First of all, let me say this is in no way intended to be racist or anything else. Its just an honest question about US citizens in general.

Is it me or does almost every american talk about how great their country is, how its the country of liberty and justice and how they wouldnt want to live anywhere else? This seems strange to me, with so many examples of gross injustice performed by America. From the obvious (iraq) to to blatent inferiority such as no national health service (illness + no money = f ucked). I also hear a lot about how America "fought successfully for its independence, blah blah blah..." when it never actually beat the British in a single battle in the war of independence. The Spanish and French did.
And i could go on but it seems (to me) pretty obvious that American really aint all that.
Remember, this isn't my attempt at back-handed racism or anything ridiculous like that but, being english, i want to know what all the fuss is about. Don't give me any crazy propaganda, just tell me why America is loved in America, but (often) loathed almost anywhere else.

EDIT: just to clarify, im not sayin that britain is awesome or anythin and i know everywhere has its problems. Im also not sayin theres anythin wrong with a little patriotism, but there seems to be a lot more in the US than anywhere else.
Quote by horloko
Yeah I've been told that. I foretell the future in my doodling. I kept drawing me raping my Spanish teacher. Stupid teacher got scared and told on me. I raped her for that.

Quote by caskettheclown
i have a huge schlong.

there you go.

i win
Last edited by joeyj123 at Apr 11, 2008,
There are problems everywhere, not just the US.

I really don't know why people hate americans. We're kinda off to ourselves and don't really know what going on and are kind of ignorant maybe?

Or possibly just jealous?
because everyone loves their own country

britain aint exactly all that, everywhere has its flaws but people still love it because, its theirs

,--.-'-,--.
\ /-~-\ /
/ )' a a `( \
( ( ,---. ) )
THIS WAS MEANT TO BE A PIG
\ `(_o_o_)' /
\ `-' /
| |---| |
[_] [_]
What's with your face?

edit: I actually took the time to read your post. You might want to consider... being smarter.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Having pride in where you live is bad how?
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
well, its been much the same with every large country, and its pretty simple...every other country doesn't like admitting that another country has, or could have power over them...Our british empire was just the same...other countries just didn't like having to submit, and have other countries play the bully over what they did and in some aspects, having control because there is no denying that america is the current world superpower, and theyre proud of that, and we all loathe the fact that its not us in their position...
I've never found this with American's.

In my life I've spend 9 weeks in Wilmington DE, Philadelphia, Washington, Baltimore and everyone I met seemed to be in awe of me living in England, though I suppose it's the initial curiosity...

I love America..I must say, I've never felt so at home when I'm not at home as I did when I was in Wilmington.
Quote by joeyj123
when it never actually beat the British in a single battle in the war of independence. The Spanish and French did.

BS. I learn this in Canadian schools: They joined the war AFTER Washington turned things around and started winning.
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.
Quote by Vagabond21
There are problems everywhere, not just the US.

I really don't know why people hate americans. We're kinda off to ourselves and don't really know what going on and are kind of ignorant maybe?

Or possibly just jealous?

Yea, I know that in England anyways people have this impression of Americans who see the world as having two countries: America and Anywhere Else.
Obviously this isnt gonna be all true.
Quote by horloko
Yeah I've been told that. I foretell the future in my doodling. I kept drawing me raping my Spanish teacher. Stupid teacher got scared and told on me. I raped her for that.

Quote by caskettheclown
i have a huge schlong.

there you go.

i win
Quote by joeyj123
I also hear a lot about how America "fought successfully for its independence, blah blah blah..." when it never actually beat the British in a single battle in the war of independence. The Spanish and French did.

What?
It's called being patriotic.

Also, you should realize that when we went to war with Iraq, it wasn't a unanimous decision made by every person living in the US, only the politicians, really.

Our country does represent a lot of good things, and just because our current president isn't following the Constitution doesn't mean you should instantly blame our country as a whole.

These stereotypes are based on what you hear and see in the news. Due to the war, sadly, a lot of Americans look poorly upon the Middle East, despite it's only a small sect of insurgents that are actually against us.

Oh, and Americans aren't considered a different race. Thought I'd clear that up as well.
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
This is the funniest thing i've ever read on UG.
lespaulrocks39, you sir are awesome.
Last edited by lespaulrocks39 at Apr 11, 2008,
I live in America and Wish I didn't :S
Quote by RazorbackDevil
This man is cool in my book. He apparently likes boobs as much as me.
Quote by cerveza
as does that one.
+1
Quote by .Will.
+100
Quote by Lamrick21
yeah ill +1 that one.

i smell a hate thread brewing!
Quote by Mongoose87
BS. I learn this in Canadian schools: They joined the war AFTER Washington turned things around and started winning.

yeah exactly. it would have been a political nightmare for them to ally with the colonies and then lose. they had to be as sure as possible of the england's defeat.

Anyway, i never hear anyone (especially my age) talk about how great our country is. It's a common stereotype. Do I love my country? Yes. That's a good thing. Why don't you find something in your own country to complain about?

Also, you should realize that when we went to war with Iraq, it wasn't a unanimous decision made by every person living in the US, only the politicians, really.

Yeah. The UN should have done something long before we did anyway.
1. I love America
2. I don't want to live anywhere else
3. States(at least California) do have subsidized health care.
Quote by Kensai
What's with your face?

edit: I actually took the time to read your post. You might want to consider... being smarter.

+1

TS no one could take a single sentence of your post as even remotely credible, or as a product of any true education, study, or research at all. Forget everything you expressed in this thread. Wait 5 or 10 years until you actually have some clue about the world you live in, as opposed to the one built around unfounded 'propaganda,' as you accused of others, that is very evident in your words.
We're only strays.
Quote by lespaulrocks39

Our country does represent a lot of good things, and just because our current president isn't following the Constitution doesn't mean you should instantly blame our country as a whole.

Oh, and Americans aren't considered a different race. Thought I'd clear that up as well.

I'm definitely not blaming America as a whole. And by race i mean of a different upbringing/background. America is a melting pot of different ethnicities, i dont mean to generalise people at all.
Quote by horloko

Quote by caskettheclown
i have a huge schlong.

there you go.

i win
Quote by joeyj123
Yea, I know that in England anyways people have this impression of Americans who see the world as having two countries: America and Anywhere Else.
Obviously this isnt gonna be all true.

This speaks more to the stupid impression the English have of Americans than to the actual mindset of most americans.

Have you ever actually met an American that thought like that?
Sir Winston Churchill said this: "A good way to measure a country is to take a look at who wants in and who wants out." Now, it may be very hip and cool to be anti-American these days, but that being so, I know several hundred million people who are dying to be so very uncool that they would risk life and limb to come here from whatever corner of the globe that they're from.

Also, your perception of American health-care isn't entirely correct. I work in an Emergency Dept. in New Jersey, and we see the impoverished, the uninsured, the immigrant population, the most down-and-out people. Various systems of charity care do indeed exist. The US healthcare system does indeed have its problems, but nowhere in the US constitution (or any other governing document) is healthcare listed as a "right". The old adage goes "if a man does not work, a man does not eat", and if we cannot guarantee that every man eats, we certainly cannot guarantee that every man gets healthcare, especially in a nation of over 300 million-plus people.
Quote by BRISTOL86
I've never found this with American's.

In my life I've spend 9 weeks in Wilmington DE, Philadelphia, Washington, Baltimore and everyone I met seemed to be in awe of me living in England, though I suppose it's the initial curiosity...

I love America..I must say, I've never felt so at home when I'm not at home as I did when I was in Wilmington.

I can't believe this. A UKer that has actually BEEN to America and then formed an opinion about it.

Am I still on UG? *looks around*
We're only strays.
i kinda agree with what you're saying, the US as a whole is definately over-patriotic, i don't wanna be hated or anything, but Canada is kinda like a better (as in less violent more "user-friendly" kinda thing) than teh US, and we don't go crazy over ourselves, and i'm pretty sure wwe were voted number 1 country to live in for a long time now, thats just my little rant/ opinion though

but in general the US is a pretty kool place
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
Quote by lespaulrocks39

These stereotypes are based on what you hear and see in the news. Due to the war, sadly, a lot of Americans look poorly upon the Middle East, despite it's only a small sect of insurgents that are actually against us.

All of this post, especially the last statement, is win.
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
+1

TS no one could take a single sentence of your post as even remotely credible, or as a product of any true education, study, or research at all. Forget everything you expressed in this thread. Wait 5 or 10 years until you actually have some clue about the world you live in, as opposed to the one built around unfounded 'propaganda,' as you accused of others, that is very evident in your words.

suck up
SLAP
First of all, let me say this is in no way intended to be racist or anything else. Its just an honest question about US citizens in general.

Is it me or does almost every american talk about how great their country is, how its the country of liberty and justice and how they wouldnt want to live anywhere else? This seems strange to me, with so many examples of gross injustice performed by America. From the obvious (iraq) to to blatent inferiority such as no national health service (illness + no money = f ucked). I also hear a lot about how America "fought successfully for its independence, blah blah blah..." when it never actually beat the British in a single battle in the war of independence. The Spanish and French did.
And i could go on but it seems (to me) pretty obvious that American really aint all that.
Remember, this isn't my attempt at back-handed racism or anything ridiculous like that but, being english, i want to know what all the fuss is about. Don't give me any crazy propaganda, just tell me why America is loved in America, but (often) loathed almost anywhere else.

EDIT: just to clarify, im not sayin that britain is awesome or anythin and i know everywhere has its problems. Im also not sayin theres anythin wrong with a little patriotism, but there seems to be a lot more in the US than anywhere else.

I think that us europeans have to understand that america has a completely different culture to us.I personally think that americans are rather inward looking.I dont think it has stemmed from ignorance burt rather the way there society has evolved.For example I was living in america for a while over the summer and the news stations seemed to only cover the news relating to america if not there state.
multicolour random messge!

FAC 13
"The hacienda must be rebuilt"
your view on health care is way off, i'm not even getting into that.....also, i dont think it's abnormal to want to stay in the country you've lived in your entire life.....you get used to food, sports, music, driving, culture, blah, blah, blah....also, last time i checked our issue is that too many people are coming here, not too many people leaving.
America is ok...i'd like to try somewhere else (like the UK) I do wholeheartedly love living in the city though
i play drums and guitar :
The American government is so corrupt.. I suggest every single one of you watch Alex Jones "End Game"(it's on Google video). Pretty much provides the government's blue print for global enslavement, and concentration camps.. Betcha' most of you didn't know there are thousands just within North America. For those of you who so naive to completely close your mind to this.. Well, I dunno what to tell you. All we can do to have any hope to put an end to this is to inform, and educate, although, with knowledge comes responsibility. Our sovereignty is being sold AS WE SPEAK..
Quote by Zex.
The American government is so corrupt.. I suggest every single one of you watch Alex Jones "End Game"(it's on Google video). Pretty much provides the government's blue print for global enslavement, and concentration camps.. Betcha' most of you didn't know there are thousands just within North America. For those of you who so naive to completely close your mind to this.. Well, I dunno what to tell you. All we can do to have any hope to put an end to this is to inform, and educate, although, with knowledge comes responsibility. Our sovereignty is being sold AS WE SPEAK..

Cool.
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by joeyj123
I'm definitely not blaming America as a whole. And by race i mean of a different upbringing/background. America is a melting pot of different ethnicities, i dont mean to generalise people at all.

Quote by joeyj123

Is it me or does almost every american talk about how great their country is, how its the country of liberty and justice and how they wouldnt want to live anywhere else?

Sounds like a generalization to me.

Just because our foreign policy is unfavorable to most of the world, doesn't mean "every American" should loathe being a citizen.
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
This is the funniest thing i've ever read on UG.
lespaulrocks39, you sir are awesome.
The Americans beat the British with French help. To say the Americans never beat the British in a single battle is very ignorant. Kind of like how the British and other Allied forces defeated the Axis powers of WWII with American help. It's not a big deal... at all. I'll tell you this though, all this pro-American **** was never too big of an issue before 9/11/01. That has a lot to do with it... still.

I'm an American, and I like it here. I have a passport and travel a lot. I've been to the UK and liked it there too. Why all the hate?