View poll results: Which pedal:
DS-1 Distortion
5 28%
DS-2 TURBO Distortion
8 44%
Other (let me know which)
5 28%
Voters: 18.
I've been playing through a DS-1 for about a year, loved the pedal, but now it's broken so I need to replace it.

I went to the guitar shop today and tried out pretty much everything they had. My favourites were the Blues Driver and the DS-1 again (was using it to compare to other pedals), although the Blues Driver didn't have enough gain without being boosted, but I loved the character of the pedal anyway.

However, I've just checked online and there's a DS-2 which seems to be the same as the DS-1, except with a mid-booster setting, and TURBO in the name!!! Do you recommend me buying the Turbo Distortion (probably without being able to try it out first), or going for the DS-1 again?

If it helps, I play a Les Paul with stock pickups into a clean Spider 2 (on metal setting with gain turned down completely, seems to be the only good setting in the whole thing!). I play classic rock and 80's hair metal with loads of mid-range.

Cheerzzz
There are a ton of good sounds in that thing... why not just get the foot pedal for the amp and use it's modeling features.
I'd go for the DS2, the first mode is basically a DS1 and the second mode is nice to have. It's a good pedal for the money.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
wouldn't waste money on pedals with your amp. not because its a spider but ss amps dont go well with pedals.
Send me off to bed forevermore.
Quote by gibsonfirebird
There are a ton of good sounds in that thing... why not just get the foot pedal for the amp and use it's modeling features.

They just don't appeal to me as much as the DS-1 infront of it did. Some of them seem pretty dodgy as well with mine and the treble, mid and bass controls wouldn't make a significant enough difference for me to get a sound I wanted.

Quote by timi_hendrix
I'd go for the DS2, the first mode is basically a DS1 and the second mode is nice to have. It's a good pedal for the money.

Ahh, well if that's the case then I might as well get it. Most of the sound clips I've heard of it have been the kind of sound I like, although I listened to DS-1 clips as well to see if that sounded anything like mine through my gear and their's was way muddier and "scratchier" if that makes sense, so I don't know if the DS-2 would sound anything like in the clips when I bring it home. If that all makes sense.

Cheers for the votes for far, it's given me the reassurance that I needed in knowing that it's a good pedal without trying it, and knowing that there's nothing wrong with it.
Pedals goes well on SS on clean channel... I'd say go with DS-1 because the DS-2 with turbo isn't that much "gainier." DS-2 wouldn't give you a high gain 80's metal sound.
No man is your friend, no man is your enemy, but every man is your teacher.

When he asked for John Myung, John Myung said:"Who the hell is John Myung?"

Proud User of Ibanez, Korg, Rocktron, ENGL
I was under the impression that the DS-2 was just a DS-1 with one or two extra settings?

Didn't Cobain use a DS-1 then got a DS-2 but just left it on the DS-1 setting?
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
Quote by timi_hendrix
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrjwaqZfjIY

Pedals are fine with SS amps.

Hahaha, I was expecting some video of someone playing a pedal through a SS amp and sounding great and I see that instead, hohoho.

But yeah, I was fine with the gain level on the DS-1, just the Blues Driver didn't quite have enough for me to always use, i'd have to have it on full or with a volume booster infront of it a lot of the time. The DS-1 had more than enough gain for me, so I don't mind that.

Oh yeah, just incase it looks like I have only tried Boss pedals, I did try the 3 Marshall gain ones, the Ibanez Tubescreamer and all the MXR ones while I was there. It just so happened that the ones I liked were Boss.
Quote by timi_hendrix
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrjwaqZfjIY

Pedals are fine with SS amps.

....cough....hh.... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

I'd say go for the DS-2, it'll be similar in sound to your old pedal (actually, probably a little better if your DS-1 was relatively new) but with another setting to give you more tonal options. I use mode II most of the time on my DS-2.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp