These days are being called the Age of Information, or something along those lines. Unfortunately, I think waaaaay too many people aren't quite ready for all of this info. How many countless people do you see, here on UG alone, that are talking about something they think they've been enlightened about, but which is actually just another goofy internet video?

Loose Change or Zeitgeist, for example. All a person has to do is stumble across one of these or other such videos, and they instantly believe it. Plus you have all of the websites that have "news" or blogs about current events. Its like people think that if they have a URL to something, it's proven. Unfortunately the internet isn't in the form of a magazine rack by a check out aisle, and the ridiculous, unfounded claims or stories are not posted in black and white over a graphic of an alligator with a baby's head (if you don't get the reference, I'm talking about tabloids - now suffering in sales as the internet grows, I'm sure).

Ofcourse I'm sure there is some credible information online. Probably a lot. Interestingly, though, I'm starting to think that it only comes from other individual web users, as opposed to websites and online enterprises that thrive off of hits - and will post any amount of sensational, unbelievable yet somehow widely believed garbage.

So theres a lot of information to be had via internet, but not enough people are capable of such critical thinking as to do their own research, or even read through the lines of a blog. Its like an extremely hungry dog bent over his bowl eating whatever leftovers are put in, and never noticing the hand feeding him or what its attached to. He just keeps eating and then goes out on the lawn - or in our case, UG - and leaves giant steamy piles of sh*t.

Thoughts?
We're only strays.
Are you saying Zeitgeist/ Loose Change isnt real? Im not saying it is, but you dont have any proof either. Believing what you are saying now would be exactly what youre saying is wrong.

ZOMG PARADOX

EDIT(to person below me): Yes, but according to TS we shouldnt believe it because anything on the internet could be full of LIES! Just like ANY form of Media...
Last edited by captainjackass at Apr 11, 2008,
Quote by justnmcknz
http://www.lolloosechange.co.nr/

This site completely debunks everything loose change had to offer...

But what makes you sure that's any more reliable than Loose Change?
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
It's amazing to me how there can be so much ignorance with all the knowledge available.
Quote by DrLoveFuzz
I'd rather listen to my parents having sex than LCD Soundsystem.
Quote by captainjackass
Are you saying Zeitgeist/ Loose Change isnt real? Im not saying it is, but you dont have any proof either. Believing what you are saying now would be exactly what youre saying is wrong.

ZOMG PARADOX

What? No? I'M saying what I'm saying now, thats what makes it different lol. And I never said those weren't real, thats not the issue I'm addressing. I'm pointing out how easily people believe anything they watch on Youtube, where ANYONE with an internet connection can post anything. Or how websites have no interest in the truth, or important problems, but only more hits. But people still believe them because they don't realize that.

DO NOT turn this into an argument about weather this or that video is real or not. I'll delete this thread if that happens.
We're only strays.
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
What? No? I'M saying what I'm saying now, thats what makes it different lol. And I never said those weren't real, thats not the issue I'm addressing. I'm pointing out how easily people believe anything they watch on Youtube, where ANYONE with an internet connection can post anything. Or how websites have no interest in the truth, or important problems, but only more hits. But people still believe them because they don't realize that.

DO NOT turn this into an argument about weather this or that video is real or not. I'll delete this thread if that happens.

Fair Enough. But wheres your proof for people believing anything they see/hear/watch on the internet?
Popular Mechanics gathered a team of experts and debunked Loose Change. You can read it here. I've also heard a lot of different people saying that Zeitgeist made things up, but I don't really care enough to make sure.

Either way, you're right. I would go as far to say that since the "age of information" began, people in general have become dumber. We have so much information open to us, but most people tend to just go for what's entertaining.

EDIT: Sorry, you added the "don't continue the video discussion" thing after I posted this.
The internet is a tool.

Unfortunately most of the people using it are basically trying to use a wrench as a hammer...

Or a circular saw as a toothbrush.

Use it right and it can do a lot for you.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Quote by captainjackass

Well, A LOT of Loose Change is bullshit. There are some nice points and whatnot, it's not ALL ridiculous, but it's not that great of a video.

I mean, it said the Empire State Building was hit by a B-52.....-_-

Yes, it was hit by a plane, but this was in the 40s or 50s when it happened, B-52s didn't even exist.

Though, THIS is the most believable video I have ever seen in my life.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Quote by Bubonic Chronic

Or a circular saw as a toothbrush.

Use it right and it can do a lot for you.

People, listen to this man, or have your gums cut off.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT