Page 1 of 2

This is all my stuff. The strat and big amp on the bottom I bought this weekend. The Fender Strat is Mexican made model, so it's not the highest quality, but it's lightyears better than a Squire. I'm very happy with the strat so no questions there. My concern lies in my new amp.

The Fender Super Champ XD is a hybrid 15W amp, with tube AND digital aspects. It has 16 "voicings" (many of which are hardly any different, but to the trained ear, some might be able to tell some subtle differences), and a few effects that are pretty good. It has a treble and bass knob, and two channels. The first channel is clean, and the other channel houses all of the voicings, from clean, to heavy metal, to acoustic. It's pretty diverse. I purchased it at Guitar Center for $299.

Here's my problem. I am somewhat of an amp newb. I've personally never known the pleasure of owning a full tube, so I don't actually know for certain what that "warm, living" tone is. Because of this, I am unsure if my super champ hybrid is actually giving me a decent tube tone. My question to you guys is, does the Super Champ XD do justice to the tube tone?

One side question: I bought this amp on the preferred players card, so I have 30 days to return it in case I don't like it. In you guys' honest opinion, could I have spent the 300 dollars on something better? As far as size and loudness, I'm perfectly happy. The tone, I'm happy with, but I'm not sure if theres something out there even better that I don't know of. I like to play classic rock and blues like Hendrix.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Play the clean channel. It is all tube so that would be the tube tone you are looking for. THe distortion really isn't like tube but it is really nice for a small practice amp and it is warm because ofthe tube poweramp.

Is there any way to "overdrive" the clean channel? There's no gain knob for channel one so I think I out of luck there. How do I get a good distorted tube tone out of this amp?
You turn the volume up really high. Once you get to about 6 on the clean channel you will get overdrive. But seriously, the distortion on the amp is pretty good. If you really want all tube then get a Crate V16 for $269. None of the fancy effects but you will have all tube overdrive.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
You turn the volume up really high. Once you get to about 6 on the clean channel you will get overdrive. But seriously, the distortion on the amp is pretty good. If you really want all tube then get a Crate V16 for $269. None of the fancy effects but you will have all tube overdrive.

Lets say I buy the Crate V50 (hell, an extra 100 dollars and I get 50 watts. Why not?). What pedals do you suggest I get along with it to enhance the tone and get a nice gritty vintage tone? My current pedals are a crybaby wah standard, the Zoom G2 (a nice little multi-effects pedal, but it's awfully digital sounding), and a Boss RC-20 Loop Station. I would imagine the Boss Overdrive pedals are nice for what I'm looking for...
the Digitech Bad Monkey is good for 50 bucks. I would reccomend the V32 because it is more british voiced which means more Marshally gain. Plus the 30 watts is still tons loud enough for anything. I would ditche that zoom pedal. Maybe mod the wah for true bypass and a better sweep. It will make it much better sounding.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
the Digitech Bad Monkey is good for 50 bucks. I would reccomend the V32 because it is more british voiced which means more Marshally gain. Plus the 30 watts is still tons loud enough for anything. I would ditche that zoom pedal. Maybe mod the wah for true bypass and a better sweep. It will make it much better sounding.

The v32 is a palomino, and it's the same price as the v50. Is there any difference between them other than the wattage? You say the v32 is more british voiced... really...?
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Yeah. The V32 is Marshally and Voxey while the V50 has 6l6 tubes so it is more american voiced like Fenders.

Alright, I'll think about it.

As for pedals, whats a good fuzz pedal for a relatively low price (30-80 dollar range). I'm really intrigued about the Dunlop "Octavio" pedal. It looks like a little white cheese wedge and does something funky with octaves or something, but I noticed it also has a "fuzz" knob, so it might be just what I'm looking for to get the perfect Hendrix tone. Can anyone vouch for the quality of the Octavio pedal?
Big Muff?
And mod it?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I watched a kid at the battle of the bands using one tonight with the line out to the PA. Really a nice sound with a 808 in front on the clean side. That little amp kicked some serious butt.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
I dont know man i think your just getting into this "GOTTA HAVE A TUBE AMP" mentality
sure its a hybrid but its unlike any other hybrid out there id take that amp over the crate anyday. I must agree tube amps are superior but compared to Paolomino it dosent really matter. its a budget tube amp and i dont know about you guys but ive played both amps the Fender blew the other amp out of the watter, you could really hear that power section in there. Dude just give it sometime and you wont regret buying it. It might aswell be a tube amp, just one last thing, this aint no valvetronix, or cube, its litrately sounds tube.
Just play your Cube and the XD next to each other compare cleans then dirty and youll see the diffrence.
Last edited by the-kidR44 at Apr 12, 2008,
Quote by the-kidR44
I dont know man i think your just getting into this "GOTTA HAVE A TUBE AMP" mentality
sure its a hybrid but its unlike any other hybrid out there id take that amp over the crate anyday. I must agree tube amps are superior but compared to Paolomino it dosent really matter. its a budget tube amp and i dont know about you guys but ive played both amps the Fender blew the other amp out of the watter, you could really hear that power section in there. Dude just give it sometime and you wont regret buying it. It might aswell be a tube amp, just one last thing, this aint no valvetronix, or cube, its litrately sounds tube.
Just play your Cube and the XD next to each other compare cleans then dirty and youll see the diffrence.

There is a perfect example of an April 08er speaking out of their ass. Sure, maybe don't like the Palominos, but they are nice amps and do beat the XDs in every category except versatility. Even there the Palomino is close.
^i dont now buddy its just opinions i guese.
I know no one would back me on this one couse your all tube freaks and **** but i dont care, calling the Palomino versatile is a bit of a stretch, if anything its got a really insensitive EQ you could get a good crunch out of it, and some tube tones, but thats it its nothing remarkable. And in my opinion your full of **** buddy if you played those two amps next to each other you wouldnt have said what you said, the fender beats out the Pals in the clean section, and as for the dirty i would say its just as good or even bettor.
I guese this is it how it goes on this Forum
TUBE>anything else
but **** it thats my opinion and i think its valid usually i would fallow that mato but not between these two amps
Damn guys, I found the coolest setting on the Super Champ XD with the perfect hendrix tone. Voicing 9 with the gain at 4.5 using the neck pickups on a strat. It's perfect! I don't think I'm gonna trade in this amp anymore. I love it! I'll probably pick up the bad monkey or the blues pedal sometime soon! Thanks for the help anyways guys!
^also try bringing the volume up. its a hybrid but i bet it sounds better cranked because its got both preamp and a poweramp tube .

And if you want 100% tube like some guy mentioned above put it on the clean crank it up, make it clipp, and put that bad monkey trough it for a boost, but if you want some good fuzz i suggest an EHX Big Muff
Last edited by the-kidR44 at Apr 12, 2008,
I'm with AC/DC on this one. The V32 is much more British voiced, and is a really good amp for the price. If you can, look for a used American one. If not, there's nothing wrong with the Viet ones, some are just a tad iffy
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Yeah. The V32 is Marshally and Voxey while the V50 has 6l6 tubes so it is more american voiced like Fenders.

the v32 and lower wattage ones have el84's and the v50 has el34's. the v50's okay... not my favorite though.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by UnsignedRecords
the v32 and lower wattage ones have el84's and the v50 has el34's. the v50's okay... not my favorite though.

True, but there are two V50s. One is black with 6l6s and one is cream with EL34s. The EL34 one is 700 bucks and the 6l6 one is around $400. That is why I was talking about the 6l6 one because it is the same price as the V32.
you mean the palomino's vs the black ones? oh, i didn't know they differed that way. but i think you have that mixed up too, the palomino v50's have el34's, and i guess the black v50's have 6l6's.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by UnsignedRecords
you mean the palomino's vs the black ones? oh, i didn't know they differed that way. but i think you have that mixed up too, the palomino v50's have el34's, and i guess the black v50's have 6l6's.

And the Palominos are cream colored, correct? That means they have EL34s like I said.
oh true, i forgot the palomino v50 was listed at $700. at GC they had them for $400. i always assumed the black ones were of better quality, my bad.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

the fender super champ XD is the one amp from fender that i cannot stand. sounds way too bright and it can't compare to the pro/blues jr amps (which are just a tad bit more expensive).

i don't think you will ever get that true "warm tube" sound with the super champ XD. sorry
Quote by JohnFrusciante6
the fender super champ XD is the one amp from fender that i cannot stand. sounds way too bright and it can't compare to the pro/blues jr amps (which are just a tad bit more expensive).

i don't think you will ever get that true "warm tube" sound with the super champ XD. sorry

Sorry I have three silver faces and a black face and have been playing fender for years. If you can't find a fender tone you didn't spend enough time with it.I admit I am replacing the speaker because I think thats the weakest link.But I have used it numerous times as a preamp and thru a 6 ten cabinet and its all fender on the clean side.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
I've got a question. If I used the Screamin Blues:

to get my main distortion (using channel 1's clean), and to set a rhythm down, could I use a Bad Monkey:

to get a "lead" boost? Would that work well? If so, what order would the pedals need to be in?
Quote by acdcrocks0323
I think the distortion side of the amp would sound better. Then you can boost the poweramp with the bad monkey.

Yeah, but if I'm not mistaken, the distortion side of the amp is not tube. Or is it half tube? I dunno, I just want to experience a full tube distortion tone.
Quote by Sample246
Yeah, but if I'm not mistaken, the distortion side of the amp is not tube. Or is it half tube? I dunno, I just want to experience a full tube distortion tone.

Well you wouldn't get full tube distortion with pedals. The Distortion side of the amp is digital preamp with tube poweramp. That means you can still push the tubes with a pedal and it will sound nice.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Well you wouldn't get full tube distortion with pedals. The Distortion side of the amp is digital preamp with tube poweramp. That means you can still push the tubes with a pedal and it will sound nice.

So would you say it's best that the poweramp, rather than the preamp is the tube powered one? Does it still do the tube tone justice?
Quote by acdcrocks0323
It isn't really the same, but the channel is pretty nice. Go try some all tube 15 watt combos at the store to see if you really can tell the difference.

Alright, thanks for the help. I might end up just getting the Bad Monkey.

Which raises one more question. Is the bad monkey a good tube overdrive pedal? I've heard the Ibanez Tube Screamer is the best of the tube overdrive pedals, but is the Bad Monkey anywhere close? The price is so so affordable, that I'm kind of skeptical...
^Digitech Bad Monkey for 50 bucks = Epic Buy

Great pedal
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Alright, thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate it. I'll be going back to Guitar Center beginning of May and I'll keep what you guys said in mind!
Ok guys, I've had time to think. And here's my mindset.

Like I said before, I've never really experienced a FULL tube distortion. And supposedly the distortion side of the Fender amp is not full tube, so I technically STILL don't know what it sounds like exactly. I'm going back to Guitar Center May 1st with the option to trade in this amp for a full refund and get somethings else, or keep the amp. Here's what I'm thinking. If the distortion channel of the Super Champ XD is not full tube, then is it really any better than the distortion I'd get from a solid state amp? I'm afraid that I'm paying 400 dollars for the full tube clean fender tone on channel 1. And to be quite honest, I'm not much of a clean tone person, and I could live without full tube clean tone. So my question to you is this. Would a bigger solid state amp for the same price be more bang for the buck than the Super Champ XD?
Page 1 of 2