens.bandcamp.com/
Quote by ortrigger
save more and get an ENGL. or maybe a Cube.

Isn't this kind of like saying:

"save more and get a Porsche, or maybe a Hyundai."
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by Kendall
Isn't this kind of like saying:

"save more and get a Porsche, or maybe a Hyundai."

okay then, here's what you do...you save up lots and lots of money then get an ENGL amp with 2 4X12 cabinets...okay...then...you take it to your work or least favorite class and show them what metal really is...MELT ALL OF THEIR MINDS WITH AN INSANELY EPIC SOLO!!!! that is teh metallzzzz.
Probobly best bet for metal(Like most people will say) a used peavey 5150/6505 combo, seriously, their amazing and brutal.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey XXX 60 watt combo
Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer

Quote by Twist of fate
You're not racist, only black people are.

Quote by clincher09
Ah yes, you have a condition that many guys live with and are affected by everyday. It's called a penis.
Quote by oneblackened

no Valveking is crap :P.
Look for a used Crate Blue Voodoo or Crate Stealth on ebay.
My Gear
Edwards E-LP-98LTC
Ibanez RG 321 MH
Jackson DK2M with tonezone
Mesa Mark III
Tech 21 Trademark 10