Hey UG, I have a certian issue with my guitar atm, kinda like a fret buzz thing, and bascially, it's driving me mad. I've been practicing this riff; It seems to be only on this riff or with chords down that end (like frets 9-14), and sometimes randomly on like 2 etc :S.

d-9-9-9-9-9-7--------------------------9-9-9-9-9-7---------------------
a-7-7-7-7-7-5-7-8-7---5-7-5-2-2-2-7-7-7-7-7-5-7-8-7---5-7-5-2-2-2-
e-----------------5-6-5-0-3-5-3-0-0-0----------------5-6-5-0-3-5-3-0-0-0-

from RATM's Bullet in the Head if anyone was wondering, and I keep getting this like fret buzz sound on every part of the tab (except from the open E part).

I've looked at the fret buzz topic here on UG and I searched google for some other soultions such as lowering action etc, I did this and I got the sound abit better for a little while (I think) ,but then just went back to it's old way. The problem occurs only on the Low E, A, D, and G strings but I want to fix the top 3 the most for now due to commenly using them.

A little history bout the guitar, I've had it for around 5/6 years leaning up against a wall ( I know, bad move :S ) and quit pretty soon after I got it, Now I've recently started again for around 2 months max I think, with the majority of the time the high 'e' string was missing and then shortly after, the 'B' string as well (and still is, it's a long story) but I don't think this would have affected the neck too badly, I hope.

It's not a great guitar (why would it be if I was just starting out?) so I'm not sure what bridge it has or anything, Yamaha erg 121c, came with an amp but don't think you need to know about that, well to sum this post up, What should I do? Is my guitar neck/neck fitting perm damaged from leaning it against a wall for years? Is it my technique? or anything else?

well thanks for reading (It's a bit of an essay :$) and I hope you have some feedback for me.

EDIT: some other info, stock gauge strings are on (I'm guessing 9-46) I use a 1mm pick and RARLEY a 3mm pick. ( I've heard sometimes pick sizes affect tone/sound w/e ).
Your friendship is a fog, that disappears when the wind re-directs (YEAH!)
Check the neck curvature.

The reason why you get more buzz when doing chords is because you hit the strings harder than when you pick them. If the neck curvature does not need to be adjusted, then you'll either need to raise the action, or strum more lightly, and decide how much buzz is acceptable for you.
Thanks for your response, Quick question tho, how do I know if the neck curvature needs to be adjusted or not? The neck looks straight to me but it's hard to tell...
My guitar has buzz all over the fretboard (then again my strings are 2mm from the frets at the highest point) but it doesn't make any difference when plugged into an amp. The buzz simply doesn't affect anything so I don't bother trying to fix it.
Quote by Sóul Pówer
Thanks for your response, Quick question tho, how do I know if the neck curvature needs to be adjusted or not? The neck looks straight to me but it's hard to tell...

If you hold down on the first and the last frets at the same time, you're supposed to have a (very) small gap between the string and the eight fret.
Ok Thanks millan, theres around 1mm space between 8th on the low E (and around 3 or 4mm space from the string to the atcual fretboard, not the fret wire), So I assume this is correct then yes?,

also just something else to the riff is ment to be fast, so you basically have to slide across the fretboard which must cause a little buzz that cannot be avoided when sliding over fret wire?

@Daveynator - even tho u are plugged into your amp surley u can still hear fretbuzz coming from your guitar (not your amp) ?
Last edited by Sóul Pówer at Apr 12, 2008,