I feel like a robot... I just sit there, and concentrate on playing. then in my guitar club at school, the teacher said "you are good, but you need to move around"... So I do the "power stance", jump on on tables and headbang while playing, ect, and I do better...

what about you guys?
ESP F-250
Tubescreamer TS7
Boss DS-1
Boss Metal Zone
Jackson JS30KV
Vox AD50VT-212
POD 2.0
When my hand touches my guitar
I cry
every single time.
Gear

93 Jackson Dinky Professional Reverse
98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Custom 2x10 cab w/Bugeras
Quote by shredforbread33
When my hand touches my guitar
I cry
every single time.

that means that when you die you'll receive your legendary guitar skills, that what happened to both hendrix AND Dimebag Darrel
When my hand touches my guitar.
I make everyone else cry.
Every single time.
Because I suck.
Guitar: G&L Tribute S-500
Amp: Fender Blues Deluxe
Pedals: Zvex Box of Rock
I half flip out half not..cause i wanna play the song with no screw up..lol
Quote by Wrst_Plyr_Evr
I beat my wife

Beating yea bi
Do the ninja stance.

And headbang.

While playing soft rock.
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
This is the funniest thing i've ever read on UG.
lespaulrocks39, you sir are awesome.
you dont need to jump around or do a power stance. When ever i play with my band i always kinda walk towards each member and have a telepathic talk with them.
i have the same problem, but when i start spaccing out, then my playing can be affected. You need to find a balance, cos obviously you don't want to bore the audience with your (in)actions, but if your playing becomes jeopardized, then you need to decide which is more important. If you can breathe life into your playing, then true talent could never be replaced by stage antics...

but then one has to consider some of the bigger theatrical bands, like rammstein who's shows and music rock...

i guess its down to each individual...
Quote by mdlarry7
my hands on guitar = boner

i'm kinda like the TS though. i don't really move much when i play. but i'm not very good either...
Emotion comes with time, simple as that. Once you get used to the guitar, I'd say by your second year, you will start to notice tiny details in the things you play that are very subtle but extremely effective if you use them right, like vibrato, hitting bends up to pitch, good timing and rhythm, and the use of dynamics. You might be able to play a song fully in theory, but you can't play anything with emotion without aquiring these techniques which only come with time.
My Gear:

Guitars:
Fender American HSS Stratocaster

Amps & Effects:
Hand-Wired JCM 800 2204
Hand-Wired V30 2x12 Cab
Keeley TS-9 Tube Screamer
ISP Decimator
EHX Holiest Grail
Modded Dunlop Crybaby
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Quote by LightningRider
Emotion comes with time, simple as that. Once you get used to the guitar, I'd say by your second year, you will start to notice tiny details in the things you play that are very subtle but extremely effective if you use them right, like vibrato, hitting bends up to pitch, good timing and rhythm, and the use of dynamics. You might be able to play a song fully in theory, but you can't play anything with emotion without aquiring these techniques which only come with time.

+1
I'm in my 3rd year and I'm developing my own style and emotion. More of a spanish/bluesy feel is making it's way into my metal. I'm also noticing facial expressions I make. I don't do anything of these intentionally I just do them.
Gear

93 Jackson Dinky Professional Reverse
98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Custom 2x10 cab w/Bugeras
everyone says I make a face like Eric Clapton and I can't stop it once i get playing. All though i have gotten better with my emotions when I play and the face stops when I play with a lot of emotion.

It just takes practice. get to know the music well then it will come.
Gear
Schecter C1 Hellraiser FR
1967 Ventura Les Paul Copy
Marshall JCM 2000 Dual Super Lead
If I'm playing metal, or playing the blues, you can tell from just looking on me. If that's what you mean...
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
hehe, i suppose the the diff between the a songwriter and a musician. a song writer can write great songs but not have to worry about so much about making a spectacle of themselves..

whereas a musician is as much a writer as a performer.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
i jump about a lot, coz our drummer's always goin on about stage presence. and then has a big moan because we jump around too much, it's pathetic. i've always jumped about when i play because it makes me feel most comfortable.
hello
If you want to put more emotion in your playing, learn a few scales, and spend a few minutes improvising etc. Recoft if you want and add it to a song, when you play it, remember how you felt.
Depends what kind of music you're playing, and where.

If you're,say, a blues guitarist forced to play metal at a fundraising tea-party for disabled children, you're not going to give a flying f*ck about what you play, at least beyond the fine veneer of 'professionalism'.

If you're, say, a metal guitarist, playing the metal you love, in a packed-out venue full of screaming, cheering fans...you're bound to go with the flow. It's all about context.

EDIT:
Quote by nickbob00
If you want to put more emotion in your playing, learn a few scales

What?
When I really get into my playing I cant help it but I start to drool. But when I mean get into it Im like lost. Im completely oblivious to my surroundings like my head is still, mouth open, eyes dazed, and I drool. If Im not that emotional my mouth does the moving thing haha.
someone told me today actually that I tend to play the note with my mouth while im playing... i didnt even realize...
"You've got to trust your instinct
And let go of regret
You've got to bet on yourself now star
'Cause that's your best bet" - 311
i make orgasm faces when i solo.

oh, and ive been told when im playing, sometimes ill bite my lower lip and my eyes will flash.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
I find when I play, I'm doing a lot of SRV-ish moves, which looks kinda stupid to people not exactly passionate about music.
Make sex faces + play slow solos + bends = emotion

Thats all it ****ing is.In my opinion when kids say your a robot and you have no emotion that is just them saying "I'm jealous of your speed/control and to make myself not feel like a noob, I'm going to hate on you for it by calling you a robot.

Speed & control are one of the best things a guitarist can have.Ever guitarist has emotion..even shredder but most people wouldn't know that because they can't shred
Last edited by The Minorthreat at Apr 12, 2008,
Quote by The Minorthreat

Thats all it ****ing is.In my opinion when kids say your a robot and you have no emotion that is just them saying "I'm jealous of your speed/control and to make myself not feel like a noob, I'm going to hate on you for it by calling you a robot.

Speed & control are one of the best things a guitarist can have.Ever guitarist has emotion..even shredder but most people wouldn't know that because they can't shred

I enjoy shred and emotional playing. I love it when you combine both and get fast blues (Srv, Hendrix... Bad ASS).

I don't know why both sides of the argument argue so much when they're both just as good.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Quote by TheBurningFish
I enjoy shred and emotional playing. I love it when you combine both and get fast blues (Srv, Hendrix... Bad ASS).

I don't know why both sides of the argument argue so much when they're both just as good.

I do the same but I hate when people diss shredding... but to tell you the truth there is no such thing as emotional playing.Every single guitarist shows emotion.
Quote by The Minorthreat
I do the same but I hate when people diss shredding... but to tell you the truth there is no such thing as emotional playing.Every single guitarist shows emotion.

I agree.

Shredding is fun. When one is shredding, you're on stage in front of a bunch of people, having a good time.

Therefore, shredding is showing emotion.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Quote by The Minorthreat

I agree, surely a good player is a good player. Pulling silly faces doesn't make you a batter guitarist because you've got "emotion" especially if it doesn't sound particularly better.

e.g. Robert Trujillo, when he's doing a bass solo he pulls hilarious faces, it's quite endearing, but that's just a quirk of his player. No logical and sane person could ever say that show of emotion makes him a better player than if he didn't do it.

Certain emotion - shown in the form of energy such as the guys from Iron Maiden can make a more interesting stage performance though, because you can see they're enjoying it. But, again, doesn't make them better musicians.
I think people diss shredding because so many smug people consider it the ultimate guitar skill and if you can't (or choose not to) do it, you suck.

I also think that people go to a show to see a show. They don't like to see people just stand in one spot for an entire set. It's cool if someone stops for a minute to play a really difficult solo or something, but no one likes to see people standing around looking bored.

Having said that, I personally hate it when people look like they're forcing it. I hate it when people jump around, swinging their guitars all over the place, bumping into each other, throwing their arms, flinging their hair in all directions, and generally looking like idiots. Emotion shouldn't be something that you have to fake. If you feel the music, it will move you. It'll affect you somehow and you will not be able to stand still. If you're "just standing there", then you're not feeling the music. In my opinion, that's what people want to see. They want to see the artists enjoying themselves and feeling it. That's why smashing guitars used to be cool. ...That's also why smashing guitars isn't cool anymore. Because everyone's done it and it's no longer a spontaneous emotional thing.

That's my opinion, at least.
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
Movement is what a frontman is for imo, guitarwise i'd always concentrate more on getting it right than weather or not a i can pull a backflip off the drum riser.

If your frontman is worth his weight then really the rest of your band could be inactive as you like and it would still be a good show so long as the music sounds good and you enjoy playing it.
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
Quote by opc100
i jump about a lot, coz our drummer's always goin on about stage presence. and then has a big moan because we jump around too much, it's pathetic. i've always jumped about when i play because it makes me feel most comfortable.

lol i've been sigged its true tough

I just walk around alot and jump i slash arm too (you know punky)
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
Last edited by SquierLolz at Apr 12, 2008,
I love playing guitar, but I don't have a lot, or any, emotion when I play. No guitar face, no wild movement, I just kind of stand there and play.

I guess what you can do is pretend to have emotion and get really into. Best thing to do is move your mouth with the bends and wah. it's real funny.
Quote by tommyt
Movement is what a frontman is for imo, guitarwise i'd always concentrate more on getting it right than weather or not a i can pull a backflip off the drum riser.

If your frontman is worth his weight then really the rest of your band could be inactive as you like and it would still be a good show so long as the music sounds good and you enjoy playing it.

+1 I'd go a step further and say if you're a good enough musician you dont have to do flips or areals or... divebombs

I smile when I play by the way (there isnt a rule against that right?) and sometimes get a little head bob or involentary upper-body movements to the rythm of what im playing hahaha.
Why you reading this?
Quote by 742627000017
I use my thumb and my johnson

Quote by deanexplosion99
idk what the keys are for but the reason i think its for the floyd rose is because its called floyd rose double locking

Quote by niggafolife
i iz hurr tuh spek da troof abowt muzik
Last edited by plucky duck at Apr 12, 2008,
I just have a foot tap to keep rhythm and a head bob to be cool.
Fender Strat
Genz.Benz Black Pearl 1x12
I stand straight up and down, and do the "around the world" with my head.

And tap my foot.
I just kinda rock back and forth. I was jamming with a friend once and he was like
"Dude, you're humping your guitar, you know that right?"
Keeping it real since '92
^^ Bahaa, that happens to me.

I play guitar the same way I play violin, only on guitar, it looks like a soulful pelvic thrust.

Doesn't help either that my guitar face looks pissy. In essence, I look like a soulfully angered dude having air sex.
head banging isn't emotion. It's baby shaking syndrome.

Anyway, when you play in front of people you usually get a more emotional feel, atleast for me I do.

Just let the notes etc. just feel them. As if they're coming from your insides.
I wish I could do those Jimmy Page leg dances from back in the day... I thought they were hilarious... he is still amazing though
"You've got to trust your instinct
And let go of regret
You've got to bet on yourself now star
'Cause that's your best bet" - 311
When i improvise i allways close my eyes, can't stop it. I i do it onstage i'm most likely to step on a cable and make a faceplant.