when im tapping my frets, my pinky finger sometimes locks up and its a pain to bend it all the way cause of the stretching. lets say im tapping on the high E string... when my index is on the 5th fret and my pinky is hammering on the 9th fret while my pinking hand/fingers or w/e is tapping the 12th fret..my pinky locks up when im trying to hammer on the 9th fret...idk why it does that or how to fix it or what.

Suggestions?
Yeah that happened to me before but mine was more of a sharp pain, quite annoying. It just went after awhile, though, how long have you been tapping?
Quote by 12Jim34
Yeah that happened to me before but mine was more of a sharp pain, quite annoying. It just went after awhile, though, how long have you been tapping?

ive been tapping for a couple of months. it doesnt hurt or anything, it's just when it locks up it's difficult to bend my pinky the rest of the way after it does. when it does i have to stop playing and bend my finger a couple times then i can keep playing.
practice, practice, practice

Originally Posted by fatdanny
Also, check out Autopsy, the vocalist sounds like hes about to eat your grandmother while f
Quote by rebeltildeth87
practice, practice, practice

i tap with my ring and middle fingers just fine....but my pinky's likes to be a b*tch
There is no direct way in which to correct that problem except for, don't push it. If you feel the pain, stop and take a little break. Then a few minutes later, come back and play it slower than you did before. Then speed up for a few reps, until it hurts. Start the process again. It can't be gaurenteed that the pain will go away entirely but I think you have to have EVH fingers to be in the groove of tapping perfectly!

Try and encourage more strength in your pinky by using other methods, such as bending with the little finger. Repeat hammer-ons and pull-offs with the pinky and the ring finger.
Last edited by AngryGoldfish at Apr 11, 2008,
Quote by led_zep_1789
i tap with my ring and middle fingers just fine....but my pinky's likes to be a b*tch

my pinky locks up sometimes too man, its not near as bad as it use to be, but if you make it work harder then it will act right

Originally Posted by fatdanny
Also, check out Autopsy, the vocalist sounds like hes about to eat your grandmother while f
Quote by AngryGoldfish
There is no direct way in which to correct that problem except for, don't push it. If you feel the pain, stop and take a little break. Then a few minutes later, come back and play it slower than you did before. Then speed up for a few reps, until it hurts. Start the process again. It can't be gaurenteed that the pain will go away entirely but I think you have to have EVH fingers to be in the groove of tapping perfectly!

Try and encourage more strength in your pinky by using other methods, such as bending with the little finger. Repeat hammer-ons and pull-offs with the pinky and the ring finger.

i thought i said there is NO pain, just difficulty bending the pinky =\ but to be honest, EVH is a good tapper but mostly what he is is musical gymnastics. he's mostly "hey lets see how fast i can play ;-)" but yes he is great at it. i think the best tapper is Stanley Jordan, he's amazing at it.
Last edited by led_zep_1789 at Apr 11, 2008,
If you don't, fine but you can still try and build up the muscles. I never found the idea of building muscles up my fingers hard. Its just repetition, theres not a great deal of thought involved.