Hello, I am looking for a good $200-500 combo amp. I'm just playing in my house so wattage (if that's a word) doesn't matter. I don't need fancy features like effects, but it's always nice to have them. I play any style from Lynyrd Skynyrd to Metallica so I need an amp that can handle anything from light rock to metal. Also, I'd prefer not to buy used amps. These are my top candidates so far:

Line 6 Spider III 75W
Fender Super Champ XD
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT 30W
Peavey Valveking 112

keeping track of the responses: (I only add your response if you give a definite yes for one single amp)
Spider III- 0
Super Champ- 0
Valvetronix- 1
Valveking- 2
other amps: 0

Any feedback on these or other suggestions will be much appreciated. Thank you for any help!
Last edited by Noob slayer at Apr 11, 2008,
Peavey. Of course, there's more options than what you have stated.
ValveKing. Most versatile amp in its price range without an OD pedal. getting one soon, and i like it alot.
I see you're lookin' at a Vox Valvetronix AD30VT? I have the same, but AD15VT. I played the 30 watt, sounded amazing. I own the 15 watt and absolutely love it. The range of inbuilt effects and amps makes the Valvetronix amps very versatile. I definitely reccomend it.
ಠ_ಠ WILL GIVE HEAD

Quote by Myxer
Have to give you props that the funniest post I read in a while
Quote by GogglesVK

hazardmaster has won this thread.

Fender Stratocaster 57' Reissue (Japanese)
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Quote by Noob slayer
Wow, valveking's taking an early lead.

Mainly because it's to0b.
Sorry, I got comfused because some people were saying the model and some people were saying the brand and I thought the peavey was the valveking when I posted that. My bad.
Lawl. NAO SPIDDAR. YOU CANNOT HANDEL TEH BR00TAL DIZTORTIONZ!

In actuality, no one can handle just how bad it is.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
The VK's massive overkill to just play around the house. You could have an amp more suitably sized, with enough power to jam if you need it, for a lot less money, if you go with the Crate V18: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-V-Series-V18112-18W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=487051&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=71342077

Maybe get an OD pedal to go with it.

If you're never leaving the house, you could even go with the 5W model: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-V-Series-V5-5W-1x10-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=487050

That's if you're sold on tube. Otherwise a Peavey Bandit or Roland Cube would be a good choice.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Yeah, I've heard a lot of good and a lot of bad about the spider so I'm not sure what to think.
I'll look into those Crate ones too. Thanks.
Quote by slatsmania
The VK's massive overkill to just play around the house. You could have an amp more suitably sized, with enough power to jam if you need it, for a lot less money, if you go with the Crate V18: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-V-Series-V18112-18W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=487051&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=71342077

Maybe get an OD pedal to go with it.

If you're never leaving the house, you could even go with the 5W model: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-V-Series-V5-5W-1x10-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=487050

That's if you're sold on tube. Otherwise a Peavey Bandit or Roland Cube would be a good choice.

I still think the Valveking is better because it can do metal no problem and can do clean, jjazz, blues, etc with no problem (might not be the best but it good enough for house playing). Yes it can be overkill only if you crank it but if you don't it still sound good in low volume and if you ever gig or jam it will be sufficient. But with the Crate its not going to be fun playing metal with, but might be better cleans and better than the valveking in non high gain area (but not significantly)
Jem 7dbk
Ibanez s540 custom
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez RG520
Ibanez Roadstar II RG410
Ibanez Destroyer II 80's
Schecter C-1 Blackjack
Gibson LP Studio Lite
Fender Start MIM
Kramer Sustainer
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Peavey XXX 40W
Vox DA5
Sorry to not directly answer your query, but in terms of what is overkill vs. what is not, I can at least give you my personal experience.

I got my HRD very fairly priced but found it way too loud (and the volume is touchy at low volumes - wrong taper pots), so I laid out about $100 for a power-reducing el84 swap kit. Its _better_, but still way too loud for my condo (and bedroom within.)

Still, I am happy with it. I find that it's looks are right in line with what I like and it sounds wonderful, espectially with the added grit of the tube swap. This is a 40W tube-signal path amp. I doubt anyone really needs more than this amount of power for at-home stuff.

I did read your post and realize that you want to play things like Metallica and such that this amp is not really geared for, so good luck and hopefully my rambling at least helps someone.

-Greg
Fender 60th Anniv MIM Strat (SD Little 59er Br)
Agile AL-2000 Rootbeer Flame (GFS Vtg '59)
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
GFS Chorus
DS-1
Yeah I'm mostly going to be playing at low volumes, but usually higher watt amps have more features.
Thanks for the help everyone!
Quote by angeldef
I still think the Valveking is better because it can do metal no problem and can do clean, jjazz, blues, etc with no problem (might not be the best but it good enough for house playing). Yes it can be overkill only if you crank it but if you don't it still sound good in low volume and if you ever gig or jam it will be sufficient. But with the Crate its not going to be fun playing metal with, but might be better cleans and better than the valveking in non high gain area (but not significantly)

The Crate will do everything but high gain metal better, and it should be able to handle most Metallica on it's own. With an OD, it'll handle everything. It's a much better size for home use. The VK is the choice if you need a lot of power cheap. If you don't need that power, there are better sounding amps out there. Like the Crate.

The man's not going to get any satisfaction out of a 50W tube amp at home. With the smaller amp, you can at least start to push the power tubes - and get the tube tone you're looking for.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
^True, i but i was just putting up another scenario for him.

I do believer the 50 watts is loud but if you put it in low watts it won't be overkill. But i do have a Crate V16 for small practice
Jem 7dbk
Ibanez s540 custom
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez RG520
Ibanez Roadstar II RG410
Ibanez Destroyer II 80's
Schecter C-1 Blackjack
Gibson LP Studio Lite
Fender Start MIM
Kramer Sustainer
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Peavey XXX 40W
Vox DA5
Guitarmeister, I'd prefer not to go with used. It's just a personal preference. Sorry, I should have included that in the first post. Still, thanks for the reply.
Out of curiosity, why don't you want to go used? Out of the amps you listed, the VK is the better choice, but you may find it to be too loud for bedroom use. The Flextone amps sound much better than the Spider series.
I don't like used just because I don't know everything it's been through. Especially with electronics. I'm just a cautious person.
I have to go now. I might be back later tonight or tomorrow.
Thanks for the help everyone!