Hey guys, I've been thinkin about gettin a new guitar for a while, and although I thought I figured out which one, I'm kinda having second thoughts to it. I've been playing for just over two years, and I have the same crappy starter-pack guitar from the begining. I bought a new amp (Roland Cube 60) relatively recently, and have saved up some money for a new guitar now.

I had always been set on a Epiphone Les Paul Custom, because I played quite a few of them and they were really nice... Its just that recently I started to branch off in the genre I want to play, and I'm not sure if another guitar would suit my needs better.

I originally set out to play classic rock, which would be fine for the LP, but ever since getting into more shred music (Petrucci and Gilbert mostly) I've realized that its the music I would really like to play. That being said, I'm not a great shredder yet, but have improved significantly over the last few months. I don't listen to metal really, pretty much just instrumental shred. So I'm wondering what guitar could I get that would be suitable for that, but also versatile enough to play classic or alternative rock (foo fighters mostly)

I'll have around 600-700 USD to spend, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
An Ibanez S470DXQM sounds like the perfect guitar for you. They are designed for shredding, but they are still versatile enough to handle just about any genre.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
I was the same way. I likes ESP, epiphone and schecter, but when I was handed a JAckson, I was blown away. It has a great feel to the neck and an awesome sound. This guitar is technicaly a metal solo guitar, but it'll work for music from rock to metal.
SDooper Man

Guitars
-Jackson DK2M
-Pignose
-Washburn accoustic

Amps
-Fender Frontman 25w DSP
-Roland Micro-Cube

Effects
-Digitech:Hot Head
-Digitech:Black 13
-Vinci: wah
You could save up a bit more for RG2550Z. If you really want to then get that LP Custom; I personally love the feeling on them, but don't dig the shorter scale.
No man is your friend, no man is your enemy, but every man is your teacher.

When he asked for John Myung, John Myung said:"Who the hell is John Myung?"

Proud User of Ibanez, Korg, Rocktron, ENGL
A Schecter C-1 Classic or a CSH-1
Thanks for all the quick suggestions s far guys, ill be sure to look into all of them...

One thing i forgot is that I'd like to have 24 frets, buts its not a neccesity really
i would get the epiphone les paul they r very good for lead and rhythem guitar playing and have a very nice tone
I looked into the Ibanez on the second post and its pretty nice... I'm still torn though, I'll have to test all these out now
It sounds like an Ibanez S series would be good for you.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
+1 to Ibanez S Series, perfect for shredding with outstanding tremolo and very fast neck.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Quote by Sdooper_Man
I was the same way. I likes ESP, epiphone and schecter, but when I was handed a JAckson, I was blown away. It has a great feel to the neck and an awesome sound. This guitar is technicaly a metal solo guitar, but it'll work for music from rock to metal.

+1, I have a dx10d. AMAZING
I like to write, and support Chemistry For Improved Life.

Please, recommend me any bands or artists of any genre or medium. Paintings, poets, writers, books, paintings, songs, musicians.

Anything, anything at all. Please.