Anyone have experience with the squier tele custom II? I'm thinking of getting one, the one with the P90's. I know it's an inexpensive guitar and it's a squier (which always gets a lot of hate...) but I heard it's a decent guitar.

I'm getting a Fender MIM standard strat soon too, so the strat will be my main guitar. But the squier custom tele II could serve its purpose for giving me P90 tone which I don't have, and I can play around with a tele, before I buy a MIM tele next year.

Any opinions on the squier tele custom II? How good are the pickups? Decent enough to keep?
I played one at my local shop and really liked it. I don't like it as much as my lite ash obviously but nice guitar regardless. I would just make sure you can handle the one you buy before buying as in my experience squier has bad quality control. I have seen some that are great and others that are horrible. I know one thing people may not like about that is the agathis body. For the price I think it is a pretty good guitar though. Also, check out rondomusic.com. They have some strat/tele knock offs that are pretty superb or so I hear.
~Nick
Quote by Bling Dogg
Anyone have experience with the squier tele custom II? I'm thinking of getting one, the one with the P90's. I know it's an inexpensive guitar and it's a squier (which always gets a lot of hate...) but I heard it's a decent guitar.

I'm getting a Fender MIM standard strat soon too, so the strat will be my main guitar. But the squier custom tele II could serve its purpose for giving me P90 tone which I don't have, and I can play around with a tele, before I buy a MIM tele next year.

Any opinions on the squier tele custom II? How good are the pickups? Decent enough to keep?

I don't have one but I've been checking them out every time I go to GC ... I'm also waiting for it to show up as a Stupid Deal of the Day at MF.

It's definitely a nice Bang for the $$$ guitar. The P90s with their own tone and volume controls allow maximum flexibility for dialing your tone. They actually sound decent with some gain ... the output is a bit hot.

The neck is very nice. Most of the ones I've auditioned have medium action, so it'll be adjusted if I got one.

Get one! Very nice, inexpensive addition for sure.

thanks.

I'm really thinking about getting it, but I keep hearing bad things about agathis wood. The rest of this guitar's features seem good enough to still make it a good guitar...

Does the agathis really make that much of a difference? What's so bad about it?
Quote by Bling Dogg
thanks.

I'm really thinking about getting it, but I keep hearing bad things about agathis wood. The rest of this guitar's features seem good enough to still make it a good guitar...

Does the agathis really make that much of a difference? What's so bad about it?
There's nothing inherently bad with Agathis. The bad rep apparently comes from a lot of cheap and poorly-made guitars from manufacturers who happen to use the inexpensive Agathis. It's closer to Mahogany as far as tone. I think the MII Squiers are pretty decent.

i had the special with the hums and loved it.
-Fender American Deluxe Jazz Bass
-Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
-Mesa Powerhouse 212
-Fender Bassman 410
-Tons of other bass/guitar gear

FAST MELODIC PUNK! CHECK OUT MY BAND!
therowleyestate.bandcamp.com
I think another reason for the bad rep is that agathis tends to be a cheaper wood and therefore is used on guitars with lower quality controls. Also I assume that the cheaper the guitar there is a significantly decreasing attention paid what cuts of wood are used to construct the instrument. That being said I thought the neck on the special I tried was phenomenal (it should be noted that I tried the humbucking version but there is a p90 version as well). It was a fun guitar to play with as it had multiple tone controls. I am actually considering picking one up if I can find a good deal. I have been in the market for a cheap humbucking guitar and I tend to like fender/squier more than gibson/epiphone models.
Are the P90 pickups the size of standard humbuckers?

I'm thinking about buying this guitar, but replace the bridge or neck with a humbucker, and keep the other pup as p90.
Last edited by Bling Dogg at May 19, 2008,