I've been playing electric guitar for a few years and recently got an acoustic. I'm starting to teach myself to play piano and I'm interested in the idea of bass guitar. So first, does the same music theory I've learned on the guitar (like chord construction, circle of fifths) apply to other instruments? And any suggestions for instruments I might want to learn?
Play the music, not the instrument. ~Author Unknown

blackzeppelion
Who's the band that could become the next led zeppelin?
Ovenman
Iron blimp.
J.A.M
Aluminum helicopter.
Ovenman
*Breaks out periodic table* Magnesium bi-plane.
yes it applies!, i play drums, keys, guitar, violin and bass and im just 16
Ivan!

Proghead+Metalhead= ME

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

URL=http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ar gentina
Anything you want to learn. The more instruments you play the better at other instruments you'll be.
Unfortunately I can't play the drums (no space/too much noise). That's where I got the idea of bass guitar - it's rhythmic and I already have the knowledge of guitars.

blackzeppelion
Ovenman
Iron blimp.
J.A.M
Aluminum helicopter.
Ovenman
Yeah man. I've been playing the electric for about 3 years now, and I've just picked up the classical a few months ago. Playing electric helped with playing cleanly on the classical, and likewise for the electric. I'm about to pick up the bass, and dust off my old keyboard. But to answer your question, like said before, theory is universal. Applies everywhere. Except drums. Cause, you know, they don't really have notes...

You should learn the mandolin and the banjo that's what I'm gonna do, sooner or later
My gear:
Schecter C-1+ w/ Seymour duncan Jazz (neck) and Full Shred (bridge), with Sperzels
B-52 LG-100A 4x12 half stack
Rogue LX405 Bass
Yamaha classical
Some sort of acoustic Squier
Boss Flanger
Lyon Chorus
Drums has its own notes, so that'll be something new you'll have to learn of you want to pick it up, but generally, they're easy and quick to learn.

Yamaha RBX A2
Ampeg BA600-115 1 x 15 Bass Combo
Try learning an instrument that doesnt have frets or isnt similar to a guitar at all.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
there is nothing more satisfying than blasting out a massive improvised jazz solo on a saxophone with an 8 piece jazz band. well in my books anyway...
HADOUKEN!! Click For UG's Street Fighter Group

Quote by synpet713192

I'd never seen you around until very recently, but this and the other pic have caused me to worship you
I'd try the piano. Get a teacher to guide you through the steps and work hard at applying the theory you know. You'll progress fast mate.
Quote by SchecterC-1+Man

You should learn the mandolin and the banjo that's what I'm gonna do, sooner or later

Ooh, the mandolin is a good idea. I wanted to learn something sort of fiddle-y, but not go so far as violin, so that sounds excellent.

So I've decided on guitar, piano, bass, probably mandolin and possibly ocarina. Thanks for all your help everyone.

blackzeppelion
Ovenman
Iron blimp.
J.A.M
Aluminum helicopter.
Ovenman
I play guitar, bass, piano, ukulele, and as of recently, sax, and I just need to say that learning multiple instruments is a great great great great great idea. Each helps with the others. Enjoy.
Play a transposing instrument, you've learned all concert pitch instruments....Learn how to read music on both.....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
Play a transposing instrument, you've learned all concert pitch instruments....Learn how to read music on both.....
Yeah, great idea actually. Learn ideally one of each, maybe alto sax(Eb), clarinet(Bb), and like...French Horn(F). If I had to pick I'd pick a Bb instrument and I have(tenor sax), and IMO F instruments are significantly less common.