Page 1 of 2
Hi there!
In the begining of this summer i am going to London with my family, and because Marshall is cheaper there than here in Sweden i thought i could buy one there.
I am only looking for a head, i am going to buy the cabinet later in Sweden.
I like Jimi Hendrix, Ac/dc Zakk wylde, Guns n roses, Red hot chili peppers, U2 and Nirvana.
Please help me!
And if i get a 50 watt head, can i still use 2 cabinets?
I am kinda new to amps and stuff like that.
And i also wonder what cabinet i should buy, later.

Rock on
// Martin
Last edited by Denkath at Apr 11, 2008,
most heads start at 100 watts usually and you can use two cabinets. i'd say go for a marshall JCM range head. their good sounding, very simple to use, and you dont really need to many effects pedals.
Last edited by Engel22 at Apr 11, 2008,
Stay clear of both the MG & AVT series of amp, do a search on this forum for many, many answers why they are soo bad! The Mode four is a very specific sound and overpriced so i'd really try before you buy. The TSL series is very good as is the DSL series although many believe it doesn't encapsulate the definative marshall tone in the modern versions. The JVM is pricey althought it has versitality but the tone is questionable as 'special'. Then you move into the Vintage/Vintage modern & Handwired series! Now i've played the handwired 2061X head with the corosponding cab! and it was very good although i haven't really had much experiences with origional marshalls the latter three series sound really good. Anyway there is my addition to this thread.

Don't set your heart on something though as inevitably you may change your mind when you play them. Take alook at orange amps as they are more marshall than marshall these days.

Regards,
Mad
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
+1 for the Oranges. <----- got one. Had 2 Marshalls before and they are JOKES compared to Orange.

but.... 2 Cab's?. You planning on playing Wembley Stadium or something?
96 Gibson Les Paul Goldtop
95 Strat w/ Lindy Fralins
Ibanez JS1000
Orange AD30HTC
Vox AC30
Blue Alnico Cab
Budda Wah
Barber Tone Press
Keeley NOVA Wah
Pederson Strobo
Keeley TS-808
HBE Chorus
T-Rex Delay
Red Witch Moon Phase
Orange rockerverb50!
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Madsalty explained well. I'll just add that the VM's are great and the DSL50 or 100 are also awesome. For the $ the DSL is a great option and has great clean channel for a Marshall and also effects loop.
Quote by damnedone
Madsalty explained well. I'll just add that the VM's are great and the DSL50 or 100 are also awesome. For the $ the DSL is a great option and has great clean channel for a Marshall and also effects loop.

Thankyou, I'll concur the DSL is the best value option.

Seriously though look at Orange's genuinely british voiced amps, real vintage tone. I like the Orange Rocker 30 head + Orange 2*12 cab < offers genuine vintage 'british/marshall' tone, ample volume and far more portability than any of the other options excusing combo's.

Forgot to ask, Why do you need a fullstack, because there are next to no benefits especially very little difference in tone?
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Last edited by Madsalty at Apr 11, 2008,
+1 to the vintage moderns
i got one and love it, ive seen in some threads on here some people have been saying they arnt any good but im glad to see that im not the only one that disagrees them.
Quote by gatechballer
SoLgEr is the ****ing man!!!!!
if you want marshall also look into ceriatone Plexi's and JCM800s they make Marshall better than marshall makes marshalls lol
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks
if you want marshall also look into ceriatone Plexi's and JCM800s they make Marshall better than marshall makes marshalls lol

Dream on.

To the TS, for that type of music look into JCM 800 (new or used).
Quote by laurens666
Dream on.

You could argue that for the classic Marshall sound, a Ceriatone Plexi/JCM 800 would be better than any current production Marshall. Of course, old JCM 800's and whatnot are great. Some people just don't like the newer Marshalls at all.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by Fama
You could argue that for the classic Marshall sound, a Ceriatone Plexi/JCM 800 would be better than any current production Marshall. Of course, old JCM 800's and whatnot are great. Some people just don't like the newer Marshalls at all.

yah the Older JCM800s and plexi are waaaayyy better than anything nowdays made by marshall.

but most marshall nowdays cost to much or arn't any good
Quote by gregs1020
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by laurens666
Dream on.

Your a failure. When is the last time you got a NEW handwired Marshall?

Oh, that's right, NEVER!

Ceriatones are built much better than a Marshall could ever dream about. Once Jim sold the company to Korg, the whole Marshall brand name quality started to suck.

Now, this is craftsmanship.

Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
Quote by FLCLcowdude

Oh, that's right, NEVER!

Ceriatones are built much better than a Marshall could ever dream about. Once Jim sold the company to Korg, the whole Marshall brand name quality started to suck.

Now, this is craftsmanship.

Thank you FLCL
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks
Thank you FLCL

Your welcome!

I had to set that man straight.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
Quote by FLCLcowdude
Your welcome!

I had to set that man straight.

Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Yeah, I am waiting for the day Marshalls start being made in china.
Quote by thrilla13w

Quote by Slaytanic1993
Quote by FLCLcowdude
Yeah, I am waiting for the day Marshalls start being made in china.

+1 it's just a matter of time
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Last edited by Bostonrocks at Apr 12, 2008,
my vote is for the 1987xl 50W plexi head. most of the bands you listed have some relation to this amp, especially jimi. he basically used a louder version of one.
You sure you want 50 watts? That's really loud. Especially if you want crunch out of the older, non-master volume amps.

If you're really set on 50 watts, I say get the 50 watt JCM 800 or a 1987x.

What I recommend is getting a JTM 45.

It's 30 watts and you'll be able to get great crunch at lower volumes.

Swap out the KT66 valves and get it biased for KT77 valves and it's like instant Clapton.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Why do you need a Marshall? There are many other good British amps that have the classic Brit crunch apart from Marshalls. And why does it need to be a stack? Unless you're playing gigs in arenas you don't need a halfstack unless you're getting a plexi, since they don't have a plexi combo.

I'd get an Orange Rocker 30 or something similar. That would probably suit you better. People who need/have good use for amps like you're looking for are not new to amps.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
Quote by thankyougermany
Why do you need a Marshall? There are many other good British amps that have the classic Brit crunch apart from Marshalls. And why does it need to be a stack? Unless you're playing gigs in arenas you don't need a halfstack unless you're getting a plexi, since they don't have a plexi combo.

I'd get an Orange Rocker 30 or something similar. That would probably suit you better. People who need/have good use for amps like you're looking for are not new to amps.

Yeah they do. The Marshall Bluesbreaker is a JTM 45 in a combo.

While Oranges are EXCELLENT amps, they still don't quite sound like Marshalls. They lack that mid range hump that Marshalls are known for and can be a bit dark sounding and fizzy on the gain side. It's not a big difference, but it's different enough for me to be picky about it. They sound bloody close though.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

While Oranges are EXCELLENT amps, they still don't quite sound like Marshalls. They lack that mid range hump that Marshalls are known for and can be a bit dark sounding and fizzy on the gain side. It's not a big difference, but it's different enough for me to be picky about it. They sound bloody close though.

I stand corrected about the JTM45. I wish they made a Superlead combo
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

A vintage 30 cab with an orange would fix that.
Quote by thankyougermany
I stand corrected about the JTM45. I wish they made a Superlead combo

Well they make a JCM 800 combo. Marshall has also made a combo version of the Mark II 50 watt plexi. The JMP 50 combo.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by FLCLcowdude

Oh, that's right, NEVER!

You are such a juvenile dumbass for this uncalled behaviour and making such general statements without back up. It is about tone. Who gives a sh*t if you show me a circuit board which is hand wired or whatever. I don't give a flying f*ck how it is built as long as it works. I have never experienced a faulty circuit board with old or new Marshalls. You can argue about price, but Marshalls work well and I happen to like their sound. Why buy a clone when you can have the original? Also the trade in value of that clone won't be much. BTW, Ceriatione also sells them as kits. Good luck with your quality when some noob has put them togther and you bought it second hand.
Last edited by laurens666 at Apr 13, 2008,
Quote by laurens666
You are such a juvenile dumbass for this uncalled behaviour and making such general statements without back up. It is about tone. Who gives a sh*t if you show me a circuit board which is hand wired or whatever. I don't give a flying f*ck how it is built as long as it works. I have never experienced a faulty circuit board with old or new Marshalls. You can argue about price, but Marshalls work well and I happen to like their sound. Why buy a clone when you can have the original? Also the trade in value of that clone won't be much. BTW, Ceriatione also sells them as kits. Good luck with your quality when some noob has put them togther and you bought it second hand.

Well put, well put
New Marshalls rocks! I've played several Old AND New Marshall and I like them all
I don't give a **** about no circuit board or whatever, I play my Marshall and I like it.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Quote by laurens666

Your right, it is about tone! That is why a hardwired circuit introduces less crap into the signal, and much less noise. I would buy a clone, because it does work better than the original. And, don't tell me that the trade in value on a Marshall is any good at all. I traded in a BRAND NEW Marshall JVM410 head for 900 bucks because that is the max I could get for it! I even had it in the box. So, you sir need to make sure that you back up your facts before posting slanderous comments about me. I don't much appreciate it.
Quote by thrilla13w

Quote by Slaytanic1993
I am thinking about a vintage modern, it seems kinda cool. Is it a good amp?
Quote by Denkath

Not really.

It either has too much gain, or not enough gain for certain genres and is either fizzy or muddy when you mess with the body and details knobs. It requires too much tweaking to get a great tone and when you do find it, it still sounds a bit 'meh'

At least, that was my impression when I went out and tried it.

I ended up buying a Laney instead.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by Denkath

I've heard it's awesome.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
just curious whats your price range
you gotta get a head. mine was really expensive (Diezel Herbert baby)
and my cabs cost alot too. I spent 1450 +tax just on my cabs http://www.vadercabinets.com/index.html best ever i got the 4x12 and 2x15
The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised
-George Will

Also caught her playing fallout boy on my guitar, changed my strings and cleaned it the next day.
Quote by FLCLcowdude
Your right, it is about tone! That is why a hardwired circuit introduces less crap into the signal, and much less noise. I would buy a clone, because it does work better than the original. And, don't tell me that the trade in value on a Marshall is any good at all. I traded in a BRAND NEW Marshall JVM410 head for 900 bucks because that is the max I could get for it! I even had it in the box. So, you sir need to make sure that you back up your facts before posting slanderous comments about me. I don't much appreciate it.

900 dollar for a JVM 410 is a steal. For that money I would buy it blind. The trade in value in europe is much higher. Fact still remains that a clone won't retain its trade in value (in europe, that is). And BTW if you say there is a difference in noise, better check your cables.
Quote by laurens666
900 dollar for a JVM 410 is a steal. For that money I would buy it blind. The trade in value in europe is much higher. Fact still remains that a clone won't retain its trade in value (in europe, that is). And BTW if you say there is a difference in noise, better check your cables.

But the Ceriatone JCM or Plexi is still a 10x better amp then what marshalls making to day.
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Quote by laurens666

Hey, sorry for butting in but I thought I'd add something.

When I choose amps and what not, I choose them for sound, not for resale value. Ceriatone has been known to make great clones of amplifiers. They use most of the original componants in their amps to replicate the earlier Marshall amps.

When Marshall reissues, they don't use correct transformers nor do they use the right valves sometimes!

The damn Bluesbreaker doesn't have KT77s for christ sake!
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Hey, sorry for butting in but I thought I'd add something.

When I choose amps and what not, I choose them for sound, not for resale value. Ceriatone has been known to make great clones of amplifiers. They use most of the original componants in their amps to replicate the earlier Marshall amps.

When Marshall reissues, they don't use correct transformers nor do they use the right valves sometimes!

The damn Bluesbreaker doesn't have KT77s for christ sake!

are you serious? It doesn't have KT77s? wow........

btw they make a 18w plexi combo also at ceriatone.
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Quote by Hultan

Putting words in my mouth are we? Did I SAY it sounds bad?
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
^Nah you didn't, sorry for that.
It's just that there are so many people complaining about the reissues when they haven't even heard them, the Bluesbreaker (atleast) is awesome.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Page 1 of 2